SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Oil Consumption Thoughts

Hey all,
Just wanted to share something that I have put together. I also want to thank Satlite440 and GM7 for putting up with me a few months ago. I have traded in the Equinox Sport for a 14 Terrain .. Which both the wife and I LOVE!!!
Anyway, here are my thoughts on Oil Consumption.

OIL CONSUMPTION THOUGHTS.

Here are my thoughts on the oil consumption issues with the V6 engines from 2006-2013 as well as the 4 cylinder engines from roughly 2010-2014. Let me state first, I AM NOT A TECH/MECHANIC. I am a fairly knowledgeable DIYer who has spoken with several GM Techs at multiple shops, done a lot of research on line, had numerous discussions with other experienced mechanics, and dealt with my own issues with this problem on a 2008 Equinox Sport with the 3.6 V6.

First, per several GM techs, to meet government mandated requirements for fuel efficiency, GM and several other manufacturers have opened up piston to cylinder clearance. This makes it more difficult for the rings to properly seal, as they have more space to properly. I was going to try and explain this all myself, but the links below do a much better job, and can be taken as far more accurate then I could have put together.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1...l-consumption/

http://www.toyotaproblems.com/trends...l-consumption/

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...tion/index.htm

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...tion-pcv-valve

Now, here is something that you can try, as described to me by a GM Master Tech, to get your engine unsludged and hopefully not consuming oil quite as bad.

as a semi-cheap hailmary, some friends who had an engine with excessive oil use let me try this:

1. Run 1/2 can of Marvel Mystery oil, 1 qt atf, top off with regular oil to the FULL MARK...run 1 week
2. Warm engine up with a drive of 20 miles, pull all plugs, use 2 bottles of GM Top End Engine Cleaner fill all cylinders to top let soak for 2 hrs. Suck out the left over cleaner & change oil, change out old ash fouled spark plugs with new. Clean PCV ports and update gasket, fresh oil plus a qt of atf again, get a new air filter

3. Add a 50/50 mix oil/atf for top off for the next 2 oil changes. GOOD LUCK.

A final thought on this is, most people get a new car and pamper it and donít run it very hard. In my opinion, this is a big part of the problem. The engines need to be pushed hard to allow the rings to properly seal. I think that with people not running the car hard, it will not create enough pressure in the cylinder to force the rings out to seal properly against the sidewall of the cylinder. My opinion is, that if you get the engine flushed out and oil use down, run it hard, 3-4K RPM for a couple of days. Keep the transmission down a gear or two, run the RPMs up, and this will force the rings out against the sidewall of the cylinder. Like I said, this is my opinion, and I have not tested this theory, but it makes sense from a technical standpoint.

I hope that this helps some of you with your problems. And note, that in each of the linksÖ GM is far from the worst culprit with this problem, which many of you will find hard to believe.

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #2
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Default Re: Oil Consumption Thoughts

Not sure of the connection between sludge and high oil consumption. Sludge is often the result of infrequent oil changes, so in reality the engine doesn't consume much oil at all. I had this 3.6L in a Cadillac a few years back and it was pretty sludged up but had no driveability symptoms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #3
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Atikovi,
I guess 'DESLUDGE' is the wrong word. More, DECARBONIZE, the tops of the piston, the rings, and the cylinder walls. Which then allows the rings to seal better leading to less oil blow by.
And, I remember that picture from my first thread about 3.6 timing chains issues. I am pretty sure that the sludge that you dealt with was was caused by low oil level leading to EXCESSIVE heat build up and the oil turning into that tar. And the low oil level was caused by the oil consumption issues and no one ever physically checking the oil level themselves. And this is where DESLUDGE comes in. I think that the methods I suggested to DECARBONIZE the tops of the piston and cylinder walls would also clean a lot of the gunk elsewhere in the engine.
I am sure that if I am wrong, someone more engine savvy than me will say something.

John

aka
Lord_Varon
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #4
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 will become famous soon enoughgm7 will become famous soon enough

2009 VUE Red Line

Good to hear from you John and congrats on the '14 Terrain replacement and glad you are happy with it. I think we were on the same page about your Vue that used a lot of oil. It was abused John...even if not deliberately.

As discussed, the dynamic goes like...extended oil change intervals...perhaps aggravated by stop and go driving, owners not checking the oil...running the motor out of oil which causes a myriad of problems from timing chains to the oil consumption issue you had including sludging. A plugged air filter many don't change simply make the matter worse.

By contrast, my '09 Vue Redline now with 41K miles...yes very low miles...has been perfect. It uses no discernible oil between 3K mile changes..some have been 5K miles. I run regular dino and not synthetic oil in it. It is also a bit of freak. It feels like it has 300hp. When I stand on the gas, it wants to break the tires loose. It has a pretty pronounced torque steer because the motor is so frisky. If I don't spin the tires if racing, it feels like it will stay with anything short of a performance car. Also the trans shifts in 3rd gear seamlessly. No sign so far of the wave plate issue.

I still love the car but I was the original owner. When you aren't the orginal owner, anything can happen. You can even buy a car that has been flooded. Most won't be cared for as well as people interested in cars like those that would come to the forum and perform their own repairs.

Will see what the end of '18 brings when I run out of extended transmission warranty. I may trade it...but the car is worth way more to me than others because it still looks brand new from 10 feet.

Not sure what I would replace it with as I enjoy the utility of a cross over SUV..versus a sedan. I have considered a sports coupe and may try that for a while but I am sure I would miss the utility and sitting up high.

I like the new Terrain but the Cadillac XT5 better. May pick one up with a few miles. Will see.

Again, I believe the oil consumption issue is abuse and nothing to do with the architecture of the V6...or piston to wall clearances or any other possible premises. No doubt bad engines get built. But the V6 GM engines I have owned which have been a lot, have been pretty flawless.

My oil always checks clean. I removed the PVC fixed orifice valve and it was clear. I opened the holes only 'slightly' with a fine round file.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:49 PM   #5
lord_varon
Advanced Member

2008 VUE 3.6L

GM7,
I had an 08 Equinox Sport that was the problem child, not my 07 Vue.
And the Terrain I have, straight up hauls @as!!! It is the later 300 h.p. version.
And, if you look at my post, I don't bash the 3.6 specifically, I do quote from what GM Master Technicians have told me, including Satlite440. I posted the links to fully explain the issues that a bunch of the earlier 3.6 engines, and a LOT of the 4 cylinder engines are having. I am a member of several Equinox pages on FB, and the multitude of members having oil consumption issues with the 4 cylinder engines is shocking. I believe that the engines, if broken in by running them hard and forcing higher pressures to properly seal the rings would greatly reduce the oil consumption issues.
With my old Equinox, I think that it was not properly broken in, by running hard, but broken in old school by running it gently. This allowed the engine to slightly wear, as it should, and the oil consumption started, exacerbated by the oil monitoring system set too high. This allowed the oil level to drop off to the point that the chains and tensioners were wearing. You, yourself have stated that you push your Vue fairly hard, which seals the engine better. Plus, with the low miles on your car, it is no wonder that you are not having problems. I believe that you have a well maintained, tightly sealed engine, that should last YEARS. And any other folks who run them, or the 4 bangers, similarly should be fine.

John

aka
Lord_Varon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

Hi John,
All said, in light of what you believe..there to be a fair amount of poorly manufactured 4 and 6 cyl GM motors out there that use oil due to clearances and what you say lack of hard run in, why did you buy another V6 Terrain? GM presumably likely has not miraculously revised their manufacturing process beginning in '14 so why would you buy another V6 GM SUV?

Can you tell us about your Terrain engine performance? Do you know the history of the vehicle? Does it use any oil? Do you know that the oil change interval was prior to your purchase or owner driving habits?
No doubt it hauls @$$ if it is the direct injected version of the 3.6L which sounds like it is with over 300 horse. I am sure you have read that direct injected versions of the 3.6L used on many Cadillacs for example were more problematic for timing chain issues because of the skinnier chain...likely resolved by '14 model year however.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2018, 01:55 PM   #7
lord_varon
Advanced Member

2008 VUE 3.6L

GM7,
I want you to realize, I am not trying to bash the engines anymore. This is more general information. I bought the 08 Equinox without doing proper research. Had I seen that the 08 Vue and Equinox had the transmission reliability and potential oil consumption issues, I would not have bought it. That being said, I did more research, and the oil consumption issues are minimal with the new 3.6, as, per Satlite440, they updated the design to eliminate a lot of the possibility of it starting. And in my research, it showed no issues with the 14 3.6 engines. That was something that I specifically looked for. But the 4 cylinder engines are showing big issues. Again, not me, multiple reports from other sources.

Also, this time I not only have the remainder of the 5 year/100,000 mile engine and transmission warranty, plus an additional 3 year/36,000 mile service plan.

John.

aka
Lord_Varon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #8
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_varon View Post
GM7,
I want you to realize, I am not trying to bash the engines anymore. This is more general information. I bought the 08 Equinox without doing proper research. Had I seen that the 08 Vue and Equinox had the transmission reliability and potential oil consumption issues, I would not have bought it. That being said, I did more research, and the oil consumption issues are minimal with the new 3.6, as, per Satlite440, they updated the design to eliminate a lot of the possibility of it starting. And in my research, it showed no issues with the 14 3.6 engines. That was something that I specifically looked for. But the 4 cylinder engines are showing big issues. Again, not me, multiple reports from other sources.

Also, this time I not only have the remainder of the 5 year/100,000 mile engine and transmission warranty, plus an additional 3 year/36,000 mile service plan.

John.
Hard for me to bash the 3.6 because all the V6's I have owned from GM...3.1L, 3.6L and 3.8L have never used any appreciable oil. Of course I have bought the cars new and changed the air filter and oil frequently...and broke them in medium...not babied nor bashed.

Can you add a bit more detail to what you wrote above in bold?
I am curious what years you believe the 3.6L both low horsepower or direct injected suffered oil consumption issues? Pretty clear you believe the '08 did. How about the '09 which is the year of my car? You say your '14 is unaffected.

What model year did GM resolve the oil consumption issue? Do you know what changes they made to resolve the issue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Old 03-07-2018, 09:22 PM   #9
luklyz
luklyz is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

The 3.6 engine itís a good engine. The problem is lack of proper oil or oil maintenance.

The Saturn Vue was sold in Europe as Opel Antera with 3.2 V6 engine. The construction of the engine is same as 3.6. The recommended oil for this engine is one that exceeds GM-LL-A-025 which equals to full high-quality synthetic oil 0w-30.
In the USA recommended oil for Vue 3.6 is one that exceeds gm6094m 5w-30 which is every other synthetic blend.
This engine runs a little hotter than other engines. The temperature between cylinders is around 220F with thermostat operating at 180F. Higher operating temperature is causing oil to break down faster (oil carbonation). Clogging small oil supplying channels leading to clogged piston ring and oil consumption, chain wear.
One of the GM fixed for this engine was to change (reduce) time between oil changes to reduce carbonation of the engine oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to luklyz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help luklyz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
luklyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:10 AM   #10
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by luklyz View Post
The 3.6 engine itís a good engine. The problem is lack of proper oil or oil maintenance.

The Saturn Vue was sold in Europe as Opel Antera with 3.2 V6 engine. The construction of the engine is same as 3.6. The recommended oil for this engine is one that exceeds GM-LL-A-025 which equals to full high-quality synthetic oil 0w-30.
In the USA recommended oil for Vue 3.6 is one that exceeds gm6094m 5w-30 which is every other synthetic blend.
This engine runs a little hotter than other engines. The temperature between cylinders is around 220F with thermostat operating at 180F. Higher operating temperature is causing oil to break down faster (oil carbonation). Clogging small oil supplying channels leading to clogged piston ring and oil consumption, chain wear.
One of the GM fixed for this engine was to change (reduce) time between oil changes to reduce carbonation of the engine oil.
I agree. I believe denigration of the 3.6L is unfounded. The design is solid. Now it could be argued that GM screwed the pooch on early versions with extended oil change intervals. But even many of these cars survived unscathed without copious oil consumption if the owner checked the oil and driving conditions weren't overly harsh. I worked in the industry as an engineer and at the GM tech center for a period. All engines manufactured are a bell curve of tolerances. Within this tolerance there will be some slight variation in oil consumption from the factory. I owned a Saturn SL2 5 speed coupe with one of the sweetest 4 cylinders I have owned and even with DOHC, a decent home mechanic could tear down in his garage. Mine used a bit of oil but the motor was sweet, sounded perfect and had good power. If I never checked the oil on that car, the sweet motor in that car would have turned to rubbish as well.

There are a few different pictures like above with sludged 3.6L top end on the internet....Cadillac forums etc. Don't want to throw Cadillac owners under the bus, but most of them could never find a dip stick. These are abused engines, run out of oil with excessive oil change intervals likely with clogged air filters as well. Abuse any engine and it will turn to $h!t.

Last edited by gm7; 03-08-2018 at 05:18 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Old 03-08-2018, 04:52 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

While there's evidence of manufacturers declaring "oil usage of xxx miles per quart" is acceptable when new, my guess is they're hedging to reduce their liability until taken to court with an owner screaming loudly for all to hear when GM/Ford/Fiat-Chrysler/Honda et tal reluctantly caves in quietly and rebuilds a few engines. Statistically, it's easier to deny liability until hauled into court. Be that as it may, I thought most engine manufacturers evolved over the years to modernize tooling to reduce tolerances to a degree with computerized machining to duplicate hundreds of thousands of engines and xmissions to raise quality levels higher while reducing manufacturing costs, elevate engine/xmission reliability to a higher level overall compared to older machining. Having tighter tolerances usually means a better engine to last longer despite most car manufacturers wanting us to buy a new vehicle every few years. I'd like to believe better engines with lower overall oil consumption issues. My '03 L300 hasn't used oil in 100k+ miles. For personal reasons, I chose to use extended oil change intervals when I bought it with 12k or 15k miles. Went to Mobil-1 synthetic and kept the oil filter in for two OCIs, approximately 15k miles for a few years then decided to modify this further to replacing oil filter at every OCI (5k-7.5k miles) but go two OCIs before replacing oil. No oil consumption at all. A light blue exhaust smoke at engine startup quickly disappears. Dipstick checks show little to zero oil use. All NYC driving with highways everywhere. Most L300/Vue members have never complained of oil usage issues with this 3.0L V6 engine. I'd like to think computerized machining allows tighter machining tolerances to allow better long term longevity whether using dino or synthetic oil, extended OCIs or not. Yes, lowering oil viscosity does help with fuel economy but we're comparing apples to apples - 5w20 instead of 5w30? If nitpicking then if my engine calls for 5w30 summer and winter, I would probably use 5w30 for summer and if possible 5w20 in winter. With synthetic oil its moot (from my view point). I mixed both at one point or another when there's a Walmart sale. While what I do may be considered heresy to many, to each his own. I see no evidence of any real oil consumption issues, spark plugs replaced at 100k miles show them to look as good as new when compared to new plugs. Some may argue this V6 engine came from Europe and whether it does or not shouldn't change the way engines are manufactured (here or elsewhere).

As a rule, 4 cyl engines run at higher power levels than V6s and always gets better fuel economy. This also translates to wear rates higher compared to V6s so there may be inferences of higher oil usage compared to 6 cyl engines, relative to each other in this discussion. In the end, if a new engine uses oil at 500 miles per quart and remains this way right up to the one new car warranty and a dealer states it's normal, I would have my say to the dealer, regional rep and corporate then if it isn't resolved, consider litigation if it's a genuine faulty issue with manufacturing while hiding behind the "that's normal" excuse.

To use a recent example, the deaths of high school students with students forming public and online protests to make politicians sit up and take notice is civil disobedience on a better level to force change for the better. Many voices can create change. One disgruntled car owner won't make a difference unless word spreads on public forums and action taken to create a small storm no car manufacturer wants in the news media. Another example was an inadvertent discovery of VW deliberately cheating on diesel emissions by a research group studying diesel vehicles. The inadvertent discovery of VW using Bosch programming to switch off diesel emissions monitoring while driving cost VW somewhere in the billions of fines. Bosch developed the program and had VW agree to never using it except for testing. VW decided, at the corporate level, to abuse this privilege and was caught. Corporate malfeasance and fines in the billions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:36 AM   #12
lord_varon
Advanced Member

2008 VUE 3.6L

Wow,
Some of you folks are not reading everything I wrote, or not comprehending it.
First off, I only put my opinion in at the very end of the original post when I talk about the engine break-in process. All the rest is either directly from GM Techs, Satlite440 and others, or from the articles that I posted links to. And I specifically posted those links to explain and educate about the issue. So, please, reread them, and hopefully that will clear up some of what is not being understood.
Second, several members keep going on about CNC machining should mean tighter tolerances. It does, but not the way that you are talking about. Making tighter fitting parts, tighter tolerances, means more heat, more friction, more drag, and reduced fuel economy. Also an engine that won't burn oil. However, the real benefit of CNC machining is that the manufacturer can get all the cylinders much closer in size to each other, tighter tolerance, and then, all the pistons closer in size, again a tighter tolerance. But those pieces have more gap between them to reduce drag and friction, which helps raise fuel economy as mandated by the government. This greater cylinder to piston gap is left to the rings to try and seal, which they have a hard time doing. To make matters worse, as the engines wear in, those gaps open up even more, making the rings job even harder.

John

aka
Lord_Varon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-09-2018, 11:47 AM   #13
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Quote:
Making tighter fitting parts, tighter tolerances, means more heat, more friction, more drag, and reduced fuel economy.
Why would that be? Pistons don't actually contact the cylinders no matter what the tolerances are until they seize. The film of oil separates them, and the lighter weight oils take car of the friction and drag.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #14
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Wow,
Some of you folks are not reading everything I wrote, or not comprehending it.
First off, I only put my opinion in at the very end of the original post when I talk about the engine break-in process. All the rest is either directly from GM Techs, Satlite440 and others, or from the articles that I posted links to. And I specifically posted those links to explain and educate about the issue. So, please, reread them, and hopefully that will clear up some of what is not being understood.
Second, several members keep going on about CNC machining should mean tighter tolerances. It does, but not the way that you are talking about. Making tighter fitting parts, tighter tolerances, means more heat, more friction, more drag, and reduced fuel economy. Also an engine that won't burn oil. However, the real benefit of CNC machining is that the manufacturer can get all the cylinders much closer in size to each other, tighter tolerance, and then, all the pistons closer in size, again a tighter tolerance. But those pieces have more gap between them to reduce drag and friction, which helps raise fuel economy as mandated by the government. This greater cylinder to piston gap is left to the rings to try and seal, which they have a hard time doing. To make matters worse, as the engines wear in, those gaps open up even more, making the rings job even harder.

John
Forgive me John, but what you write is beyond simplistic. What you write...is generic gobbly gook. Have you seen the statistical analysis and tolerance stack up of any or all the parts? What do you think engineers do all day? Do you think they have a blind eye for tolerances...or CAFE...or oil consumption?
How about this John? Are pistons select fit to bores? If so, expound a bit on what the fit method is. Where is the jump off point on next size? What metallurgies do they look at and in particular range of material properties related tolerances to optimize wear? How about oil pump pressure versus RPM?

Suffice to say your head would spin if you really understood what engineers think about that are responsible for these engines. There are teams of engineers dedicated to subjects like oil consumption versus parasitic drag affecting CAFE and accelerated wear.

So please, unless you can site actual data and substantive engineering changes performed to the 3.6L V6 over its product development cycle, please don't spout anecdotal platitudes. It is merely fake news. My '09 3.6L has been about as perfect a motor as I have owned with one of the lowest oil consumption rates. Every engine that goes down the assembly line is a bit different based upon tolerances. I am certain there 2018 GM V6's with looser piston to ring to wall tolerances than my '09 3.6L that use more oil. Engine tolerances are largely a lottery and why some engines run freakishly well and others like dogs. Some are noisy and some purr.

Again, if you believe that the modern 3.6L V6...say the one you have in your new Terrain has been improved versus previous model years, please explain what changes have been made and site data if you would.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Old 03-09-2018, 05:32 PM   #15
lord_varon
Advanced Member

2008 VUE 3.6L

Altkovi and all..
Again, please read the links in my earlier post. Everything is explained in them, including the whole tolerances issues. And I am know engineer or designer, but it seems to me, that the closer the piston is to the cylinder walls, that is going to lead to heat build up. There is only so much heat that thin coating of oil can disperse.
Also, try reading these links.

http://atomium.eu/home/excessive-oil-consumption/

http://www.aa1car.com/library/oil_consumption.htm

And, if anyone has not realized, I am not specifically bashing any engine. Just putting out information on Oil Consumption in engines in general.

As for where I get the information that I am putting out, Google is a wonderful thing. Do a Google search for. GM engine oil consumption, OR what causes oil consumption, or anything similar.

John

aka
Lord_Varon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-09-2018, 05:34 PM   #16
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

gm7, please leave out the words 'fake news' as it has taken on new meaning in the political arena. I do enjoy your comments but dislike the two words only because a certain person seems to misuse the words too often..... Perhaps 'poppycock', 'boulder dash', 'WTF', 'cripes almighty', 'poop' or any other words would suffice. I prefer to remain a .

lord_varon, please do not take offense as these discussions are just that. When I state cnc machining, its does imply tighter tolerances, lowering margin of errors that used to allow a range of pistons to be, say 2.1'' to 2.005" in diameter. CNC machining ensures every piston remains at one measurement without wandering. Tighter tolerances using cnc machining allows better fits because extrapolating non cnc machining may mean tighter fitting of fatter pistons and also smaller pistons loosely fitting in cylinder bores. Now consider if non cnc cylinder bores allowed both smaller and larger diameters and you have a recipe for misfits that's allowed as part of engine break-in procedures and the subsequent uneven oil consumption issues of the same engine in two cars. CNC machining simply allows better quality machining to allow across the board engines with similar wear patterns for the life of engines, relying on owners to follow manufacturers suggestions on oil replacement intervals. As to tighter fitting parts, all machining for engines takes into account the thermal expansion rates of dissimilar metals and how to maximize clearances to allow the thin film of oil to act as lubricant and separate metal to metal contact.

BTW, I enjoy this discussion to learn what others know in their replies and try adding to it when possible. The one cell between my ears as a non engineer holds very little info so I use verified info that wasn't adulterated into myth to become gospel. There are so many things that are way above my head that scares me........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #17
atikovi
Advanced Member

From those 2 links, I gather that 500 or 600 miles per quart is excessive. I haven't read this whole thread, but how much more is your engine using so that you are concerned?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #18
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
From those 2 links, I gather that 500 or 600 miles per quart is excessive. I haven't read this whole thread, but how much more is your engine using so that you are concerned?
Conversation was spawned by a SUV with 3.6L V6 that John bought with 'an abused engine'. From that, wild speculation has been fomented that the actual motor is flawed in the context of oil consumption that I took exception to for the simple reason that my 3.6L in '09 Vue uses no discernible oil between 3K mile oil changes. For every 100,000 units made of 'any' engine design down a factory assembly line there will be engines that use virtually no oil like mine and others use a surprising amount based upon tolerance spread of parts. Also, some will produce more hp and some less. Some will run at a higher temperature and some less. Some will use more fuel for the same load and some less. This is all within the same engine design.

The single biggest reason for the ugly engines sludged up posted on internet is the 'extended' computer oil change interval that GM changed for obvious reasons. Biggest subset of this issue isn't the extended oil change interval, which isn't good btw, but rather the owner not checking the oil and running the engine out of oil. This is the 1, 2 punch from hell for 'any' engine. It says in every operating manual ever written to 'keep oil level up'. Many don't do this. Many never change the engine coolant or brake fluid either...or ever rotate the tires, or even check the tires for air pressure. Many run their car out of gas and ruin the fuel pump as well. People kill cars more than any inherent weakness in the design which has evolved over decades.

The design of the V6 engine...has evolved over many years. My elderly Mom's 1999 Old Cutlass 3.1L V6 still runs fine and uses little oil between 3K mile oil changes as it has now for 2 decades. Most GM V6's are ridiculously robust and I know because I have owned several. If abused, any engine will f-up.

Last edited by gm7; 03-10-2018 at 08:10 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Old 04-10-2018, 04:57 PM   #19
Oscar Moreno
Oscar Moreno is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

Thanks for the info guys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Oscar Moreno's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Oscar Moreno reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Oscar Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #20
atikovi
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm7 View Post
the owner not checking the oil and running the engine out of oil.
No low oil level warning light? Pretty sure I remember some 90's GM cars that had that feature.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!