SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2006, 11:12 PM   #1
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough
 
PlasticCarsRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Brookline, MA
Posts: 4,317
 

1995 SL2
Default Steering wobble

A few months ago, I changed my snow tires for my summer tires (Uniroyal all-seasons). Immediately, I had a severe wobble/shake in the steering wheel at highway speeds (around town, it's fine).
I thought it was probably a balance/roundness issue with one tire, so I swapped the tires front to back (after the swap, the tires are across the car from their position last year-eg. the front right tire from last year is now on the front left, because when I put them on, I rotated them side to side, and front to back). I know that's << a little confusing, but you should be able to understand it if you reread it.
Since this made the vibrations slightly different (I think), but not better, I decided that it must be a severe balance issue (the tires had not been balanced).
I balanced the tires...twice. The problem is still present.
After the second balancing, the problem seemed better for a bit (a few minutes) but now, if anything, it's worse (this is just based on my reactions, which may not be completely accurate).
So...what could be my problem?
Oh yeah-it's not warped brake rotors, because I just replaced the rotors (and pads)-the second time the tires were balanced.
The only other thing I can thing is that the tires aren't round. However, this seems very unlikely considering that they were fine last year (before winter), and swapping the tires front to back didn't solve the problem. I don't think it's very likely that the tires (more than one) got out of round just sitting (in a cool place) through the winter.
Sorry for the novel there
Thanks in advance for any help/tips!
...
High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2006, 11:17 PM   #2
redkees@msn.com
Senior Member
redkees@msn.com is on a distinguished road
 
redkees@msn.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Oxford, Ct
Posts: 1,068
 

2004 VUE 2.2L
2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Steering wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticCarsRock
A few months ago, I changed my snow tires for my summer tires (Uniroyal all-seasons). Immediately, I had a severe wobble/shake in the steering wheel at highway speeds (around town, it's fine).
I thought it was probably a balance/roundness issue with one tire, so I swapped the tires front to back (after the swap, the tires are across the car from their position last year-eg. the front right tire from last year is now on the front left, because when I put them on, I rotated them side to side, and front to back). I know that's << a little confusing, but you should be able to understand it if you reread it.
Since this made the vibrations slightly different (I think), but not better, I decided that it must be a severe balance issue (the tires had not been balanced).
I balanced the tires...twice. The problem is still present.
After the second balancing, the problem seemed better for a bit (a few minutes) but now, if anything, it's worse (this is just based on my reactions, which may not be completely accurate).
So...what could be my problem?
Oh yeah-it's not warped brake rotors, because I just replaced the rotors (and pads)-the second time the tires were balanced.
The only other thing I can thing is that the tires aren't round. However, this seems very unlikely considering that they were fine last year (before winter), and swapping the tires front to back didn't solve the problem. I don't think it's very likely that the tires (more than one) got out of round just sitting (in a cool place) through the winter.
Sorry for the novel there
Thanks in advance for any help/tips!
Maybe you need a front end alignment??
redkees@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:34 PM   #3
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough
 
PlasticCarsRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Brookline, MA
Posts: 4,317
 

1995 SL2
Default Re: Steering wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkees@msn.com
Maybe you need a front end alignment??
Thanks, but I got a 4-wheel alignment the end of last year (a month-ish before I put on the snow tires). I drive my car conservatively, and I don't think I've hit a single pot hole since then...I don't think there is any way my car is out of alignment yet.
Also-the car was fine with the snow tires (which actually seemed to ride better than the Uniroyals, and they were quieter)-the problem started suddenly when I changed the tires.
...
High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:47 PM   #4
madpogue
Super Member
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Posts: 25,715
 

1996 SW2
Default Re: Steering wobble

Bent wheel?
Bad tire?

Try putting one pair of your snows on the front, and a pair of the summers on the rear. Try the other pair of summers on the rear. By using the snows on the front as place-holders, you might be able to narrow down just which tire/wheel is bad, among the summers.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:59 PM   #5
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough
 
PlasticCarsRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Brookline, MA
Posts: 4,317
 

1995 SL2
Default Re: Steering wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
Bent wheel?
Bad tire?

Try putting one pair of your snows on the front, and a pair of the summers on the rear. Try the other pair of summers on the rear. By using the snows on the front as place-holders, you might be able to narrow down just which tire/wheel is bad, among the summers.
Thanks!
Since I only have one set of wheels-that is somewhat unpractical... but it's better than nothing.
If I can't think of anything else, soon, I'll try that.
...
High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:18 AM   #6
madpogue
Super Member
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Posts: 25,715
 

1996 SW2
Default Re: Steering wobble

Ah, so you've been getting them remounted each time....

The more reputable shops will, when mounting a tire to a rim, find any slight out-of round in the tire, and match it to a "complementary" out-of-round in the rim. If your summers weren't mounted in this way, that may be the culprit.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:41 AM   #7
fetchitfido
Super Member
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future
 
fetchitfido's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 14,493
 

2001 SC2
Default Re: Steering wobble

I've decided that when I get a new (used, but new to me) car the first thing I do is get a 2nd set of rims so I can get a deal on snows/summers, get 'em mounted+balanced, and put them on when I feel like it. Had to pay like $10 for the 2nd set for my previous car, this time I managed to get a parts car with decent rims/tires.
...
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:05 AM   #8
yougotit
Member
yougotit is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Victoria, British Columbia
Posts: 158

1996 SL1
Default Re: Steering wobble

It might even be a broken belt inside the tire. I have heard of this happening but never experienced it. good luck
yougotit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:38 AM   #9
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough
 
PlasticCarsRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Brookline, MA
Posts: 4,317
 

1995 SL2
Default Re: Steering wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
Ah, so you've been getting them remounted each time....

The more reputable shops will, when mounting a tire to a rim, find any slight out-of round in the tire, and match it to a "complementary" out-of-round in the rim. If your summers weren't mounted in this way, that may be the culprit.
My dad does the mounting for me, and he does not have the equipment necessary to do that. He has an ancient air-powered machine to mount them, and a bubble balancer... nothing more.
I just got the car last summer, and the snow tires this winter, so the summer tires were on it when I got it (it had never had snow tires before). I think the tires may be the original tires that came with the car (with the exception of one, which was replaced (it's a comparable tire).
When the rims and tires were new-I doubt there were any roundness issues, and I don't think they have been remounted since then (until I remounted them this spring).
Is there any way to check for an out-of-round tire?
...
High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:54 AM   #10
RangerRover
Senior Member
RangerRover is on a distinguished road
 
RangerRover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Creedmoor, NC
Posts: 1,648
 

1999 SW2
1994 SL2
Default Re: Steering wobble

How were the tires stored? Stacked up or on the tread? If it was on the tread they may need to work out a flatspot, but its not likely.
...
You can tell Linux is made by geeks.
RangerRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #11
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough
 
PlasticCarsRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Brookline, MA
Posts: 4,317
 

1995 SL2
Default Re: Steering wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerRover
How were the tires stored? Stacked up or on the tread? If it was on the tread they may need to work out a flatspot, but its not likely.
They were stored on the tread, but on a soft surface, and they've had plenty of time to work out a flat spot.
...
High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:34 PM   #12
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough
 
PlasticCarsRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Brookline, MA
Posts: 4,317
 

1995 SL2
Default Re: Steering wobble

Any other ideas?
...
High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2000 LW2 Steering 'wobble' tpk L-Series Tech 5 07-09-2008 03:37 PM
Wobble in steering wheel Ctracinfan S-Series Tech 11 08-17-2006 07:25 PM
Wobble sound floyd S-Series General 10 03-13-2006 11:37 PM
Solved the steering wheel/front end wobble/shake. Chris0381 S-Series General 0 06-10-2005 05:38 PM
Slight wobble in SL erick295 S-Series Tech 2 10-16-2001 10:33 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:32 PM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.