SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2019, 08:32 PM   #1
Sky Pilot
Sky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Need part number/nomenclature

Anyone know what this rectangular black part is, mine's cracked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black Part.jpg (93.0 KB, 28 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky Pilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2019, 10:17 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Need part number/nomenclature

Does this help?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service Information.pdf (117.1 KB, 16 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:59 PM   #3
Sky Pilot
Sky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to allSky Pilot is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Does this help?
It did, thanks. It seems the part I'm looking for is #90573182 and unfortunately doesn't seem to be available anywhere - discontinued it says.

Isn't in amazing that for lack of a $20 part, while it doesn't render the car inoperable, it may as well be, because there's no way I'm going to pass the CA emissions test in just a few months without it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sky Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2019, 01:50 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ebay? Online junk yards? Local junk yards?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:43 AM   #5
02 LW300
02 LW300 is just really nice02 LW300 is just really nice02 LW300 is just really nice02 LW300 is just really nice

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

If you can wait until next weekend I may have a good one on an engine with very bent valves. I intended to look this weekend but I had way too many other chores. If I have a good one I will PM you!

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:21 AM   #6
Sky Pilot

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
If you can wait until next weekend I may have a good one on an engine with very bent valves. I intended to look this weekend but I had way too many other chores. If I have a good one I will PM you!
I absolutely can.. thanks..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-29-2019, 10:19 AM   #7
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

So your saying your local auto parts store doesn't have or can find this part? Just asking since the is a PCV cranckcase vent as others pointed to. If for $20 that pretty good price for it. For something like that getting it new is better for your emissions.

Last edited by Russet; 04-29-2019 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: revise

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:10 PM   #8
02 LW300
02 LW300 is just really nice02 LW300 is just really nice02 LW300 is just really nice02 LW300 is just really nice

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Pulled it this morning and it is in good condition. The hose that runs under the intake was hard so I had to cut it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DD0F2208-AB4F-419D-97FE-48190C2CC04B.jpg (151.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg AC32A06E-B6C7-4663-AA64-761A90C16E1C.jpg (137.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg F317C7BF-D643-4564-BFC5-95E62E60FB61.jpg (127.4 KB, 12 views)

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2019, 12:25 AM   #9
Sky Pilot

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2008 SKY Red Line
Thumbs Up Re: Need part number/nomenclature

Well, thanks to "02 LW300" I have a part that works.

And just for kickers, this is how the repair shop tried to solve the issue... yes, that shiny stuff around the edge is some type of glue that didn't work. Jack@sses!

Thanks again "02 LW300"...!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-05-2019, 08:19 PM   #10
02 LW300

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Glad I had what you needed.
Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #11
Sky Pilot

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2008 SKY Red Line
Thumbs Up Re: Need part number/nomenclature

Thanks again, Andy. I drove to/from work, about 70 miles and no light. Can't say it won't come back on, but the last time I didn't drive 10 miles and it came on. So we'll see what happens tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-08-2019, 10:23 PM   #12
Sky Pilot

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2008 SKY Red Line

Well, day 3, no P0174 code coming up... thanks again Andy!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2019, 09:17 AM   #13
Sky Pilot

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2008 SKY Red Line

Still no code... but what's really interesting is that my gas mileage has gone up 3 to 4 mpg from the precondition. I had been running 22 to 24 and this morning my tank average was 27...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #14
02 LW300

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

My last tank was 2 mpg better than ever before I think they are finally back to summer blend fuel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2019, 11:41 AM   #15
Sky Pilot

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
My last tank was 2 mpg better than ever before I think they are finally back to summer blend fuel.
Iím not certain itís entirely the summer blend that gives better gas mileage, but rather the ambient temperature. For instance, as you may know, your engine uses air and gas in order to generate energy. In fact, it uses huge amounts of the stuff, though only the oxygen is used in combustion.

Anyway, one property of air, like many substances, is that it expands when it warms. This makes less dense molecules and are spread further apart. This means that every gulp of air your car is taking during combustion has less oxygen in it at warmer temperatures, and if there's less oxygen, the engine compensates by using less fuel. If it didn't you'd run really rich. This is bad from a power perspective, but good for economy. The engine is combusting less fuel due to the warm air, improving fuel economy. During winter, the reverse is true--denser air encourages the engine to chuck in more fuel, boosting performance and harming economy.

Out here for the past week it's been cool, maybe high 60's to low 70's, sometimes the lower 60's, for California, thatís cool, so I'm thinking that the pvc vent tube, being cracked was causing me to run rich, hence the code and reduced gas mileage.

If I recall correctly, the L300 has an mpg range of 21 to 29, with roughly 90% of my driving being highway, that would put my mpg average in the 26/27 range, where it is today. I was in the 22/24 range, which puts me on the city side of the mpg range.

It seems this little part helped my LW300 in a couple of good ways.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2019, 04:01 PM   #16
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
Iím not certain itís entirely the summer blend that gives better gas mileage, but rather the ambient temperature. For instance, as you may know, your engine uses air and gas in order to generate energy. In fact, it uses huge amounts of the stuff, though only the oxygen is used in combustion.

Anyway, one property of air, like many substances, is that it expands when it warms. This makes less dense molecules and are spread further apart. This means that every gulp of air your car is taking during combustion has less oxygen in it at warmer temperatures, and if there's less oxygen, the engine compensates by using less fuel. If it didn't you'd run really rich. This is bad from a power perspective, but good for economy. The engine is combusting less fuel due to the warm air, improving fuel economy. During winter, the reverse is true--denser air encourages the engine to chuck in more fuel, boosting performance and harming economy.

Out here for the past week it's been cool, maybe high 60's to low 70's, sometimes the lower 60's, for California, thatís cool, so I'm thinking that the pvc vent tube, being cracked was causing me to run rich, hence the code and reduced gas mileage.

If I recall correctly, the L300 has an mpg range of 21 to 29, with roughly 90% of my driving being highway, that would put my mpg average in the 26/27 range, where it is today. I was in the 22/24 range, which puts me on the city side of the mpg range.

It seems this little part helped my LW300 in a couple of good ways.
^^^ That is very good gas mileage for a 3.0 engine. It is agreed that the summer blend gas does offer better mileage.

Glad to hear you got your code problem taken care of.

Hats off to Andy for helping a forum member!

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:46 PM   #17
Sky Pilot

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb6667 View Post
^^^ That is very good gas mileage for a 3.0 engine. It is agreed that the summer blend gas does offer better mileage.

Glad to hear you got your code problem taken care of.

Hats off to Andy for helping a forum member!
Absolutely. I drove 288.6 miles and took 10.7 gallons. Now I have this oil leak to get fixed and I should be good for another 185K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!