SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2006, 11:04 AM   #21
red96
red96 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Spring Hill closing? Feb. 2006 Motor Trend

Quote:
Originally Posted by frereagle
i dont know about the ION being phased out but the latest information i have from my grandfather that works at GM is that the ION is moving to GM Lordstown, down here in Ohio. That isnt final yet but that is the word.
The Ion is on the same platform as the Cobolt that is now made at Loadstown, so that would be a logical move.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help red96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
red96 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2006, 05:50 PM   #22
sclindon
sclindon is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by red96
Lets just say I'm Much CLOSER to the situation than ANY of you are.

And as I said the future is very bright in Spring Hill.
What, you live in Spring Hill or something? I wonder how much you know when you don't even know what the SCAC is.

Former Saturns:
2006 Ion 3 2.4L, 5 speed
2004 Ion 2, 5 speed; 2004 Vue, 5 speed
2002 SL1, 5 speed; 1993 SC1, 5 speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sclindon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sclindon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sclindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:20 PM   #23
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Itís true, some employees at SH should be worried about their future, those for the most part are the area hires that have less than 15 years seniority.
GM or Saturn senority? Saturn mostly goes by Saturn senority for jobs witihin the plant. If that's the case it will be affecting a good number of people, probably 45% at least.

Quote:
Now as a plant SH has many advantages over most other GM plants. One being itís size and flexibility; it has a power train and stamping plant on site as well as a foundry, and a SSPO plant. The plant has a good tax structure and very few environmental problems. These are all great benefits SH has that most GM plants donít.
Oh wow, and how many people out of Saturns 6,000 people of so work in powertrain and in the SSPO? Good tax structure? Did you happen to read the Daily Herald the other day? Look what Mike Bennet had to say, I don't care for the guy much at all but he does have a good point on some issues.
http://www.columbiadailyherald.com/a.../01bennett.txt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:53 PM   #24
seamus1066
seamus1066 is on a distinguished road

Folks...as Red has said...

Don't worry about us down here in Spring Hill. Yes the Ion line will be shutting down. But when it does the contractors will come streaming into the plant and start the rebuilding process in that area.

We do have a future in Spring Hill...and most all employees will have that future. As there are many that will be able to retire about the time we do the complete shutdown to finish the retooling of the plant.

It may be tight on the financial front for a little bit for us down here, but at least we do have a future. Which is better than the rest of the plants that were in that announcement.

Oh, and red..don't worry about letting folks know that you work there, or a family member works in the plant. As long as you don't let out sensitive information, everything is ok. I've been posting here for a while and have never gotten any questions from folks in the plant. It's ok for those of us that work there to participate here....and at times we can put to rest rumors that come up thanks to the press.

Especially this rumor...Spring Hill will survive, what we will be building on the other hand only Detroit knows for now....my hope is for a totally new product.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to seamus1066's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help seamus1066 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
seamus1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:27 PM   #25
red96

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclindon
you don't even know what the SCAC is.

I'm just never heard of SCAC. That's all

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help red96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2006, 07:33 PM   #26
red96

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-seriesguy
GM or Saturn senority? Saturn mostly goes by Saturn senority for jobs witihin the plant. If that's the case it will be affecting a good number of people, probably 45% at least.

Oh wow, and how many people out of Saturns 6,000 people of so work in powertrain and in the SSPO? Good tax structure? Did you happen to read the Daily Herald the other day? Look what Mike Bennet had to say, I don't care for the guy much at all but he does have a good point on some issues.
http://www.columbiadailyherald.com/a.../01bennett.txt
Ya, Maury County had had those issues for awhile now, but if it wasn't for GM Spring Hill would still be a cow pasture.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2006, 07:34 PM   #27
seamus1066

Quote:
I'm just never heard of SCAC. That's all
With all the accronyms down here that doesn't suprise me. We have two to three pages of accronyms that are used in Spring Hill. I have no idea on what a lot of them are.

Most of the time when the SCAC is mentioned in The Newsline (inplant newsletter) they are refered to just as Customer Assistance...that's it..Not the Saturn Customer Assistance Center...so most in the plant don't know what they are called outside the plant. If it wouldn't have been for this board...I would not have known myself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help seamus1066 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2006, 08:26 PM   #28
red96

I just never heard it called that before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2006, 10:56 PM   #29
delivery man
Advanced Member
delivery man is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I have no idea what they will build after the last ION rolls off the line, and the girl at the SCAC probably was just repeating a rumor. I just want to thank everyone building the ION's for a job well done. In a few more months I will have a quarter of a million miles on mine and it is still going strong.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to delivery man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help delivery man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
delivery man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:25 PM   #30
red96

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclindon
What, you live in Spring Hill or something? .
My ZIP CODE is 37174

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2006, 11:51 AM   #31
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Yes, with all that said SH does have a bright future, will it again be building Saturns???? Only if a Saturn product is part of the platform SH builds, Will it have plastic panels, NO.
Will it support all the employees receiving a pay check from their today, NO . But will it continue to be building a GM product and employing thousands of people, Yes.
With that the future is bright.
Sounds like you have tweaked the gamma settings on your rose-colored glasses. It's all relative.

"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:39 PM   #32
red96

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork
Sounds like you have tweaked the gamma settings on your rose-colored glasses. It's all relative.

Rose-colored??? No way.

Many there will be hurt and have their live changed by what will happen there in the next year, but long contrary to some of the experts here the plant will remain open and produce vehicles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2006, 12:46 PM   #33
seamus1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork

Not really...the plant will still be running. We will continue to build GM products. It is just that instead of the nearly 10,000 we employed in 1993. We will only have about 4500 workers here (mangement included) by 2008.

At least we will still have jobs and a future. Better than several other GM plants.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2006, 01:14 PM   #34
sclindon
sclindon is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
My ZIP CODE is 37174
That's good to know. Mine is 48186 even though it used to be 37405.

My dad has an old friend who went to Saturn back when it first started up. My dad considered it at the time, but had 3 kids in high school or younger and we basically vetoed him.

Former Saturns:
2006 Ion 3 2.4L, 5 speed
2004 Ion 2, 5 speed; 2004 Vue, 5 speed
2002 SL1, 5 speed; 1993 SC1, 5 speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sclindon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sclindon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sclindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:57 AM   #35
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus1066
Folks...as Red has said...

Don't worry about us down here in Spring Hill. Yes the Ion line will be shutting down. But when it does the contractors will come streaming into the plant and start the rebuilding process in that area.

We do have a future in Spring Hill...and most all employees will have that future. As there are many that will be able to retire about the time we do the complete shutdown to finish the retooling of the plant.

It may be tight on the financial front for a little bit for us down here, but at least we do have a future. Which is better than the rest of the plants that were in that announcement.

Oh, and red..don't worry about letting folks know that you work there, or a family member works in the plant. As long as you don't let out sensitive information, everything is ok. I've been posting here for a while and have never gotten any questions from folks in the plant. It's ok for those of us that work there to participate here....and at times we can put to rest rumors that come up thanks to the press.

Especially this rumor...Spring Hill will survive, what we will be building on the other hand only Detroit knows for now....my hope is for a totally new product.
Thank you once again, Seamus, for giving us a view from the factory floor.
While driving into work the other day I realized what a bloody trip it was to be able to communicate with someone who worked on BOTH my cars.And a part of automotive history similar to that of the pioneer days of the industry. THAT's something to be proud of.
And Motor Trend stopped being relevant or a reliable source of information the minute Autoweek magazine exposed them for giving their Car Of The Year award to the company who offered to buy the most pages of advertising and offered the most perks to the editors. The slide downhill started before that but things didn't improve any when Automobile Magazine's publishers [Primemedia I think] took it over. So pay Motor Trend no mind. They're a joke, and I was a reader and subscriber for many many years. Not any longer. They really are just a slight cut above MPH [the only car magazine I have actually thrown in the garbage rather than keeping it for future reference]. Rags, both.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:09 AM   #36
red96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation84
Thank you once again, Seamus, for giving us a view from the factory floor.
While driving into work the other day I realized what a bloody trip it was to be able to communicate with someone who worked on BOTH my cars.And a part of automotive history similar to that of the pioneer days of the industry. THAT's something to be proud of.
And Motor Trend stopped being relevant or a reliable source of information the minute Autoweek magazine exposed them for giving their Car Of The Year award to the company who offered to buy the most pages of advertising and offered the most perks to the editors. The slide downhill started before that but things didn't improve any when Automobile Magazine's publishers [Primemedia I think] took it over. So pay Motor Trend no mind. They're a joke, and I was a reader and subscriber for many many years. Not any longer. They really are just a slight cut above MPH [the only car magazine I have actually thrown in the garbage rather than keeping it for future reference]. Rags, both.
You make some great points, right on the money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-02-2006, 11:31 AM   #37
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I went through a continuous blood letting when I was at MCI/Worldcom. My department went from 100, down to 3 when I was finally laid off. While all that was going on the morale went down along with it. The guys left behind always wonder if they are going to be zapped in the next round of layoffs.

Yes, it's nice that they still have a job, but IMHO, the people still employed will be on edge and probably not happy.

"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spork is offline   Reply With Quote