SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #1
langdon4204
langdon4204 is on a distinguished road

Default Resonator replacement

Hi, the resonator on my exhaust system has a hole in it so I need to replace it. I was wondering if anyone has done this on their Saturn Aura and could provide me with any tips of what to and what not to do during the replacement. Also could you tell me if anything needs to be welded when replacing it? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to langdon4204's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help langdon4204 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
langdon4204 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Resonator replacement

It may help to provide additional info like year, engine and anything else related to the exhaust system (details). Presuming the resonator is welded to pipes may present some problems about cutting and fitting a replacement with clamps or welding it back to original piping (also presuming piping isn't severely corroded. The simplest repair might be cut and splice a replacement using stainless (not the cheaper ones that will rust immediately) clamps. Welding is best but you must ensure a muffler shop can perform mig or tig welding to restore yours back to factory condition.

NYS for whatever reason follows California in regards to emissions. With two flex pipes eroded over the years, I passed one inspection with the first flex pipe cut off with a sawzall and new one simply clamped into place with muffler cement to help seal any exhaust leaks. This flex pipe was on one side of my V6. The second downstream flex pipe is before the third catcon and eroded. I used high temperature exhaust tape wrapped the entire length of the flex pipe and passed NYS inspection last week. My guess is as long as there are zero emissions issues, error codes related to the exhaust system, my repairs are acceptable. I also despise noisy exhaust systems. Both flex pipes eroded until exhaust leaked out along with noise. The wrapped flex pipe may be repaired again with a permanent solution but works for now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
explorerbigjon
explorerbigjon will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Resonator replacement

OEM replacement comes as one piece from the 3rd catalytic converter to the muffler, one huge piece. You can however have a muffler shop install via weld a universal resonator that fits in factory location, and it should not cost you too much.

If you are replacing the entire exhaust system from the primary catalytic converters back, it would be wise to have some PB Blaster penetrating oil on the 2 bolt flange before the 3rd Cat. Also have some long flat head screw drivers and decent length pry bars, along with some silicone spray for those exhaust hangers.

If you are just cutting out and replacing the resonator, figure out what diameter piping your exhaust is before and after the resonator, measure the length of the resonator itself. Get a universal resonator of equal measurements and clamps if you are not welding it together. But if you are able to weld it, then weld it together.

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5-Sport tuning T10 wheels-Dynomax bullet/Borla ProXS-eBay intake-Pioneer Premier 12 shallow mount/Kicker CXA600.1
Upgrades coming!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to explorerbigjon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help explorerbigjon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
explorerbigjon is offline   Reply With Quote