SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2005, 12:05 PM   #1
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

Default power steering fluid on alternator

I took the alt. shield off while taking off the powe steering pump. After disconnecting a p/s line from the pump, a few ounces of steering fluid got on the bare alt before I could get a rag. I also got some fluid in the plastic connector that goes to the alt and holds two very small gauge wires (not the larger single orange wire). What does this connector do, and will the steering fluid harm the contacts inside?

Is any of this a problem, or should I replace the alt. and connector before proceeding? This is on a '94 SL2 b/t/w.

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2005, 12:30 PM   #2
ud503j
ud503j is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
2002 SL2
Default Re: power steering fluid on alternator

I can't imagine it would be an issue...as far as I'm aware power steering fluid is neither conductive nor corrosive (at least not terribly so.) I've thrashed an alternator pretty good on my Blazer....had mud in it and everything with no ill effects.

1997 SW2 --> 'Vi'
g/f's 2002 SL2 --> 'Raven'

R4V3n SP33D's boytoy!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ud503j's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ud503j reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ud503j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:33 PM   #3
dixonba
dixonba is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I've drenched my alt with ps fluid before. Hasn't hurt it yet.

I have heard of incidents of alternator failure due to ps fluid constantly dripping on it though...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dixonba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dixonba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dixonba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 02:25 PM   #4
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

How did you end up getting the lines off the pump? I made an attempt to replace mine but couldn't budge the fittings on the steering rack and couldn't figure out how to access the fittings at the pump.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:23 PM   #5
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

wipe it off, inspect it, maybe spray it with electrical cleaner. unless that alternator is more then 3 years old, thats about the life of many S-series alternator. many S-series alternators do fail from engine oil leaks, but the key there is that the oil is normally hot dripping with the engine running. the two wires i beleave go to the dash for the charge light and the other is for the field coil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeagle1
How did you end up getting the lines off the pump? I made an attempt to replace mine but couldn't budge the fittings on the steering rack and couldn't figure out how to access the fittings at the pump.
i whent THRU the pulley

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:45 PM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Long term oil soaking into the alt will shorten it's life. A dump of oil into it---clean it out with something like brake clean or as mentioned contact cleaner let it dry and then you should be ok.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:12 PM   #7
geartooth94
Master Member

I also have to get just that ONE line off the pump: the one with the nut on the steel line. Just HOW did you go through the pulley to access the nut?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2005, 07:37 PM   #8
kmix99
kmix99 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by geartooth94
I also have to get just that ONE line off the pump: the one with the nut on the steel line. Just HOW did you go through the pulley to access the nut?
remove the pulley with a pulley-puller with the line still attached, then you'll have good access to the nut. The nut on my 1997 SL2 steel PS line was not metric, it was SAE for some odd reason. Use a flare nut type wrench to prevent stripping.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kmix99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kmix99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kmix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:32 PM   #9
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by geartooth94
whats really amazing is not that i whent thru the pulley, but i even did it with the beefyer flare wrench(it was about 1/8 taller then my standard box wrench). it also helps i have the hood, wiring harness, belt, and a million other things already removed. it would not go straght on thru the slot in the pulley. i instead got the wrench head in with the pulley at a different angle, then turned the pulley till it lined up with the nut. the pump was also unbolted from the engine at the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:29 AM   #10
geartooth94
Master Member

well i found an old crescent wrench from my grandfather's garage that looks like it will fit on the steering gear lines. Also bought a 16/18mm flare nut wrench so we'll se how it goes when I try to remove the lines. PB Blaster is my friend!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!