SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2019, 05:33 PM   #1
DawnR
DawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really nice

1997 SW2
2001 SC2
Default 97 SW2 Manual RPM's rev up while Hwy driving in 5th gear.

Hey everyone!
Long time no chat.

My 97' SW2 currently has 227k miles. I am still so in love with my little car.
The speed limit in WI ranges from 55-75mph on various freeways. The past 6 months or so while I am in 5th gear. The RPM's will suddenly jump. This is at random, I cannot find a common factor or driving habit that I can figure.
Cruise on/off. Uphill/level? Passing/not passing.

Does anyone have any ideas what is happening and what I should start looking into.
There are no check engine lights illuminated and no pending codes. I also had my transmission fluid changed about 25 thousand miles ago.

Thank you

I read, I learn, I try!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DawnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DawnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DawnR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2019, 09:29 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

Default Re: 97 SW2 Manual RPM's rev up while Hwy driving in 5th gear.

That is often symptom that the clutch is slipping under full engine load.

The next time you are cruising in 5th, at about 3000 rpm and on flat ground, punch the accel pedal quickly to the floor and hold it there. If the rpm increases beyond what you would expect from the car accel, then the clutch is probably getting tired.

This kind of problem usually first shows up when you shift to 5th on an uphill. If you are careful with the shifts, the clutch can last many years more. However, if it is happening with just you or the CC doing gentle non-shift throttle changes, then I think you are likely to need a clutch soon.

I suppose there is also a possibility that the clutch slave-cylinder is getting stuck so that it can't retract enough, but that is very unlikely. And, I don't think the "wire test" will be meaningful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
DawnR
DawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really nice

1997 SW2
2001 SC2

Thank you Billr

Can a clutch be done by a DIY'er like me?
I have been very comfortable mechanically with various cars.

I read, I learn, I try!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DawnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2019, 05:33 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

It's doable - fairly well documented. Not sure if a video ever got made, but there are a lot of links with tips in this thread
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=236009

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:37 PM   #5
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I'm about to do it. As always I'll document the process.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:15 AM   #6
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

I felt like this car was one of the easiest clutches to change. Transmission doesn’t need to come out; just slide into back.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #7
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Also --- when you get the tin inspection cover off - ensure that everything is dry. If oil soaked - the rear main seal is likely bad. This will need replacing. Fortunately you are doing the clutch anyway....

If everthing is dry - just the clutch job..

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #8
DawnR

1997 SW2
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
I'm about to do it. As always I'll document the process.
AWESOME! That would be so helpful
Thanks...I am not driving much this winter so I very much look forward to your process.

I read, I learn, I try!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-15-2019, 03:22 PM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Generally either the clutch slips or it doesn't. No random RPM blips, just a steady climb until you let off the throttle.

Get to about 70mph in 5th gear and floor it (need the engine around 3k RPM, peak torque), if it's slipping the RPM's will climb pretty dang fast while the road speed either climbs slowly or not at all.

Random blips seem more like a an electrical fault between the cluster, PCM and maybe the ICM if that's where the actual RPM signal is created.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:05 PM   #10
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

^ ^ ^
Good call

Does the engine noise change with the RPM blips, or is it just the gauge needle moving, with no change in how the engine sounds or how the car drives?

When you mentioned RPMs, I just assumed that both the needle jumped and the actual engine speed jumped with it.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #11
Ricketts
Ricketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really nice

2000 SC1

My original instrument cluster in mine would have the rpm's randomly jump a bit, I think it was the stepper motor getting stuck, or something slightly jamming the needle. I swapped out clusters for another one and the problem went away.

As indicated above, in 5th gear and press the throttle to the floor, if the rpm's smoothly rise above what you think they should, most likely clutch, but if the tach jumps suddenly or is twitchy, it's something else - electrical or cluster

2000 SC1 - Bone Stock
No power windows, no power locks, no AC, no cruise control...just a good DD that has nothing to break on it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ricketts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ricketts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote