SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2019, 07:39 PM   #1
My First Vue!
My First Vue! is on a distinguished road

Default 2009 vue

just bought a 1 owner 2009 VUE with 10,000 actual miles. Vehicle came out of Florida, not impressed with the salt water corrosion! The tachometer is not working...any suggestions? Looking for a set of factory service manuals, eBay has them, but are very pricey.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to My First Vue!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help My First Vue! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
My First Vue! is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2019, 01:12 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2009 vue

Back in the day, a set of GM manuals for my '03 L300 cost $145. Without service manuals, hearsay, rumors, misinformation and other adjectives gets in the way of sharing facts from fiction. If you find it too costly for factory manuals, consider alldata diy or Mitchell, both online for reasonable subscription service. Chilton and Haynes are general and leave out many details. Alldata and Mitchell are second to none, providing the same info as factory manuals.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Back in the day, a set of GM manuals for my '03 L300 cost $145. Without service manuals, hearsay, rumors, misinformation and other adjectives gets in the way of sharing facts from fiction. If you find it too costly for factory manuals, consider alldata diy or Mitchell, both online for reasonable subscription service. Chilton and Haynes are general and leave out many details. Alldata and Mitchell are second to none, providing the same info as factory manuals.
What about the repair manual cd's that you see on ebay? They claim to be the factory repair manuals on cd.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2 Ride's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 12:21 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm not familiar with CD service manuals purporting to be copies of GM manuals.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I'm not familiar with CD service manuals purporting to be copies of GM manuals.
like this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Vue-...-/202786923362

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2019, 05:11 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'd be leery of third party copies of service manuals. A member allowed me access to his subscription to alldata for his Vue several years ago. I can't remember details but alldata seems to be a duplicate of GM manuals. With limited access to Mitchell data online, they provided the same info but their wiring diagrams were in color to help trace circuit lines. Both online services keep up to date bulletins with Mitchell geared towards repair shops but not unfriendly to diyers. How each company deals with auto manufacturers, copy right fees, I don't know. Various eBay sellers with CDs pop up. Some good, others not. The devil is in the details like wading thru pages then finding failure with something. At least one member here reported his disappointment with pirated CDs. On the other hand, a well known Vue member here bought his CD and has everything for complete service manual info to service a few Vues in his family. If I were in your shoes, I'd check on buyer feedback, any return policy if a product fails to meet expectations, etc, before buying. Remember, eBay sellers of auto repair CDs may not be authorized by auto manufacturers unless specifically stating it in their ads. This leaves me to believe pirated copies. Your choice, genuine service manuals in paper form, authorized CD versions, alldata or Mitchell. Last are sellers on eBay. Alldata and Mitchell are online subscription services for one day, one week, a month, whatever. Haynes and Chilton provide about 80(?)% info and you don't know what's missing until after buying one and discover missing info. Great for general use.

Although buying a paper copy was steep, back around '05 my GM service manuals paid for itself in savings in diy repairs. One ac repair using service manuals paid for these manuals as there are details needed for proper repairs without second guessing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-27-2019, 05:29 PM   #7
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

thanks for that extensive write up, @fdryer

I just checked through the feedback on 4 of these various listings. it almost seems like the same person behind each listing because almost all of the negative feedback was the seller responding with one insult after another. his favorite one seems to be to accuse the buyer of being a competitor.

Last edited by SL2 Ride; 10-27-2019 at 05:42 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!