SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 12:01 AM   #1
JOKERSL2
JOKERSL2 is on a distinguished road

Default Just did a Hack Job with the Valve Cover Gasket

I think I did a real crappy job with the RTV for the valve cover. It ozed out at every edge as I put it on. I won't know for sure until i start the car tomorrow but I wanted to know if too much RTV can harm the engine?

If it is indeed a hack job then I'll probably just take it to the dealer because I won't have the time to do it again with the rainy season about to start. Dealer quoted me $200 something for the job. Is that about right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JOKERSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JOKERSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2004, 12:40 AM   #2
schultp
schultp is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Just did a Hack Job with the Valve Cover Gasket

It is OK to have a reasonably thin bead of RTV overlap the valve cover edge. If it was dripping down the sides then that would be excessive

I had my engine rebuilt by a professionaly rebuilding company. The valve and timing covers had a healthy, uniform overlap of RTV. No leaks at all.

When I removed these covers recently the inner overlap matched the outer edge overlap of RTV. It makes sense that the inner edge will basically look like the outer edge of the cover. So, if it isn't excessive on the outside it should be OK on the inside. Actually, it is better to have a little overlap in my mind....if you go light on the RTV even in a small area you will likely spring a leak!

Could you post pics?

If you feel it needs to be redone and you don't want to spend the $200 then you may want to buy the OEM gasket from Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to schultp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help schultp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-31-2004, 12:49 AM   #3
JOKERSL2

It's dark out now so the pics will have to be later. I trimmed off some excess areas with an xacto knife.

I thought abou getting the preformed OEM but like i said it's coming down to time and it took me 5 hrs to clean it up just right. I also figure it will leak worse than before if it's bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JOKERSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-31-2004, 02:30 AM   #4
Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

The RTV won't mix with oil and get into the engine. It turns solid after a little while, and won't go anywhere. It's a solid even at fairly high temperatures, much higher than you'd get at the edge of the crankcase, anyway.

'00 SL2m- DD, 186K miles
'05 Honda CR-V- wife's DD and my upright bass hauler
'84 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk- toy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Twin_Cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Twin_Cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-01-2005, 04:37 PM   #5
JOKERSL2

Here are pics of the gasket. I drove the car yesterday and so far so good but I didn't check the plug holes yet. The weird thing is that the clicking noise I often here is gone and/or very subdued.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-02-2005, 12:17 AM   #6
schultp
schultp is on a distinguished road

This looks OK. If it is like this consisitently around the entire cover you shouldn't have any trouble. This is how mine looks after I used RTV. Also, this is how it looked after my professional engine rebuild 3 years ago.

Good luck,

Paul.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to schultp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help schultp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-02-2005, 01:39 AM   #7
dcamden
dcamden is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
1993 SL2

I did mine about 2,000 miles ago, it looked to have about the same amount of overlap. I've had no problems and most of all NO leaks. (knock on wood) Don

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcamden's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcamden reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-02-2005, 01:42 PM   #8
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKERSL2
I think I did a real crappy job with the RTV for the valve cover. It ozed out at every edge as I put it on. I won't know for sure until i start the car tomorrow but I wanted to know if too much RTV can harm the engine?
What diameter of a bead (e.g., mm) did you lay?

On RTV that has a plastic applicator tube on it's tip that must be cut, you determine the diameter of the bead to be laid by where you cust the tip. If you cut the tip closer to the end, you'll lay thinner bead. Cut the tip farther away from the tip, you'll lay a fatter bead. Whatever you do, I would think a bead of 2-3mm diameter should be sufficient to seal across the entire width of the valve cover gasket surface.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-02-2005, 04:32 PM   #9
JOKERSL2

I cut the applicator to about 3/8 thick. I started having trouble going around curves where it looked like it was going to hang off the edge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-02-2005, 04:58 PM   #10
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKERSL2
I cut the applicator to about 3/8 thick. I started having trouble going around curves where it looked like it was going to hang off the edge.
The ID of the applicator tip, when cut, needs to be about 2mm thick in order to seal the valve cover. 3mm is probably OK. 3/8 inch (if you're referring to the ID) is way too thick. That's almost a full centimeter, or 10mm for comparison. Even the oil pan only needs 4mm to seal. I assume you were referring to the OD of the applicator tip, not the ID? (The ID of the tip determines the size of the bead, much like an extrusion die.)

Anyway, I don't think you have a problem as long as the excess that ran on the inside of the cover doesn't break off and clog up the oil ports or galleries.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-02-2005, 08:27 PM   #11
freakerz
Advanced Member
freakerz is on a distinguished road

Did you put the cover when the RTV was skinned, so it would mold onto the head? If not, that's the reason for leaks! Believe me

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to freakerz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help freakerz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-02-2005, 09:44 PM   #12
JOKERSL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakerz
Did you put the cover when the RTV was skinned, so it would mold onto the head? If not, that's the reason for leaks! Believe me
Yes i waited 10 min or so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread