SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 02:55 PM   #41
canaryrx8
canaryrx8 is on a distinguished road

sweeet. Thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to canaryrx8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help canaryrx8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2005, 05:03 PM   #42
joyrider
joyrider is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default Re: Changing the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor)

Wolfman, you are awesome. It would have taken me forever just to find the right socket.
BTW, I think removing the battery (I have a 95) is a good idea--there was no way my short fingers could reach the plastic connector. With the battery out of the way I had no trouble.
The only sad news is I discovered that the damn thing had already been replaced so I did not solve my problem (d'oh!!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joyrider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joyrider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-05-2005, 09:10 PM   #43
HomeComing99
HomeComing99 is on a distinguished road

Wolfman - you ARE awesome. Just did mine on a cold engine. I would say I lost maybe 1/2 cup of coolant. I wedged a towel under the hole and it soaked all the coolant right up! No mess.

I forgot to unkook the battery for 15 seconds. Will I still be ok?

Tomorrow I am having my thermostat replaced. Hoping the car will run like new after these two cheap and easy fixes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HomeComing99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HomeComing99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2005, 02:06 AM   #44
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeComing99
I forgot to unkook the battery for 15 seconds. Will I still be ok?
most likey yes, but do not expect any miracles right away, the PCM will adapt in time(at least a few hundard miles). dissconnecting the battery(or as i perfer, pulling the PCM B fuse) will erase the PCM's keep alive memory(KAM or RAM) and make things a lot faster(rarely more then 5 miles)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2005, 08:45 AM   #45
HomeComing99

Sierra,

I just moved from Lisle, IL up to the cold north last year! We would have been nieghbors!

I can certainly find the fuse and pull it. I didnt figure pulling a fuse would do much. Is that in my regular fuse box? Do I have to do anything special?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help HomeComing99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2005, 09:32 AM   #46
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Fm >> HomeComing <<

> Is that in my regular fuse box? <
Yes, you should find it in the fuse box, which is located in front of the battery. In taking the top of the fuse box off, just look on the inside top to see where the actual fuse is located. The inside Top has a full outline of every fuse and their respective locations.

> 95 SL 2 = 649,619 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 4/19/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable <

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2005, 10:55 AM   #47
HomeComing99

Replaced the sensor last night. Pulled the fuse this morning.

OH MY GOD - This is a new car. It idles about 1000% better, runs better and the trans is as smooth as silk. Not bad for a car with 87k miles!

Thanks for all your help!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2005, 10:25 PM   #48
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

FYI, to no one in particular... if you're attempting to determine if your ECT sensor is faulty, and you want to test this theory before buying/ordering a new part, you can temporarily swap out the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor on the inlet to the air filter box and put that in the ECT sensor's place to see if that resolves the problem. The IAT sensor is the same as the old resin-style ECT sensor, but it's probably not cracked because it's surrounded by air rather than hot water and antifreeze.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2005, 01:45 PM   #49
flapjabby
flapjabby has a spectacular aura aboutflapjabby has a spectacular aura about

Jacked up driver's side as suggested and lost very little fluid.

One note, on my '94 SOHC, the two wire sensor isn't actually right under where the radiator hose is connect to engine, that's the sensor for the gauge, the ECTS for the fan (the two wire sensor that this thread is about) is actually down and under a few inches away from the one wire sensor. I first mistakenly replaced the one wire (green) sensor which has a slightly different connector than the two wire.

ECTS Part # 21025106 ($17 in Phoenix,AZ).

I also pulled the PCM B fuse and replaced it to reset.

How long after I replace the ECTS should I expect to see results? Immediately after replacing, the engine still revs up to 3k rpm on start, then drops to 2.5k-2k rpm while in neutral/park. In gear it's around 1k rpm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flapjabby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flapjabby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2005, 08:19 PM   #50
green
green is on a distinguished road

My 95 SW runs 2500 rpm after starting up. After taking it totranny shop, the mechanic disconnected the engine coolant temperature sensor #12117087. It's a two wire connector with white coating with two butt connectors. What wires does it connect to (where are they located color, green or black?) Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to green's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help green reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2005, 08:52 PM   #51
green

Dear Wolfman:

I've got a new engine coolant temperature sensor part #12117087 from Saturn. The temperature gauge is not working and the dealer didn't give me a diagram or instructions. The mechanics at tranny shop disconnected the sensor 95 SW1 and it's missing. The new part has white coating and two butt connectors. I don't know where it goes to. I only see one wire being loose close to the connector and under the air housing. Please help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help green reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2005, 11:08 AM   #52
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

That part number you keep referencing is the replacement CONNECTOR, not the sensor itself. It needs to be hooked up to the single wire from the engine harness that feeds the dash temperature gauge. I don't know offhand what color the wire is, since my FSM only covers the 1996 model year, which only uses one dual-wire sensor, but if you have a loose single wire in that area, I would venture to guess that's probably it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2005, 08:52 PM   #53
green

After getting my 95 Saturn from tranny shop the horn didn't work neither temp gauge. After putting a connector temp gauge works but engine light remains on. Is something wrong with the wiring so the engine light remains on and the horn does not work?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2005, 12:50 AM   #54
flapjabby
flapjabby has a spectacular aura aboutflapjabby has a spectacular aura about

I replaced ECTS, reset PCM-B, and have driven over 150miles, yet my engine on '94 SOHC still idles around 2500 rpm in park/neutral. Temp gauge reads ok, about in the middle.

Do I need to have more patience and let the car go more miles before I see results or is there another issue I should look into getting fixed?

thanks in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flapjabby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flapjabby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2005, 02:16 PM   #55
denclar
denclar is on a distinguished road

Called my friendly local Saturn dealer to get a price on an ECTS and the Parts Dept. quoted me $20 but said they recommend also replacing the contact thing that connects to the ECTS--another $30.

From what I'm reading here, that sounds like a rip off.

Anyone have an opinion?

Also I called the Service Dept. and they quoted me a price of $160 to replace ECTS and contact. $110 labor?

I'm really losing faith in this dealership.

Two questions--

First--is it a good idea to replace the contact as well as the ECTS?

Second--my SES light isn't on, but my 97 SC2 (5 speed) idles at about 1000, I'm getting about 24-25 mpg, and my temp gauge never goes above 1/4 even in the hottest Florida weather. Could I have a bad ECTS but no light?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to denclar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help denclar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2005, 03:22 PM   #56
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Fm >> denclar <<

> First -- is it a good idea to replace the contact as well as the ECTS? <
If the "contact" is not damaged, then I would simply replace the ECTS
Quote:
>> Second -- my SES light isn't on, but my 97 SC2 (5 speed) idles at about 1000, I'm getting about 24-25 mpg, and my temp gauge never goes above 1/4 even in the hottest Florida weather. Could I have a bad ECTS but no light?<<
Big time -- Yes, you could have a bad ECTS, with no fault being sent to the computer, thus no Check Engine Light.

> 95 SL 2 = 649,619 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 4/19/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable <

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2005, 07:58 PM   #57
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m will become famous soon enoughDavid 93 SL2m will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Wrench Re: Changing the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denclar
I'm getting about 24-25 mpg, and my temp gauge never goes above 1/4 even in the hottest Florida weather. Could I have a bad ECTS but no light?
The temperature gauge reading indicates that most likely the thermostat is broken - stuck in the "open" position.

If the PCM sees the engine is not up to normal operating temperatures (via the coolant temperature sensor) then it will adjust the fuel/air ratio so that the engine will consume more gasoline in an effort to bring the engine up to normal operating temperatures more quickly. But if the engine never reaches normal operating temperatures, then it will continue to keep that ratio of fuel to air on the "rich" side - and fuel economy will suffer. Based on this and the symptons described I'd guess the thermostat needs to be replaced.

Since we need to drain the coolant in order to replace the thermostat, it would not hurt to replace the coolant temperature sensor at the same time. Since the temperature gauge on the dashboard is working and since the fuel economy is suffering, I'd guess the coolant temperature sensor is most likely okay. The coolant temperature sensor is $14 plus or minus $5. But for less than $20 and with the coolant drained I'd probably just replace it as cheap insurance.

By the same token, this is also a decent time to think about replacing the upper and lower radiator hoses...

Tip for draining the coolant from the S-Series: there is a drain valve at the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side and there is a 10 mm drain bolt for the engine block located near the underside of the thermostat.

As of Sep 2014
∙ 1993 SL2, 209K
∙ 1996 SC2,123K
∙ 2002 SL1, 90K
∙ 2004 VUE, 96K
Past
∙ 1993 SC2, 140K
∙ 1996 SC2, 157K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200, 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2005, 08:50 PM   #58
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
If the "contact" is not damaged, then I would simply replace the ECTS
I think it's rare for the connector to be damaged, unless someone tried to force it on the sensor in the wrong orientation. A more likely problem is corrosion inside the connector that should be obvious even to an untrained eye. If in doubt, just reach down beneath the head, disconnect the connector, and examine it. If it's not corroded, it's probably fine and doesn't need to be replaced. Then you can save some money. Just check it yourself for free.

FWIW, I would change the ECT sensor before replacing the thermostat. You don't have to drain the coolant to replace the sensor. You will to replace the 'stat. Start with the easy stuff first and then see if that corrects your apparently "low" dash temperature gauge readings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2005, 10:55 PM   #59
denclar
denclar is on a distinguished road

My thinking is that since on my model the ECTS sends information to both the temp gauge and the computer, the water temp may be OK but the sensor is sending low readings to both the gauge and the computer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to denclar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help denclar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2005, 11:03 PM   #60
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by denclar
My thinking is that since on my model the ECTS sends information to both the temp gauge and the computer, the water temp may be OK but the sensor is sending low readings to both the gauge and the computer.
My thoughts exactly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread