SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 09:17 AM   #1
JoeMama
JoeMama is on a distinguished road

Dizzy "Readiness Monitors Not Set" HELP!!!

Has anyone had a problem passing emissions because the PCM reports that the "READINESS MONITORS NOT SET" ?

I have a 97 SL1 w/156k +

The car runs great! However I have spent close to a grand trying to get the "readiness monitors" to set.

1st time I failed emissions the check engine light was on and they FAILED me right away. No problem. Had the codes checked and my O2 sensor and camshaft sensor were failing. No problem. Bought the sensors, replaced the old with the new and the check engine light was still on. Diconnected the battery for about 10 mins, reconnected and the light has been off ever since. Had the PCM checked for codes and no codes were reporting.

Went back to the emissions a 2nd time and they REJECTED me right away. They plugged into the PCM for about 10 secs to tell me the "READINESS MONITORS NOT SET". ok

Took the car to the dealer, they saw no codes but replaced the ignition module, pcv, plugs & wires. They said I 'passing with flying colors'
"REJECTED" AGAIN AT THE EMISSIONS OFFICE.

Back to the dealer, they scratched their heads and suggested the EGR Valve. I replaced the EGR, drove about a 1000 miles to allow the drive cycles to reset, took it back to the dealer, no dice! Same problem "readiness monitors not set"
Now the dealer's last suggestion is to replace the PCM!

I greatly appreciate anyone's imput/advise.

Sincerely,
Joe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JoeMama's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JoeMama reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2004, 09:33 AM   #2
wrg813
wrg813 is on a distinguished road

An emissions waiver should be in order once you have spent a certain amount of money to attempt to correct the concern. Which system is showing not ready/not ran. Did they tell you?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wrg813's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wrg813 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2004, 09:57 AM   #3
JoeMama
JoeMama is on a distinguished road

They didn't tell me.

As far as the waiver goes I will talk to the emissions supervisor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JoeMama's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JoeMama reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2004, 08:15 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

If your Saturn service department is not finding anything wrong, as in any codes in the system and their Tech 2 scan tool will talk to the cars PCM then I think that the problem is on the emmission testing companies end of things. I have never seen any kind of message like that from a Saturn. The Pcm will either communicate or it will not. No such thing as "readiness monitors" in the Saturn PCM's that I know of. Maybe some thing different programmed into the US cars but I doubt it.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2004, 08:23 PM   #5
auxmike
auxmike is on a distinguished road

Interesting,I hooked up my Actron CP9135 to either my '97 Satty or my brothers Hyundai Elantra and I think it said that too.
Was'nt sure what it meant,but I don't think it ever went into "ready".Perhaps this guy has a generic scanner and "ready monitors" is for a certain car line other than saturn?
I'll go check my car again...
UPDATE:all my monitors appear to be "on line" and ready!

Last edited by auxmike; 05-28-2004 at 08:30 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to auxmike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help auxmike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2004, 06:39 AM   #6
wrg813
wrg813 is on a distinguished road

I agree with ssicarman that the problem may be on the testing side. What the OBD2 emissions test is looking for is I/M ready status(Inspection/Maintenance) in the ECM. This indicates that the on-board emissions diagnostics have been run. It will not display pass or fail, only that it was completed. These tests are not ran continuously. They are ran once per drive cycle. One of the diagnostics tests the catalyst and may need several drive cycles to complete depending on the efficiency of the catalytic convertor. Hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wrg813's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wrg813 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2004, 11:52 AM   #7
martx-5
martx-5 is on a distinguished road

Alot of states are starting to use code readers to test for emmsions. If there is a CEL (MIL) on, of course you fail. If you have pending codes, you won't fail. But, if the readiness monitor is flashing, that indicates that any codes that were there were recently erased, and enough drive cycles haven't been completed to indicate readiness.

I have an Equus 3100 code reader, and it has the monitors on it. Last week, I had a P0341 code, fixed the problem, and erased the code. Monitor initially flashed. Today I hooked up the code reader, and the monitor is no longer flashing.

According to the Equus manual, "To set all monitors to a DONE status, an OBD II drive cycle must be performed. Consult your vehicle's service manual for information on how to perform an OBD II drive cycle for the vehicle under test."

That tells me that there isn't a set cycle for all cars, or whether or not a dealer can run that when he fixes a problem.

I doubt there was a problem with the testing station, or all of the cars would be failing...then again, that might not send up a red flag to a government agency.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to martx-5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help martx-5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2004, 01:36 PM   #8
robh456
robh456 is on a distinguished road

In any OBD II vehicle, there's a readiness monitor for a number of different tests that the system can perform - things like misfire, catalyst monitor, evaporative emissions leak detection. Some of these diagnostics (like misfire) run pretty much continously, while some require more specific conditions. I couldn't find any driving cycle info for the S-cars, but for a Saturn ION, this is the procedure and conditions that is supposed to be guaranteed to perform all of the tests. However, in some cases, such as if the catalyst is marginal, it may take a few tests for it to either consider the monitor "ready" or set a trouble code.

Cold Start
The barometric pressure (BARO) is more than 81 kPa.
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between 5-30C (41-86F).
The intake air temperature (IAT) is between 5-30C (41-86F).
The start-up ECT and IAT are within 9C (16F) of each other.
The battery voltage is between 9-16 volts.
The fuel level is between 15-85 percent.

Important: Whenever the ignition is turned ON, ignition positive voltage is supplied to the HO2S heaters. After verifying the enable criteria, turn OFF the ignition for approximately 5 minutes to allow the sensors to cool before continuing with the test. Once the engine is started, DO NOT turn the engine OFF for the remaining portion of the set procedure.

Turn OFF all of the accessories, e.g., A/C, blower fan, etc.
Set the vehicle parking brake.
Verify the transmission is in Park for automatic transmissions and Neutral for manual transmissions.
Start the engine and allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes.

Acceleration at part throttle to 89 km/h (55 mph) with this speed maintained until the engine reaches operating temperature. This may be up to 8 minutes depending on the start up coolant temperature.
Continued operation under these conditions for an additional 6 minutes.

Acceleration at part throttle to 72-89 km/h (45-55 mph) with this speed maintained for 2 minutes.
Deceleration to 0 km/h (0 mph).
Engine idling for 2 minutes while the following criteria is maintained:
The service brake is depressed.
The automatic transmission is in drive.
The manual transmission is in neutral with the clutch pedal depressed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robh456's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robh456 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-08-2004, 07:29 PM   #9
Lucas1
Advanced Member
Lucas1 is on a distinguished road

there seems to be some confusion on this topic. recently CA started checking the status of OBDII readiness monitors as a aprt of a smog check to keep people from taking a car with emissions related codes, clearing the codes then smogging their car before the monitor has a chance to run and set the code again. the check engine light only comes on when tail pipe emissions are 1.5 times the FTP(frderal test procedure), so even though the car might pass, even with whatever condition it may have, its not as clean as it should be, or can be.

when they started there could be upto 4 monitors not run. currently it is a 2 monitors that can be not run. there is no pass or fail, only run or not run, if anything fails it will set a code for the particular issue. also, this does not include contintious monitors like misfire and fuel controls. i think a 97 saturn has catalist,egr, o2 sensor,ho2s heater, i cant think of any others but there may be more.

the conditions for running monitors is pretty specific and they are all different. you need to find out the specific conditions then try to duplicate them. i have seen one time when an s car had a stuck open thermostat and it would never get warm enough to run any monitors, but usually they have no problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lucas1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lucas1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread