SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2007, 01:33 PM   #41
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Saturn Astra

If Saturn does the Astra right then it will very likely change my mind about my next car being a Scion. Scions are reliable, fun to drive, high value - and sell for a fixed, no-haggle price. If you don't like that, then you must be new around here. They also generate the kind of owner enthusiasm (and on-line forums) that Saturns have.

If GM pulls a Ford Focus move, and takes all the goodness and quality out of the Astra in bringing it here, then I'm gone!

(Note to the marketing department: I was born in 1949.)

P.S. The Astra wagon is the one I really want to replace my SW2!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
100KSW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2007, 01:47 PM   #42
SkyVue
SkyVue is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Could the Opel Zafira be next? Would make sense to bring it over here and compete against the Mazda 5, But please bring it over with a five speed transmission!! Saturn/ GM are you listening?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SkyVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SkyVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SkyVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #43
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Some pictures I found.....good ones of the interior.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #44
TCL
TCL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_69 View Post
Some pictures I found.....good ones of the interior.
Good find. The interior looks better to me in these photos than it did in the press release photos.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TCL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TCL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #45
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Nice photos saturn69! The blue 3-door is to die for. I just had to use one for my new avatar!

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:03 PM   #46
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL View Post
Good find. The interior looks better to me in these photos than it did in the press release photos.
I don't know who takes the photos for GM, but if someone with a camera phone can take better ones than the GM guy, he needs to be fired. Apparently, the interior has a soft, rubbery feel like VW or Honda, unlike the AMT/ERTL feeling of the Ion and Cobalt. That's good news.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2007, 05:03 AM   #47
TCL

This photo from another site shows what looks like aluminum colored trim on the dash. Maybe this car has different trim than the one in the press release.

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/SaturnAstra3/868420

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TCL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TCL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2007, 11:09 AM   #48
saturn_69
Master Member

Here is an article on the 1.8L engine in our Astra:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-09-2007, 05:26 AM   #49
lordkosc
lordkosc is on a distinguished road

ugh ,that center console looks horrible... what are the 4 holes in the console corners, are they screw holes?

08 Mazda 6 ? 08 Vue Hybrid ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lordkosc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lordkosc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lordkosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:58 AM   #50
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordkosc View Post
ugh ,that center console looks horrible... what are the 4 holes in the console corners, are they screw holes?

No, they are the holes you insert the radio removal tool into. You don't have to tear the dash apart to upgrade the stereo, kinda like Ford does. I think the center stack looks pretty good. Better than that black and red boom-box/Pontiac throwback in the Mazda 3. The Astra interior also comes in several colors other than silver. Piano black, woodgrain, spun aluminum, brushed aluminum, carbon fiber....depends on the trim level.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #51
SkyVue
SkyVue is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

I like it! Simple yet functionable. Kinda like Sweedish furniture. LOL, Saturn_69 seems so far you and I are about the only ones liking the Astra. Oh well just goes to show you , You can't please everyone. I for one can't wait to get mine!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SkyVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SkyVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SkyVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #52
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 will become famous soon enoughCitation84 will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Is that a timing belt in that picture ??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #53
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 will become famous soon enoughCitation84 will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
I don't know who takes the photos for GM, but if someone with a camera phone can take better ones than the GM guy, he needs to be fired. Apparently, the interior has a soft, rubbery feel like VW or Honda, unlike the AMT/ERTL feeling of the Ion and Cobalt. That's good news.
Finally a decent description of what the element of difference is between cheap plastic in one car over cheap plastic in another [and I don't mean that to be sarcastic].To me it's always been plastic no matter how it's presented and I could never see what the issue was. You've explained it very well, Saturn 69. Thanks.
The interior looks good and any step toward ease of repair or replacement in a dash board is a plus. I really like this car. But no blue bubble dash trim option ????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:08 PM   #54
db55
db55 is on a distinguished road

GM rebadging opels as saturns is smart. opels have style and sophistication. The Ion will be easily forgotten. My girlfriend has an Ion and although it is a reliable car it is one of the most boring vehicles I have ever driven. So long Ion, hello Astra!
The new Pontiac G8 being shown at the Chicago show(rebadged Holden Commodore) looks good too. However, I hope it will be avialable without the in your face hood scoops.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to db55's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help db55 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
db55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:27 PM   #55
TCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation84 View Post
Is that a timing belt in that picture ??
Looks like it. Do any of the Ecotecs have chains?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TCL's Reputation
Old 02-10-2007, 06:04 PM   #56
PaulGraz
PaulGraz is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the early Ecotec 4's used in the L-series had timing chains.

I prefer a chain - but belts are quieter, cheaper, and more profitable (since we have to change them more often)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulGraz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulGraz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulGraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:19 PM   #57
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
All 2nd Gen Ecotecs have chains; the 2.2, 2.4 and 2.0. The 1.8 isn't a 2nd Gen.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-10-2007, 06:36 PM   #58
TCL

Quote:
All 2nd Gen Ecotecs have chains; the 2.2, 2.4 and 2.0. The 1.8 isn't a 2nd Gen.
Thanks. Another reason to wait for an optional engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TCL's Reputation
Old 02-13-2007, 10:44 PM   #59
lordkosc
lordkosc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No, they are the holes you insert the radio removal tool into. You don't have to tear the dash apart to upgrade the stereo, kinda like Ford does. I think the center stack looks pretty good. Better than that black and red boom-box/Pontiac throwback in the Mazda 3. The Astra interior also comes in several colors other than silver. Piano black, woodgrain, spun aluminum, brushed aluminum, carbon fiber....depends on the trim level.
I like the red/black look in my Mazda 3, but to each his own, the Astra center dash needs to get rid of the phone pad number control system, I think thats the part I really dislike. Otherwise the layout isn't bad, I personally don't like the 4 holes for radio removal... I am a stock radio kinda guy....

08 Mazda 6 ? 08 Vue Hybrid ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lordkosc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lordkosc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lordkosc is offline   Reply With Quote