SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
iondrivingfoo
iondrivingfoo is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Steering wheel swap

Has anybody swapped out the steering wheel on an 04 QC2? Specifically, would a Cobalt or G5 fit? I know some parts are interchangable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to iondrivingfoo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help iondrivingfoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
iondrivingfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Steering wheel swap

why a cobalt wheel? why not a redline or 05+ ion steering wheel? if you don't have cruise, you can use ion wheels at the very least

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
iondrivingfoo

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Ultimately, I want to get away from the smaller Ion wheel so I just threw Cobalt and G5 out there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help iondrivingfoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

the non hockey puck ion wheels are bigger, and will definitely bolt up and match, you just might have to worry about cruise control compatibility if you have it.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
iondrivingfoo

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Hockey puck! lol

I don't have cruise (never did like it) so I'm good to go. Now I'm gonna go search if I can DIY without having to call 911 or a mechanic lol

PS I won't attempt anything without disconnecting the battery first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

all you need is the airbag disable procedures, if no one else posts it, I'll try to find it when I get home and post it. this is completely doable yourself, though.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

to disable the airbags on these cars is the easiest I've seen it, disconnect the negative battery cable, wait 5 minutes for the backup power supply to drain, then remove the airbag fuse.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Are the Cobalt and G% hydraulic or electric power steering? That would be the thing that may foul things up for you. The columns may be different enough for the steering wheels to not fit.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

they are EPS, but the ion ones match, a bowtie in a true saturn would be a disgrace.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
iondrivingfoo

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

*dumb question time*

By disconnecting the negative battery cable, I won't require a boost will I?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #11
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

no, you just reconnect it and start the car, it's the first step in any maintenance, whether it's electrical or not, lol, at least according to haynes

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
iondrivingfoo

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Thanks. So has anyone swapped their wheel/hockey puck? Is there a how-to anywhere out there?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #13
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I can post a step by step removal and installation a little later, but you want to buy it from somewhere you can return it to in case it does not work for whatever reason

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
CND_SC1
Advanced Member
CND_SC1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1

Thread revival ... sort of, now that there may be a few more years of collective wisdom & experience with this matter, and seeing as I might be in the market for a used Ion:

I am wondering if there would be any issues with switching one type of Ion steering wheel for another.

Specifically if one wanted to remove that humiliating wheel that looks like an upsidedown silhouette of Mickey Mouse' head (I suppose this is the one also referred to as the Hockey Puck wheel?) and replace it with a 4-spoke wheel from another Ion.

Could there be any possible issues with the AirBag connections (triggering a DTC) or some other issue with the part being VIN specific or whatever?

I suppose I'd also be interested in doing the same thing if I ever bought an early LS or Vue.

'94 navy blue SC1 from 04.2004 to 04.2011 which retired undefeated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CND_SC1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CND_SC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CND_SC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #15
MeanGreen
MeanGreen is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

I too would be interested in a step-by-step guide for the swap. My horn button has gone bad and no longer works, plus the Saturn logo in the middle of the wheel is bent and is splitting the cover around it. I'd like to upgrade to an 05+ wheel, from my research on the actual connectors for the cruise control features they appear to be the same part....but I have neither taken my wheel off nor purchased an 05+ wheel yet

2004 ION 2 Sedan
-Autozone short ram
-FE5 Suspension with Pedder springs
-4300k Hi-lo HID
-OPTX green underglow
-35% tint all around
-Kicker Audio all around

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MeanGreen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MeanGreen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MeanGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #16
bmxracerchamp12
bmxracerchamp12 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Sedan

got ya covered. http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/...ing-wheel.html

2004.5 2500HD LT
-Tow Pig

2005 Turbo Ion 3 Sedan
-Lots of mods (parting out)

2004 Honda CBR 1000RR
-Summer toy

1995 Honda CX
-DD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bmxracerchamp12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bmxracerchamp12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bmxracerchamp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #17
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

dead post revival again

i can confirm that 05+ steering wheels with cruise control will fit on 03-04.
Just swapped mine out recently and cruise control works.
Removing the airbag on the hockey puck wheel was a pain for me.

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe) {Wrecked}

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:49 PM   #18
Belac360
Belac360 is on a distinguished road

Thank you Kevin. Im defiantly going to be switching mine out. It's way to ugly and small. Not to mention that mine is having the clear coating on the outside start to come off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Belac360's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Belac360 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Belac360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:55 AM   #19
Eddie&Aria_S
Eddie&Aria_S is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Attention Re: Steering wheel swap

Hey guys! Sorry for waking a really old post! But I have always been a jdm guy and had a quick release steering wheel on all my previous cars! I'm looking to do this to my Aura XR but like every other mod I've done there's no info I can find or people still active to help 😔 I'm hoping this time is different. OK so is there a hub made for an aftermarket steering wheel? For a quick release Set Up? Or even just the hub at this point I'll settle for no quick release. Also the only things I wish to keep from the original is the shifting function(idc how) and the horn only. I don't have use for the rest of the functions and I'm more than sure I can reroute the options button to navigate the cluster options into the dash. As far as I know I have the most unique and modified aura still alive people not even most car guys can guess what make and modle it is. I even had a guy in an srt8 call me a liar for saying it was just a sock v6 with an intake thinking I had a v8 to keep up with him! Okay getting off track here 😂 point is if like to keep in and make it more of a sleeper that's just "rice" plus changing stock wheel to aftermarket would be around 10-15lb reduction! I'll take that 1-5hp just to make my car nicer IMHO. Well if anyone knows if it's possible please help and if there is any car that shares the same starting wheel Set Up as the xr 3.6 that actually has streering wheel swaps as a normal modification that's done often so I can just buy them and use them on mine with no problem because it fits exactly the same! Okay I babbled enough 😂 please help! Thank you all! :

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eddie&Aria_S's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eddie&Aria_S reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eddie&Aria_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:06 AM   #20
19boneatock88
19boneatock88 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Iím also curious, as Iíve thought about doing an aftermarket wheel in my ION, instead of doing a Redline steering wheel swap, I donít know if anybody makes an adapter that works... a guy on RLF said that none of the adapters actually work, but the one he sold did *go figure*...

Jerama- WV

2004 Saturn Ion-2 sedan
L61/F23(M86), 139k...
Too many mods to list in sig...

ďStockĒ is nowhere in my vocabulary...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 19boneatock88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 19boneatock88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
19boneatock88 is offline   Reply With Quote