SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2018, 12:30 PM   #1
yomama604
yomama604 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Sun Roof Alignment

Is there a reset option or a way to re-calibrate the sunroof on a 2004 ION 2 Quad Coupe?

Had some problems with the sun roof after clearing the drains. I left the sunroof open until about 10pm and I suspect some of the water in the rails froze as the temperature dropped.

When I tried closing the sunroof it made some unpleasant sounds and when it did start closing it closed unevenly. I have taken the glass off and it looks like the motor is working fine. Both sides move very easily but one side is about 3" further ahead than the other. As a result when I simulate closing the roof the passenger side reaches the front stop and the arm lowers while the driver side arm remains up.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by yomama604; 02-06-2018 at 12:39 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yomama604's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yomama604 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yomama604 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #2
yomama604

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Sun Roof Alignment

Here is a picture of what I mean. This is taken from the passenger side.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...We2TXKJIdE8Vc7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help yomama604 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-07-2018, 08:23 PM   #3
yomama604

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I took the headliner off. I now have access to the motor. I saw a video that suggested once you remove the motor that you can slide the roof rail closed.

I'm going to try it tomorrow, just wondering if anyone has tried that and if there are any gotchas taking the motor off.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Can you post pics here? Offsite hosts sometimes fail as have some past images. The best way to attach thumbnails here - most cellphone/digital cameras create multi megabyte file sizes, exceeding the 150kb size limit so using your favorite image program, resize to less than a megabyte and reformat in jpeg. I've done this many times with images higher than a megabyte but accepted here in jpeg format for good images that remain here permanently.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #5
yomama604

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I got the sunroof fixed. I can do a write up and post pics. Just not sure how to post the pictures. I used to use PhotoBucket but that is no longer an option.

What's the preferred method for attaching pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Can you post pics here? Offsite hosts sometimes fail as have some past images. The best way to attach thumbnails here - most cellphone/digital cameras create multi megabyte file sizes, exceeding the 150kb size limit so using your favorite image program, resize to less than a megabyte and reformat in jpeg. I've done this many times with images higher than a megabyte but accepted here in jpeg format for good images that remain here permanently.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #6
yomama604

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Ok. If your sunroof is mis-aligned (one side is further than the other), here is how to fix it. This is for a 2004 Ion Quad (suicide doors).

Tools you need:
- Deep socket or socket screw driver with 7mm socket for front pillars and 8MM socket for sunroof motor
- T25 torx bit for sunroof glass top
- flat head and Phillips screwdriver
- a plastic pry tool (not necessary but helpful)

Step1: Remove the glass pane with T25 torx bit. There are 3 screws on each side.
Step2: Drop the headliner. I was able to drop it but leave it in the car and still get the job done.
Things to note:
A) Front Pillars - held with 7MM screw and a metal pin. Remove screw with 7MM socket and then pull from the top to release tab. Just pull it away from the headliner, no need to remove it.
B) Rear door latch trim. Held by two tabs. Simply pull down.
C) Seat belt trim - leave it alone. No need to remove.
D) Rear window trim (both sides) - held with 7MM screw and a metal pin. Remove screw with 7MM socket and then pull from the front to release tab. Just pull it away from the headliner, no need to remove it.
E) Dome lights - Leave them alone. No need to remove. If you have to remove, it is much easier after you drop the headliner.
F) Upper brake light - held with 2 tabs (right and left). Simply pull down from each side.
G) Weather stripping - I did not remove the weather stripping. You need to be careful but you can lift it over the headliner by running your finger or a plastic pry tool along the edge.
H) Sun visors - Screws out
I) Rear clothes hooks (one on each side) - held in place by a plastic plug. Remove the plug and then pull the hook from the ceiling.

Once all of that is done, you need to pull the headliner from the velcro that is holding it to the ceiling. It's going to sound bad and some of the velcro will be ripped from the headliner. Leave the seats up so they can support the headliner.

3) Remove the Sunroof Motor ( I disconnected the battery to play it safe)
The motor is held in place by 3 8MM bolts. Make sure the headliner can support it's weight before you let it rest on it.

4) Once the motor is removed, the arms that the glass was attached to can be moved. Move them all the way to the back as far as they can go. They are now aligned. At his point you can try applying some grease or cleaning the track and or the pulley gears. My pulley wire and the motor gears were full of tiny plastic shavings. I was able to clean the motor but not the wire.

5) Reattach the motor. Reattach the battery and test the roof. Go back and forth a few times to ensure any grease you applied is distributed and to ensure the motor stops when it should.

6) Reattach the glass pane. Attach all 6 screws but don't tighten completely. You have to ensure the height of the glass is even with with your metal roof. Close the roof completely, check to make sure the glass isnt too low or too high. Helps to have someone holding the glass at the right height as you tighten the screws.

7) Reattach the headliner. It's not that bad. You might have to glue some of the velcro back before you re-attach. I used a hot glue gun.

Attached are some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg One side up.jpg (31.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Mounted motor.jpg (18.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Detached Motor.jpg (30.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Headcover2.jpg (57.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Pulley gears.jpg (32.0 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-09-2018, 02:48 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I use images from anywhere, copy them into Paint (Windows but any image software can be used), edit to resize/add notations and preview it before including it in posts. If previewed images show it to be too small, either I enlarge it or find another image so a full size screen appears. Old eyes (mine) need big pictures for details and clarity.

The pics don't show how sunroof motors drive the roof glass but your images seem to show the peculiar drive ring shaped like a sliced metal donut, wedges to allow meshing to the wire cables having a coarse wire spring to act as a gear?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:02 PM   #8
yomama604

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Here is a better picture (hopefully) of the motor gear and the pulley wires.
The motor gear is pretty standard looking as far as gears go. The pulley wires kind of looks like spiral pasta.

When you mount the motor, the gear fits between the two pulleys. All the black stuff on the teeth and between the spirals is plastic shavings from the guide rails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I use images from anywhere, copy them into Paint (Windows but any image software can be used), edit to resize/add notations and preview it before including it in posts. If previewed images show it to be too small, either I enlarge it or find another image so a full size screen appears. Old eyes (mine) need big pictures for details and clarity.

The pics don't show how sunroof motors drive the roof glass but your images seem to show the peculiar drive ring shaped like a sliced metal donut, wedges to allow meshing to the wire cables having a coarse wire spring to act as a gear?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1777(1).jpg (157.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1779(1).jpg (149.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 27724654-spiral-shaped-italian-pasta-close-up.jpg (101.3 KB, 2 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!