SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2018, 10:33 PM   #1
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Default Front end clunks or rattles.

Trying to locate the source of these noises on a 2004 Redline with 190,000 miles. Most noticeable going over bumps and potholes. Swaybar and links are tight. Bounced each corner up and down and struts seemed tight. Lifted the front at the frame and used a prybar under a tire and couldn't see or feel any play in the ball joints. What else to check? Could it be strut mounts or the struts themselves?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2018, 06:00 PM   #2
SylenThunder
SylenThunder is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Front end clunks or rattles.

Yeah, I'd check the upper struts, and also the engine mounts.

My '04 had a similar issue last summer, and it was some connector/bushing thing at the top of the strut towers. They were original shocks so we got everything replaced. I'll have to look to see what the specific part was.
I've had engine mounts do something similar on other cars, so doesn't hurt to check them either.

2004 FWD, Vti, 2.2L
Custom CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SylenThunder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SylenThunder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SylenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:50 PM   #3
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Ordered a set of Monroe struts and mounts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2018, 11:27 PM   #4
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

At,
Check under the dashboard and look at the U-joint in the steering shaft. Also, check all the parts on brakes..... Look at the brake pad retainer clips and the pin bushings. These were the things that I replaced to get my 07 Vue quiet.

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
Claybury
Claybury will become famous soon enough

Don't forget to check the suspension bushings. The control arm lower rear gives a clunk over rough surfaces when it is worn out. You may not notice it is bad with the frame jacked up as the strut spring pushes down on it. With weight on the wheel it can float.
As long as the strut is out it is a good time to replace the rubber anyway.

2002 SC2 1.9L
2007 Vue 3.5L
1985 Fiero SE 3.1L
1974 Triumph Spitfire 3.1L V6
2002 Ram duelly diesel 5.9L
1975 Honda PA50 0.05L (Swarm and destroy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Claybury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Claybury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Claybury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #6
blaster88
blaster88 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

Did you locate a specific cause?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blaster88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blaster88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blaster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:22 AM   #7
atikovi
Advanced Member

Just put everything back together but need to clean the inside of the wheels before putting them back on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #8
mlc5
mlc5 is a jewel in the roughmlc5 is a jewel in the roughmlc5 is a jewel in the rough

if the struts don't cure it.. and you've never replaced the mounts.. I would definitely look into them.. . particularly the passenger side mount up top.. (very easy to change).. and the mount up front .. under the radiator.. towards the center.. (pretty easy as well)..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mlc5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mlc5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mlc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #9
atikovi
Advanced Member

Well son of *****, took it for a drive this morning and the noise is still there. New struts, strut mounts, control arms, ball joints, bushings, tie rod ends and it still clunks over small ripples in the road. At least it feels good and tight. Only possible thing left I haven't replaced are the sway bar mounts. So I removed the end links and tied up the bar for a test drive. No more noise. So at least I need those mounting bushings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-16-2018, 11:05 PM   #10
blaster88
blaster88 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

Have you figured out the part number for the Red Line bushings?

According to Amazon these fit:

Moog K200336 Sway Bar Bushing Kit

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blaster88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blaster88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blaster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:29 AM   #11
atikovi
Advanced Member

I ordered a pair from a GM dealer with the VIN.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-05-2018, 04:22 PM   #12
Manospeed
Manospeed is on a distinguished road

I have the exact same problem on my 2007 Vue with 130,000 miles on it. The front end creaks and noise drive me crazy, but I don't want to start replacing everything until I've identified the root cause of the problem.

Plan on following this thread to gain more insight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Manospeed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Manospeed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Manospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #13
newbievueowner
newbievueowner will become famous soon enoughnewbievueowner will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE Red Line

Sounds like swaybar links to me.... They can look/feel good and tight when pushing on them but there is still a bit of play in there that causes a noise/rattle when going over bumps (usually at slower speeds).

Saturn Vue: The 250 HP tupperware

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newbievueowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:06 PM   #14
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

As I stated earlier, look at the under dash U-joint in the steering shaft column. I had a thunking in there on mine. Also, the brake pad retainer clips and pins. I finally got my old Vue silent in the front by checking all of these items.

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:17 PM   #15
Ken L.
Ken L. has a spectacular aura aboutKen L. has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE Red Line

Itís 100% the motor mounts. Check out this thread I started thread. Good luck.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223750

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ken L.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ken L. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ken L. is offline   Reply With Quote