SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2005, 11:38 AM   #21
fatabbot
Advanced Member
fatabbot is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2007 Saturn Outlook

Also, for the record:

I've owned my Vue for a little over a month now, and I love it. I love Saturn, their service and the community (like this forum). I will strongly consider another Saturn whenever I, or my wife, need another car.

So don't think I'm a Saturn basher. I just think they need to focus on actually being more successful in the markets they currently do well in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fatabbot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fatabbot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fatabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2005, 11:38 AM   #22
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatabbot
Sorry, the current market of Saturn owners is not large enough to justify pumping out larger vehicles through the Saturn nameplate.

This trickle-up theory isn't really efficient.
Didn't say it was large enough...but it is a factor.

Quote:
I do agree about the customer service though.

In the end, we'll have to agree to disagree. I just see no way that this SUV is going to sell well. History and logic just aren't on its side....
The crossover segment of this style doesn't have a lot of history.

Quote:
In the end, we'll have to agree to disagree.
Yep.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:40 AM   #23
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Also, for the record:

I've owned my Vue for a little over a month now, and I love it. I love Saturn, their service and the community (like this forum). I will strongly consider another Saturn whenever I, or my wife, need another car.

So don't think I'm a Saturn basher. I just think they need to focus on actually being more successful in the markets they currently do well in.
Didn't think you were. I probably look like a foreign car basher myself on here, though I'm not really.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:47 AM   #24
fatabbot
Advanced Member
fatabbot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326
Didn't think you were. I probably look like a foreign car basher myself on here, though I'm not really.
No biggie. I just come off like a jerk sometimes

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fatabbot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fatabbot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fatabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:40 PM   #25
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
For the same reason the Relay doesn't sell well. Saturn only survives because of a certain image, and larger, 7 passenger vehicles don't really fit in.

Saturn's strengths to me are small, efficient and practical cars.
The Relay's problem is that there are 353 different minivans in the market, and four of them happen to be identical. Not to mention the fact that Saturn doesn't have anywhere near the number of retailers are other brands. On top of that, the Relay really isn't exceptional. It isn't bad, just doesn't have anything to set it apart from the competition.

The SUV market is still huge, even after the surge in gas prices. Also, people are going to want more efficient vehicles than their Sequoias and Suburbans. The Outlook will probably be very efficient for a 7-passenger vehicle.

The trick for Saturn is overcoming their image. I don't think people will redily reject larger cars from Saturn. The problem is convincing people that Saturn will have desirable products. The Sky has been very well received, and a convertible roadster is certainly not part of Saturn's traditional image.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:00 PM   #26
SLAPSHOT
Advanced Member
SLAPSHOT is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb
Why??
For that answer, I reference you back to fatabbot's posts, he makes excellent points. Also, someone else mentioned Saturn's image, that's a big part of the equation as well. I can't count the number of times someone asked me what I drive, and when I reply "Saturn", I get the ole, "Oh, a Saturn", in that condescending tone. For whatever reason, people don't want to mess with the Saturns there are now, much less a bigger SUV from Saturn. Saturn needs to improve it's image, don't ask me why or how, but Saturn needs to "come up" so-to-speak. For the record, I love my Saturns and am also not a Saturn basher.

//SLAPSHOT//
05 VUE 2.2L 5 Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLAPSHOT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLAPSHOT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLAPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 05:41 PM   #27
DP49657
DP49657 is on a distinguished road

Dazed Re: 2007 Saturn Outlook

If the Relay, sky, and Outlook were plastic bodys, that would set them apart from the rest. I wish gm would keep Saturn their polymer brand. IMHO that is what makes a Saturn different from all the rest.!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DP49657's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DP49657 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DP49657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:21 PM   #28
GirlWithAVue
GirlWithAVue is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Looks like an oversized version of the VUE to me.

2006 FWD V6 VUE Black/Grey/Chrome

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GirlWithAVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GirlWithAVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GirlWithAVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:05 PM   #29
Caprice
Advanced Member
Caprice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante
Not the answer to what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb
So because it has swinging doors instead of sliding doors, you call it an SUV and hate it?
What I think I'm trying to get at is I feel that the last thing GM needs is more large vehicles. There are plenty of big vehicles (SUVs, vans, minivans, whatever) and I think they need to start phasing at least some of them out (too many almost identical models from different nameplates). There are not enough smaller/cheaper vehicles for people who can't afford a new car and that is part of where I think they are losing sales. The Cobalt is just too expencive, The ION is unatractive to people who feel there is a stygma about Saturn, and the Aveo is just too horribly styled -- and everything else is just overkill for the regular person's needs. Thats why I'd buy used rather than new any day, and I doubt the used car sales do much to prop up GM overall.

I'm not saying anything against Saturn, I'm making a comment about what I think the market needs. If they are going to survive, they're going to have to make some smaller/cheaper vehicles that people with less money (but still wanting a new car) can afford to buy and own long term. Thats where Hyundia is winning big time, and where the Domestics are dieing.

Of course, that is all just my opnion. I'm not an economist nor do I wish to be... but it makes sence to me so I'll say it how I see it.

Sorry I P'd you two off.

~ Simplicity is Beauty.
"Who needs electronic locks and windows, power steering, or automatic sliding
doors if you can trade it all for a little excersise and some spare change?"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Caprice's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Caprice reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Caprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:03 AM   #30
scotydoc
scotydoc is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2009 Astra XE
Thumbs Down Re: 2007 Saturn Outlook

The Saturn Outlokk would be limited in size due to the fact the paint shop in springhill has many tight turns. The body shop and assembly is ok aswell. That is a major problem with springhill plant. Paint is athe bottle neck for many future models. The site would have to shutdown for some time to retool. As of friday 1500 people are due to br layed off with little chance of recall or relocation

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotydoc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotydoc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scotydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:51 AM   #31
PlumSL1
PlumSL1 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1997 SC2

Saturn is trying to change its original image. Sure a 7 seater SUV doesn't fit in, neither does the relay or sky but this is exactly the point. They are trying to get away from the idea that they only sell small cars. I think the whole idea behind this is to expand the market for Saturn not to only to keep existing owners coming back. Will this work? I sure hope so but if it doesn't, I wont be shocked either. I'm not saying its the perfect time for Saturn to launch a big SUV. Sure an even smaller more fuel efficient car would be awesome with the way gas prices are going. But we can't predict how sales will go, only time will be able to tell...

NicK
--------------
08 Mazda3
00 Tiburon SE - Sold
96 SL2 - Sold
97 SC2 - Sold
94 SL1 - Driven till death R.I.P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlumSL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlumSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlumSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote