SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2005, 10:41 PM   #1
THX712517
Master Member
THX712517 is on a distinguished road

Default Bore/stroke question

Alright, I've got the 2.2 Ecotec, I'm envious of displacement, I was thinking I would get the pistons, connecting rods, and crankshaft from a 2.4, bore the 2.2 out, and swap the parts. Only problem is, that's gonna be wicked expensive. When I ran the parts numbers, we're talking well into the four digit range. So my new question, is it worth it to bore the engine from 86 to 88 millimeters? It's a bump in displacement from 2.2 to 2.3, to be sure, and less expensive...

Before you even say anything, I don't want to hear about supercharging, turbocharging, or nitrous oxide. I am asking this question ONLY about being able to justify an increase in bore from 86mm to 88mm, increasing displacement from 2.2 to 2.3 liters.

2003 Saturn Ion
2001 Mazda Miata
1997 Saturn SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to THX712517's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help THX712517 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2005, 11:12 PM   #2
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Bore/stroke question

have you got that ecotec performance book? I haven't seen it, but if all I hear is true, it will tell you ALL you need to know about your mill. and maybe posting on an ecotec forum will get you better answers. you've been here long enough to know that most people here are just into the LLO.
from previous experience w/ other engines, I don't think that your slight bore increase will do much. you're still looking at a big expense (new pistons) and all that work.you'd have to stroke it and raise the comp as well, and now you have computer/emissions issues.

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2005, 12:05 AM   #3
Tycho
Tycho is on a distinguished road

In general, usually stroking has greater benefits than boring given the same increase in displacement. It does make your rod ratio worse however.

Disadvantages of boring include: weaker sleeves, less gasket mating area, increased probability of knock (longer distance for the flame front to travel).

Disadvantages of stroking include: less favorable rod ratio, higher piston acceleration.

If you really want to look into the plusses and minuses of each I'd suggest looking at the work Intrinsic Performance Solutions has done with the Honda K series:
http://www.intrinsicperformance.com/
http://www.k20a.org/

Engines don't know "what" they are (be it Ecotec, 1.9, or K series) so restricting yourself to the "expert" opinions on ecotec would probably be short sighted. IPS has built K motors from 2.0 L all the way up to 2.65 (with variants in the 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, and 2.6 L range) with similar heads and manifolding. They've posted a number of dynos and comments on reliability and longevity as well (I think they've gotten near every combination over 300 HP...obviously with very different characteristic torque curves). I'm sure much of it would translate over to your application.

Forced induction is rape.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tycho's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tycho reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2005, 12:19 AM   #4
THX712517
Master Member
THX712517 is on a distinguished road

Cool, thanks for the info.

2003 Saturn Ion
2001 Mazda Miata
1997 Saturn SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to THX712517's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help THX712517 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!