SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2018, 11:41 AM   #1
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default Members, Get Your Asstra in Gear

Hello Saturn Astra Fans,

Consider this posting as self-serving, and facile bloviating on my part if you must, but I am concerned with the lack of participation here the last three or four months, to include my own waywardness.

I believe this can be contributed to a number of factors, the most prevalent being that most Astras are well into 90K plus miles usage (150K Km?) and very often possessions of second and third owners. And let us not forget those lost in collisions and because of the age and miles, no longer deemed repairable by many insurance companies. One only needs looking at www.car-part.com to appreciate the number of Astras now in boneyards after damage.

I want to make an appeal to all who read this to try to make at least one comment or contribution each month left in 2018, even if it is to say “Kiss-my-ass” in Swahili, Tongan or other obscure tongue. Canadian members should endeavor to make this same comment or similar in the unusual and strange languages (Inuit?) found in the vastness of your northern territories….. Québécois will suffice.

My final suggestion and request is a “proof of life” posting of you and your Astra (or just your Astra) in your environs for all here to appreciate. I would hate to see our resource here die a slow death and rather encourage all here to participate. It’s only because I love this car and value what has been shared here that I make such demands on you.

Who is with me?

Last edited by JFS; 03-04-2018 at 11:46 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2018, 10:20 PM   #2
C152
C152 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Members, Get Your Asstra in Gear

Hi JFS,
I'm with you, General.. We gotta keep it going, this site to is an excellent resource. I want to keep both my Astras running as long as possible.

Kind Regards,
C152
2008 Saturn 5dr XE (Opelized) Astra
2008 Saturn 3dr XR (to be Opelized) - OK, it's my daughter's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to C152's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help C152 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
C152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:39 AM   #3
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

If I had anything to report, I would! But owning this car has been very uneventful. Just hit 95,000 miles over the weekend.

'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maschinenbauer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maschinenbauer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:22 PM   #4
AstraFasta
AstraFasta will become famous soon enoughAstraFasta will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by maschinenbauer View Post
If I had anything to report, I would! But owning this car has been very uneventful.
Not my case!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:05 PM   #5
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

192k KM and now slowly rising. I am the original owner since november 2009, driven from toronto, Ontario to charlottetown, PEI as the longest trip followed by Toronto to Bangor, Maine to visit Phatfire6 when he was still on the forums.

My astra is now parked every winter and will be preserved for a long long time, I've been doing research into making it a real vxr with a 2.0T engine swap.

The only reason I would ever get rid of the astra is if it was in a accident and I couldn't get her fixed.

There she is in the hibernation space!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25271239_513998472299483_399776940_o.jpg (78.1 KB, 24 views)

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:17 PM   #6
AstraFasta
AstraFasta will become famous soon enoughAstraFasta will become famous soon enough

nicolas,

you have plenty of space so should pick up a spare Astra at fire sale prices to ensure you have parts for a long time!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:41 PM   #7
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

Naung anarvik?

I'm just at 68,000kms on my 2009 Astra. While we are at it, don't forget to check into my "The Last Astra Owner Thread": http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191809 . Its a non-serious challenge to be the last Saturn Astra owner, that I seriously plan to win. If I keep my mileage low, maybe I have a chance.

I'll try to get a pic of my Astra in a nice environ for this thread, after I get the ugly winter wheels off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kikastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:33 PM   #8
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Bought my Astra as my first car from a dealership I work at. Never knew anything about the car but originally when my Dad told me it was an "import" I decided to take on the challenge.. Almost 2 years later, 1 fender bender, and about $1500 in parts later still love my car to death. Always get people looking over their shoulder when they pass me trying to figure out wtf it is (debaged on the back). I love my Astra and dont plan on getting rid of it any time soon.

Just rolled 112k miles, 4th owner

'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-Thule Roof Rack (and wind fairing)
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FreedomSoftware's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FreedomSoftware reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:02 PM   #9
simpay75
simpay75 is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XR

Bought my Astra 3dr, xr, 2009, 110K on o'clock - 6 months ago on auction, after accident. Now already 114k. I like that car. About problems:
- need good cleaning inside;
- something with a/c - no cold air (compressor works, good pressure) - will try to figure out on weekends;
- headlights - not the best;
- by previous owner was installed aftermarket stereo EONON - need to be fixed rear view camera (when engine not works - excellent rear view, but when start engine - mostly disappear).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (41.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20171111_154734.jpg (104.4 KB, 14 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to simpay75's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help simpay75 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
simpay75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:42 AM   #10
Brenton
Brenton is on a distinguished road

Oh boy. I can't say my experiences have been uneventful and I've been meaning to post more, but between continuing education and a variety of setbacks I haven't really had the time. I bought my Astra in April of 2015 at 47,000ish km and vacation in Alberta - partly for the family and partly because their wreckers are generally superior to the ones we have here in Manitoba.

A couple of the things I've done in my ownership:

1) Auto. Dimming. Rear. View. Mirror. One of the biggest things I've seen lacking here that I saw a fair bit of on the Mazda Protege forums was cross-model compatibility. The Astra shares a mirror connector with a huge range of GM models like the Equinox/Torrent, most Cadillacs, etc. Higher trims have a mirror that auto-dims, has a no-configure compass and OnStar. Switching this out is cake and I ought to make a tutorial, although it's literally one screw and makes life so much better.

Changed head unit to a double din aftermarket Kenwood unit with a Connects2. Bought the euro wiring kit, found out all I needed was the aerial from it. Dang. Unit works nicely and goes well with the range of speakers I've acquired from the wrecker. Our prices at yards in Manitoba are obscenely low. Currently about to replace the center dash speaker with one from a Volvo that may or may not fit the enclosure. It was cheap.

Upgraded to the 2 Door Gauges because the 4 door ones don't do it for me. Experimented with changing the needles in a spare gauge cluster I had to the ones from the Aura. Looked nice but ultimately just accepted the 2 door gauges - may change my mind later as I still have it in storage.

Recently grabbed a Borla single in dual out exhaust from a Grand Am in Alberta for $25 and modified to it fit. And by that I mean had a friend weld it up and made some adjustments for fitment which led to the bumper being nearly pushed off and my flex pipe giving up the ghost this morning. Parts were ordered, lessons were learned and life goes on. I really should plan my projects/vacations better.

Airbox de-restriction as per this forum. Thanks for the tutorial. I have a K&N panel filter, and spray the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner periodically. No issues.

Replaced the valve cover twice so far. First time the rubber PCV valve thing went. Second time same as the first. Third valve cover is from a Sonic and has held so far.

There's plenty more but if I'm gonna post once a month minimum I should save something. Any questions about the things I've done - fire 'em my way.

Currently at 135,000 km. Still chugging along.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brenton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brenton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Brenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:12 AM   #11
Brenton
Brenton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpay75 View Post
- headlights - not the best;
- by previous owner was installed aftermarket stereo EONON - need to be fixed rear view camera (when engine not works - excellent rear view, but when start engine - mostly disappear).
- I find the headlights we have fantastic, unless you're referring to the damage your poor Astra has there.

- Eonon has decent wiring manuals on their website (I recently pulled an Eonon deck from a Mazda 3 for a friend) that might help you figure out what's going on there. Sounds like something isn't connected right for sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brenton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brenton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Brenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #12
simpay75
simpay75 is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XR

thanks, about headlights - I mean that mine not the best condition - dim covers, probably need to be polished;
- about EONON - for sure, I think something connected wrong, found in Internet that such a problems because of electrical interference from rear lights (+ because of that - problems with GPS navigator).

when I bought - was damaged front bumper - fixed by myself, left front fender + front hood - found on salvage from same model after hail, repair + paint; drivers headlight - also found from salvage. after all work done - with alignment, safety, body integrity, parts, tires, paint, job - car cost me around 3.6 k CAD $.

P.S. thanks for advise and some ideas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to simpay75's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help simpay75 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
simpay75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:49 PM   #13
YULAstra
YULAstra is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikastra View Post
Naung anarvik?

I'm just at 68,000kms on my 2009 Astra. While we are at it, don't forget to check into my "The Last Astra Owner Thread": http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191809 . Its a non-serious challenge to be the last Saturn Astra owner, that I seriously plan to win. If I keep my mileage low, maybe I have a chance.

I'll try to get a pic of my Astra in a nice environ for this thread, after I get the ugly winter wheels off.
I have 95k on mine and always on the hunt for another just because. Although my road bike is worth more I like simple hatchbacks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to YULAstra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help YULAstra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
YULAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:03 AM   #14
lmmoquin
lmmoquin is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas_p View Post
I've been doing research into making it a real vxr with a 2.0T engine swap.
!
nicolas_p, if you ever make any headway with this, I would love to talk with you about it. I've had a 2.0t engine swap in mind for my Astra almost since I got it, and I would love to find out more about it.

2008 XR Coupe
Twilight Blue
Wonderful Daily Driver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lmmoquin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lmmoquin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lmmoquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #15
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmmoquin View Post
nicolas_p, if you ever make any headway with this, I would love to talk with you about it. I've had a 2.0t engine swap in mind for my Astra almost since I got it, and I would love to find out more about it.
Haven't made any headway in terms of getting the parts but I know we will require the subframe, engine with all the accesories (turbo, FMIC, ...), 6spd tranmission, ecu for it to work.

Average cost of a lower mileage vxr is 3000 Pounds which would be the easiest route since you would have a full parts car to work with plus you get vxr bumpers for your car, or just swap over the dash from our and done.

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:49 AM   #16
jamie225
jamie225 is on a distinguished road

hi all..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jamie225's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jamie225 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jamie225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #17
lmmoquin

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
we will require the subframe, engine with all the accesories (turbo, FMIC, ...), 6spd tranmission, ecu for it to work.

Average cost of a lower mileage vxr is 3000 Pounds which would be the easiest route
Unfortunately (for a few reasons), I live in the US. So, finding the right engine and transmission wouldn't be difficult; I've got the '08-'11 Cobalt SS and HHR SS. The biggest problem I will have in finding a subframe that will work. So, I guess my best option is to just get a second car. That has already been on my mind too, just difficult.

2008 XR Coupe
Twilight Blue
Wonderful Daily Driver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lmmoquin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-19-2018, 08:26 PM   #18
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmmoquin View Post
Unfortunately (for a few reasons), I live in the US.
Where would you rather be living? China? Count your lucky stars that you are living in the US compared to a multitude of alternatives. Ever wonder why Mexicans are still showing up in massive numbers to get into your country? Let's put it this way, Trump is not the president of Mexico.

2009 Saturn Astra XR3 5-Speed - 72,000KM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kikastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:26 AM   #19
lmmoquin

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikastra View Post
Where would you rather be living?
Didn't ask for your opinion, but thank you for shoehorning some kind of social justice into an automotive forum.

2008 XR Coupe
Twilight Blue
Wonderful Daily Driver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2018, 09:41 AM   #20
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Haven't made any headway in terms of getting the parts but I know we will require the subframe, engine with all the accesories (turbo, FMIC, ...), 6spd tranmission, ecu for it to work.

Average cost of a lower mileage vxr is 3000 Pounds which would be the easiest route since you would have a full parts car to work with plus you get vxr bumpers for your car, or just swap over the dash from our and done.
I have thought about a 2.0t swap as well before. I figured that mostly everything would match up correctly. My dad has also told me a while ago he could do a custom small turbo setup on the 1.8 to give it a little more pickup. He "guesstimated" around $3,000. Hes been working with cars all his life and has done a few of these projects before. ITs very tempting..

'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-Thule Roof Rack (and wind fairing)
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FreedomSoftware's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FreedomSoftware reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote