SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2018, 12:00 AM   #1
Wrenchturning
Wrenchturning is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default need help, serious (time to come clean)

Ok guys and gals i am stumped and need some help
I have a 2001 saturn L100 i got in early mid to late march from family, it had a blown head gasket and they couldn't fix it so they gave it to me for free. i drove it every now in then without draining the oil and coolant. Around april 10th I drove it into my garage to start the repair work on it, which entailed new timing set. When i undid the cams the intake shifted a little bit which i thought i could fix. i got everything put back together and it ran slightly out of time. i tried adjusting it only to make it worst. so i looked up on here timing reset and followed the forums instructions, which didnt work, bc i messed up, fixed my mistake, changed the start and it still wont run, replaced plugs, wires, coil, and control module. still wont fire. can some one help me out. I know im an idiot.

saturn l100 161228

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wrenchturning's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wrenchturning reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wrenchturning is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2018, 01:49 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: need help, serious (time to come clean)

1-Do you know how to mechanically time an engine? Know the difference between top dead center and incorrectly assuming top dead center when the engine is 180 degrees off TDC? There's only one TDC in 720 degrees of crankshaft rotation when intake and exhaust valves are closed.

2-If timing is correct then a compression test should verify valves weren't bent and stuck. Squirt a tablespoon of oil into each cylinder thru the spark plug hole, remove the fuel pump fuse to prevent engine flooding and have someone start the engine while you use a compression gauge to measure each cylinder's compression. If a compression gauge, borrowed from Autozone, has a hose extension and gauge that locks the needle with a one way valve similar to tire pressure gauges, compression testing can be a one man job. Expect around 185 psi per cylinder.

3-If you replaced the engine/powertrain control module, security will turn on and flash indicating a theft attempt as Passlock disables injector operation. A 30 minute Passlock relearn procedure is needed to sync the engine module to the body control module containing the Passlock program. Passlock in the bcm controls whether the engine module's injector program. Search for the relearn procedure or put the original engine module back without performing the relearn procedure. With Saturns, you cannot just simply assume replacing an engine control module or body control module without performing a relearn procedure. Relearn is GMs technical description for marrying one module to another as they exchange a password bit to one another. GM dealers with their scantool performs it in 10 minutes. Without their scantool, we have to perform it in 30 minutes.

If security is flashing during starting, injectors are disabled. Removing spark plugs should show dry plugs otherwise the plugs should be soaking wet from several starting attempts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
02 LW300
02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I love all the time wasted talking about a stick shift conversion and you canít make the engine run. On a scale of one to ten making the engine run is skill level 3, making a conversion from an automatic to a stick without a complete parts car is a level 7.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:08 PM   #4
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchturning View Post
Ok guys and gals i am stumped and need some help
I have a 2001 saturn L100 i got in early mid to late march from family, it had a blown head gasket and they couldn't fix it so they gave it to me for free. i drove it every now in then without draining the oil and coolant. Around april 10th I drove it into my garage to start the repair work on it, which entailed new timing set. When i undid the cams the intake shifted a little bit which i thought i could fix. i got everything put back together and it ran slightly out of time. i tried adjusting it only to make it worst. so i looked up on here timing reset and followed the forums instructions, which didnt work, bc i messed up, fixed my mistake, changed the start and it still wont run, replaced plugs, wires, coil, and control module. still wont fire. can some one help me out. I know im an idiot.
At this point in time it's no longer a DIY but a Shop to fix the problem. Anyone giving helping here now isn't going to get it going now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:08 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Cam and crank timing marks matching with the coloured links that should be on the timing chain.

TifToGif (1).gif

TifToGif 3.gif

TifToGif2.gif

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:24 PM   #6
Wrenchturning
Wrenchturning is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

look, im sorry i wasted yalls time on the conversion(if u read the thread i decided against it). also i dont have the money for a shop, as i just had a medical emergency and had to use my car budget for med bills, so please spare me. thanks for the pictures, i will try that this weekend, thanks for the help guys.

saturn l100 161228

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wrenchturning's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wrenchturning reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wrenchturning is offline   Reply With Quote