SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2006, 10:58 PM   #41
Boober
Boober is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Any questions for a former Outlook (interior) designer?

Wow! O.K., this may take me a while...

cdp326,

Unfortunately, I have NO idea what is planned for the seating arrangement. I can tell you that designers ALWAYS seek to "One-Up" the competition, but sadly, engineering and purchasing (read Bean Counters) never seem to be on the same page. I really have no relevant info about it, sorry. All I know is that the interior and exterior sketches that I saw were H.O.T. HOT, but of course, many failed production cars started out with a hot sketch, so that isn't saying a whole lot.
I think they are due in 08 as an 09 model, but I am not 100% on that. I know that all of the Lambda suv's are due to be released by 09, so they might come out after that??

mellissam,
I fully understand where you are coming from, but the problem is that GM (ALL car manufacturers in fact) would rather that you NOT modify your vehicle in any way, unless of course that it is with one of their own accessories! It is a royal pain in the butt to have to seek the aftermarket because the manufacturer didn't get it right the first time. Heck my bmw has the WORST audio system I have ever heard! I have to spend $1,500 just for some better quality speakers and a sub (the OEM amp is 1ohm, so I can't use conventional speakers )

uboys,

O.k....lets see here

1. I am from PA originally, and I never quite "Fit In" in Michigan. I got Very tired of the projects that I was working on and had an opportunity to leave the business and come back home, so I did!
2. I do private Hot Rod/ Custom Car illustrations and design consulting on the side, but I don't do anything for the industry anymore.
3. Like many young guys/gals, I drew cars at an early age and always dreamed of being a car designer, after a short stint in engineering school I enrolled in CCS (college for Creative Studies)in Detroit. 4 unbelievably hard years later, I got a job in Michigan and stayed there 6 years.
4. I was in the thick of things when the axe fell (9/11) and witnessed the entire transition.
5. Well, he definitely gave design more of a voice in development (Marketing was in charge before he came in!!!) He couldn't change things overnight, but you are just now seeing some of the results of his influence at the very start of a program.
6. I have met him a few times, he is a smart cookie thatís for sure, he is not terribly "approachable" but he is not mean either.
7. I have never met Rick, but Gary Cowger (GM North American pres.) is very involved with design. He often comes with Bob to design reviews.
8. I have met with Ed on many many occasions; he is just what design has needed (most of Design Staff HATED Wayne Cherry!!). He is very down to earth and knows what he likes.
9. Never met Simcoe.
10. Most board members are far removed from development in general. They are more concerned with keeping the ship afloat these days. They leave that stuff to people like Lutz and Cowger.
11. I worked primarily in production, so most of my projects have ended up on the read. Of course I did thousands of designs for each that has made it to production. My one friend spent 5 years at GM and never worked on a production program, thus never had anything make it to production.
12. Now a days, most designers would LOVE to be able to just work a 9-5, or at the very least get paid for their extra hours (Comp time is a joke!!)
13. See response above.
14. Well, advanced engineering will come up with some pretty freaky ideas and so will it's counterpart at Design. Usually engineering advancements fuel the creative fire and the designers run with them.
12. Well, it seems that most "product development" executives have a degree in business or something like that! If you are talking about the real nitty gritty, "in the trenches" type work, it all depends on what you want to do. Engineers "engineer" and Designers "design"! There are many many MANY different jobs and specialties in research and development.
13. Product planners, marketing, advanced development, executives, purchasing, there are alot of hands in the pot when cooking up a new vehicle idea.
14. You will see relatively minor differences between the manufacturers, but for the most part all Creative Designers do the same thing. They all have to take this boring chunk of metal/wires/foam/plastic/etc.. and turn it into a product that people will want to buy. I can tell you that, though highly romanticized, being a designer in Europe is not all it's cracked up to be. Generally, salaries are about half what they are in the states.

Whew! I hope I answered your questions well enough.

Take Care, Boober

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Boober's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Boober reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Boober is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2006, 11:30 PM   #42
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boober
Wow! O.K., this may take me a while...
Sorry, I gave uboys a link to this thread over at GMI. I feel partially responsible. It won't happen again.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:13 AM   #43
uboys
uboys is on a distinguished road

Wow! Thanks a million+1 Boober!

My siblings call me "The Questionnaire", because I also so may questions. Thank you so much Uzzy for the referral!

I just wanted a peek into how a "car" comes together.
I am a HUGE fan of Bob Lutz and Ed Welburn. As far as design goes, I am also a big, big, big fan of "Art & Science"!

I heard a rumor that Lutz hates it--which breaks my heart.

What do the other designers think about Art & Science?

(Okay, after that, I'll lay off the questions for a while... Thanks so much!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to uboys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help uboys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
uboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:16 AM   #44
Boober
Boober is on a distinguished road

Hehe!...No Problem uboys!

I dont' think that Lutz "hates" the Art and Science look, maybe at first. In the beginning, it was a little crude to tell you the truth. It at least was a change from the typical look going around the building. It definately needed a little more refinement, and thats what Lutz has been pushing for. The next CTS (a car that Lutz has had a BIG hand in) will be a much more refined look than the current, but it will still be "Art and Science". I have mixed emotions about the exterior, but the interior is BEAUTIFUL!!! Cadillac interiors are REALLY coming around! I just hope that the rest of the development groups can pull their share, because the designs are really going to turn heads around the industry.

A little "gossip" about the creation of the "Art & Science" look...(well if there are any other designers lurking, i'm sorry )....

The "Art & Science" look was NOT created by a GM employee! It was created by an INTERN during the summer of 1997. He created a Cadillac SUV for his project and the brass liked it so much they turned it into a full size clay property to creat a concept vehicle for the next Detroit autoshow. After the brand character studio worked on it for a little while, they decided to change it to a two seater sports car and *Ta Da!* you have the Evoq concept car which turned into the XLR. GM would never admit that a non GM designer created the look of Cadillac's future so Kip Wasenko (the Cadillac studio manager) was the obvious choice to get the credit. (Hmmm...reminds me of another high profile GM vehicle...*cough SSR!*....Hmmm! I wonder what that vehicle was!

Oh BTW, that Intern ended up working at GM after graduation from CCS...annnndddd!...he was the lead designer for the outlook interior!!! Isn't it nice how things have a way of coming around! Unfortunately, he no longer works at GM, he has moved out to the left coast and is working for the Koreans.

Take Care, Boober

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Boober's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Boober reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Boober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:06 PM   #45
uboys
uboys is on a distinguished road

Wow. That's so great to hear. Cadillacs look so distinctive and I hope they stay that way. It's also good to see Lutz knows the critical importance of the CTS and is there every step of the way. I feel more comfortable.

These shots of the interior have been everywhere since July or so (click to enlarge):

So I am already excited about how it could turn out. I hope the relative silence on the matter is because GM is putting its head down and churning out an even better car than the first one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to uboys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help uboys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
uboys is offline   Reply With Quote