SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2006, 09:31 AM   #1
05vueblue
05vueblue is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Default AWD/4WD Tow/price questions...

Thinking of the Outlook, I want something bigger and I want to replace my current VUE (worried getting first model year tho). Anyway I would buy the AWD version if it is different than the VUE. Does anyone know will it be true AWD or the fake AWD like the VUE has. Also how much will the outlook tow? Anyone also know what it will run fully loaded?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 05vueblue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 05vueblue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
05vueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2006, 09:41 AM   #2
agoldslsaturn
agoldslsaturn is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
1995 SL2
Default Re: AWD/4WD Tow/price questions...

Fully loaded someone quoted as $32k.

I havent seen any figures from Saturn themselves though so that is an uneducated guess that hopefully its right.

I cant answer the other things, I dont know enough about cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to agoldslsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help agoldslsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
agoldslsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:03 AM   #3
BuckeyeVUE
BuckeyeVUE is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2002 VUE 2.2L

AWD is always the same. You may be thinking of 4WD, where all 4 wheels are driving all the time?? That's a huge waste on gas, and not made much anymore. As for 1st year models, I bought a 1st year VUE and have had no problems. I also have a deposit on a 1st year SKY. If you do have a problem, thats what the 36000/3year warranty is for. They fix it. I think its worth it to have a new model AND they test these things like crazy before they hit market.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BuckeyeVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BuckeyeVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BuckeyeVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
05vueblue

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeVUE
AWD is always the same. You may be thinking of 4WD, where all 4 wheels are driving all the time?? That's a huge waste on gas, and not made much anymore. As for 1st year models, I bought a 1st year VUE and have had no problems. I also have a deposit on a 1st year SKY. If you do have a problem, thats what the 36000/3year warranty is for. They fix it. I think its worth it to have a new model AND they test these things like crazy before they hit market.

Sorry you are making a huge mistake, not all AWDs are the same. VUEs is fake and is an aweful sytem...I have it. I am hoping it resembles AWD in Subarus. The VUEs cannot do the "from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 05vueblue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2006, 06:17 AM   #5
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05vueblue
Sorry you are making a huge mistake, not all AWDs are the same. VUEs is fake and is an aweful sytem...I have it. I am hoping it resembles AWD in Subarus. The VUEs cannot do the "from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip"
I would bet on it being some variation of the VersaTrak system as that is GM's AWD solution.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:51 PM   #6
GB1
GB1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I read where the VUE's AWD is one of the worst available because the front wheels noticable slip before the rear wheels get power. A good system's front wheels slip would not really be noticable to the driver... Saturn apparently did this to make the system work with the donut spare on the VUE -- Sad.

Hopefully, Saturn will not make the same mistake twice. Just dump the donut and go with a full-sized spare, I say. Place it under the rear like a lot of SUVs do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GB1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GB1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:55 AM   #7
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1
I read where the VUE's AWD is one of the worst available because the front wheels noticable slip before the rear wheels get power.
This is really how any on-demand AWD setup works. The rear wheels engage only when they are needed. It is pointless and inefficient to have all four wheels driving when on dry pavement 90% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1
A good system's front wheels slip would not really be noticable to the driver... Saturn apparently did this to make the system work with the donut spare on the VUE -- Sad.
True, the wheel slip shouldn't be noticeable, but that's how the VersaTrak system works. The front wheels need to spin faster than the rear for the gerotor pumps to work. It's actually an ingenious solution because it's compact and all mechanical, so it's cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1
Hopefully, Saturn will not make the same mistake twice. Just dump the donut and go with a full-sized spare, I say. Place it under the rear like a lot of SUVs do.
What AWD solution would you say they use then? And there's only so much room under the VUE, no small SUVs (or at least none that I know of) put it under the vehicle. The RAV4 and CR-V have it on the rear hatch, which is a horrible eyesore.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:50 PM   #8
GB1
GB1 is on a distinguished road

K1 - I haven't studied the technical aspects of the systems close enough to say, other than what I've read in the reviews. I was not confusing AWD with 4WD, as they are two different systems. The two reports that I read said that the front wheels slip for too long before the rears kick in (of course, "too long" is subjective). I can't recall exactly what the text said, but I believe that the same reviewer loved the Ford Five-Hundred's and the Ford Freestyle's AWD system, saying that the transfer was very smooth and almost instantaneous.

Anyways, it appears that 4WD still tops AWD for pure traction. Almost all the off-roaders have 4WD systems vs. AWD. Yes, it is sure to use more fuel (unless it is PT, and you only engage it when you need it). They also wear out tires faster.

-GB

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GB1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GB1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:06 PM   #9
05vueblue

2000 SL1

Guess what I want it it to be less noticiable and not "slam" the rear wheels in. On semi wet pavement my fronts will really spin and WHAM the rears kick in. I dont like it is all....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-15-2006, 08:56 PM   #10
scotted73
Advanced Member
scotted73 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
I wouldn't classify it as being "fake." I would classify it as a base model system. It may not be as comlex as other systems, because it is a mechanical on demand system. The idea is that the driver does need not engage it for it to work, therefore deeming it AWD. Other systems such as the SH-AWD on the Acura are computer controlled and vary the power between the front and rear wheels and also side-to-side. This results in a more complex and costlier system.
In the 3.0 pre-Honda motor VUE, the AWD system works really well. The Versatrak system may not be suited to work with the manner in which power is delivered with the Honda motor, which results in the "WHAM" sensation you are experiencing.

According to the Saturn site, the Outlook is rated to tow 4,500 lbs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotted73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotted73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scotted73 is offline   Reply With Quote