SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2006, 09:36 PM   #1
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2
Default Paint mixing

My local auto/paint store sold me LIMCO LC4000 clearcoat. My question...don't I have to mix it with a catalyst or something? The guy at the shop didn't mention anything about it.

Also, is it alright to use R-M flex agent in LIMCO basecoat (and the LIMCO clearcoat)?

Thanks in advance!
If anyone has some painting tips, I'd love to hear them! (I will be spraying both bumpers because of accumulated "damage" that my uncle encountered in the ten years he owned the car).
Thanks again!!

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2006, 09:41 PM   #2
andy_95sl2
Master Member
andy_95sl2 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Paint mixing

yes, add the flex additive to the base coat. I'm not sure about the clear coat though. Do you have a gravity feed gun with a decent compressor?

make sure the spray gun isnt spraying too much paint or too little. Test on a piece of paper or wood before spraying the bumper. Wait about a week, then wet sand the bumpers and add the clear. Then it'll shine

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon -> daily & toy =)
2009 BMW 128i -> sold
2003 VW GTI 1.8T -> wrecked
1998 Saturn SL2 -> parted out
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andy_95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andy_95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:48 PM   #3
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Ok, I did some research and found that it only needs a catalyst if it's a urethane clearcoat. This really don't help, because I cannot find any specifications (urethane vs lacquer) anywhere on the container. The only think I can find is "Refer to the Limco Technical Manual for mixing ratios and usage." Does this mean that is necessarily needs to be mixed (with a catalyst)?
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x saturn x3
Wait about a week, then wet sand the bumpers and add the clear. Then it'll shine
I've read that you should apply the clearcoat after a flash time of about an hour, before the basecoat has completely dried. Can someone please clearify this! Anyone have anything to add?

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2006, 10:12 PM   #4
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member

1995 SL2

Did some more research-apparently by catalyst-they mean hardener, which i already have, for the basecoat.
Sorry for posting before the research!
My refined questions:
How long do I need to wait between base and clear?
Is R-M (DF25) flex agent compatible with LIMCO acrylic basecoat?
How long do I wait before waxing (a month?...)
Also, my basecoat has the cheap solution "clearcoat mixed in"-it won't hurt to use a regular clearcoat over this, will it? I want a real clearcoat, because I'm sure I will get stone chips and scratches-I want something to protect my basecoat!
Thanks a lot...sorry for the confusion!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

I'm not a paint expert so I don't know about your clear coat question. One thing I would caution about would be to not do anything too different from the factory or you'll end up painting the whole car. If you get too much depth to the paint it won't look right to the rest of the car, since you're just doing the bumpers.

Good Luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:41 PM   #6
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwind999
If you get too much depth to the paint it won't look right to the rest of the car, since you're just doing the bumpers.
Good Luck
Thanks.
I know it won't match exactly, but it should look a heck of a lot better than what I have now (my uncle used it as a bumper car). The only clips for the rear bumper that were still intact were the ones in the wheel wells. Every other clip was broken. There is also a small crack on each side of the bumper (from flexing too much) but it's not too noticeable.
If it contrasts too much, I will paint the whole car (I'm kinda looking for an excuse to do that anyway). But I'd rather have slightly different color bumpers than bumpers with license plate indentations (four in the back bumper alone) which I filled with flexible spot filler/primer.
Thanks for the tip.
Anyone have any idea about the flex agent? Please!?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2006, 09:49 PM   #7
the_skin_eater
the_skin_eater is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Most clearcoats need a hardner....I bought a gallon last week and had to get a thing of hardner with it.

And I wouldnt wait to clearcoat it. Everything Ive ever painted or seen painted was cleared right after. Just dont wash the car for like 90 days, and dont go on gravel roads for a few days.

Im not crazy, just bored...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/the_skin_eater ---Chek it out.

All my time goes to the Talon...My girlfriend is jealous. But my car is jealous that I sleep with her...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_skin_eater's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_skin_eater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
the_skin_eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:06 PM   #8
KAdams4458
KAdams4458 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

Yep. The clear needs hardener.

In case BASF didn't bother telling you on the can, LIMCO LC4000 is mixed at a 5:1.

Do not sand the basecoat before laying down the clear coat, especially if you're using a metallic paint finish! If you do, you'll realise pretty quickly that you've set yourself up for respraying the base!

The time between laying the base and the clear is dependent on humidity, tempurature, and solvent ratio of both products. Clarify this matter with your supplier before taking any advice from people on the Internet.

Also, who sold you R-M flex additive to go with BASF's LIMCO clear? Don't mix brands. Sometimes it works, but it's usually a recipe for disaster. All of the the paint, from primer to clear, should all be from the same manufacturer and also should be of the same line-up.

Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Study hard. Be evil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KAdams4458's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KAdams4458 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KAdams4458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:24 PM   #9
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAdams4458
Yep. The clear needs hardener.
In case BASF didn't bother telling you on the can, LIMCO LC4000 is mixed at a 5:1.
Actually, the technical manual, that I found online says 4:1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAdams4458
Also, who sold you R-M flex additive to go with BASF's LIMCO clear? Don't mix brands. Sometimes it works, but it's usually a recipe for disaster. All of the the paint, from primer to clear, should all be from the same manufacturer and also should be of the same line-up.
Actually, it wasn't completely their fault, I bought the paint and flex agent at different times; the guy asked me which I had, but I couldn't remember (so it's my fault). I'll bring back the flex agent and trade it for some LIMCO flex agent.
Thanks for the help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2006, 03:43 AM   #10
KAdams4458
KAdams4458 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticCarsRock
Actually, the technical manual, that I found online says 4:1.
Whoops. My bad. I was working from memory. Apparently even those of us with great memory are subject to goofing on occasion. I could still swear I remember reading 5:1, but it has been a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticCarsRock
Actually, it wasn't completely their fault, I bought the paint and flex agent at different times; the guy asked me which I had, but I couldn't remember (so it's my fault). I'll bring back the flex agent and trade it for some LIMCO flex agent.
Thanks for the help!
Yes. Trade it if you can. That will help a lot.

Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Study hard. Be evil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KAdams4458's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KAdams4458 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KAdams4458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:03 PM   #11
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member

1995 SL2

Thanks a lot!
Don't worry about the memory thing-my memory is ten times worse than yours!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!