SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2018, 05:12 PM   #101
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: The last Saturn Astra owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post
A few people have complained that the manual transmission is a bit delicate but if you do a search here you can get a feel.

Things like the defective paint on bumpers/roof rack, faulty glove box will be the same on all Astras.

There is no Saturn dealer support. But some Chevy dealers can help. Parts are getting more difficult to find in junkyards and few new parts are no longer available anywhere. The Astra was developed GM's European division (Opel) which was sold to a French company last year; I don't think that will improve parts availability going forward...

To get an idea of some of the quality issues on my Astra, you can see my thread titled something like 45k miles and running like new...
The manual transmission is way better than the automatic but still far from good. My first manual transmission blew within 11k km due to having the wrong oil put in from the plant. My second one kamakazied itself into a million little pieces around 163k km, my third one has been amazing. The new one they put in feels a lot stronger then my old ones. I wouldn't suggest going to track to often with the stock transmission but they do old up very well to lots of abuse. My second transmission was taken to the drag strip and closed circuit racing.

Engine parts are easy to come across because they are shared with other chevys, body and specific parts are still available for now but usually easier to find overseas then in NA. I've found a few wrecking yards in UK that are very willing to ship almost anything over for us, I might try to get them to sign up on here so we can have an easier way of contacting them for bits and pieces.

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #102
AstraFasta
AstraFasta will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas_p View Post
The manual transmission is still far from good....they do old up very well to lots of abuse.
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas_p View Post
I've found a few wrecking yards in UK that are very willing to ship almost anything over for us, I might try to get them to sign up on here so we can have an easier way of contacting them for bits and pieces.
Please do! Or at least post a few of their names so we know some reliable sources to call on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:24 PM   #103
C152
C152 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Hello,

Love both my cars and plan on keeping them as long as possible. However, I am starting to get a little concerned about some parts availability and service. After all, it's not only an orphan, it is getting old, too. My dealer basically told me they're not too keen on working on Astras. Can you feel the love? We'll see.

Kind Regards,
C152
2008 Saturn 5dr XE (Opelized) Astra
2008 Saturn 3dr XR (to be Opelized) - OK, it's my daughter's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to C152's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help C152 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
C152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:38 AM   #104
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Checking in at 93k miles (150k km for our northern friends).

I'm still on original coil pack, cam solenoids, 5-speed trans, clutch, factory trans fluid fill, etc etc. I did have to replace A/C compressor at 50k miles though. I don't know how y'all are killing your Astras, but maybe I just got lucky with mine. I auto-cross regularly (it's sooo slow, even in H Street class), commute mostly in stop-and-go, cold start it about 4 times a day due to work. It has been reliable as gravity.

I do change the oil at very strict 5,000 mile intervals with Mobil1 full synthetic, and actually stick to that ridiculous spark plug schedule, so maybe that helps.

'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maschinenbauer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maschinenbauer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:36 AM   #105
747ken
747ken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by C152 View Post
Hello,

My dealer basically told me they're not too keen on working on Astras. Can you feel the love? We'll see.
Although my dealer has not told me, by their actions I believe they feel the same way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 747ken's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 747ken reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
747ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:38 AM   #106
747ken
747ken is on a distinguished road

I have to decide what to do with my Astra pretty soon.The registration is due this month and it needs a smog check. But the check engine light is on and must be cleared before a smog check can be performed. The CEL has been an on going problem for the past few years. Several visits to the dealership and about $1200 spent, still no cure for the CEL.

Recently I bought a Bluetooth code reader. It shows a handful of codes, including CAN codes (network codes). I suspect a problem with the computer network may be causing the codes. Perhaps generating false codes?

So I can bring it back to the dealer for more CEL repair work, and hope the light stays off long enough to get it smog tested and registered. Or just get rid of the car.

My Astra is in rough shape and will soon need tires, brakes, and struts. And the shifter cable is giving me problems - again. I think a donation to charity is likely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 747ken's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 747ken reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
747ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #107
todaresqSL2
todaresqSL2 is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
2008 Astra XR

My CEL is also a constant... but my mileage is also accelerated. I drive at least 1,000 miles a week.

Currently it is the right hub/speed sensor. Should have changed that the same time I changed out the left side about a month ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to todaresqSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help todaresqSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
todaresqSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #108
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by maschinenbauer View Post

I'm still on original coil pack, cam solenoids, 5-speed trans, clutch, factory trans fluid fill, etc etc. I did have to replace A/C compressor at 50k miles though. I don't know how y'all are killing your Astras, but maybe I just got lucky with mine. I auto-cross regularly (it's sooo slow, even in H Street class), commute mostly in stop-and-go, cold start it about 4 times a day due to work. It has been reliable as gravity.

I do change the oil at very strict 5,000 mile intervals with Mobil1 full synthetic, and actually stick to that ridiculous spark plug schedule, so maybe that helps.
Must be that Hoosier hospitality. I'm in the same boat as you - only 80k miles but the car has been rock solid, with the exception of the flex pipe that cost me about $60 total. I'm ready for a timing belt, but otherwise the car is basically as new and I've maintained it as directed. Hard to believe I've had this car for 9 years now! Too bad the value of these cars is what it is but the reasons are fairly obvious (death of the brand, no market penetration, no love for hatchbacks, etc). It still meets my needs and is a pleasant driver, so I'm in no hurry to replace it.

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:01 AM   #109
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Getting ready to turn 72K miles in mine. I have been pretty happy with this car. Even when things go wrong, I have a good shot at doing many of the repairs myself.

I have been pre-purchasing items at a price I can live with so I can replace things as they code out. In a glorified milk crate in the back, I have a new thermostat, gasket, and housing ($48), camshaft position sensor ($44), air conditioning compressor ($266), flex-pipe ($22) crankshaft position sensor ($61) next set of plugs ($4.60), oil filter ($5.00), and air filter ($13). I have an assortment of bolts that I know I cannot get anywhere else if I drop or lose them.

OK, so I'm anal. But the car is paid (bought in Jan 2015 for $7.4K) for and since I'm not encumbered with a car payment, I choose to have these items on hand. I am planning on a big brake job in the spring and looking at prices for rotors and pads in Germany and Britain, as well as the US. And no, I don't think I will drive around with these in the back.

I welcome any brake component suggestions from all those here. I prefer grippy and dusty, because I know it can save my life.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:35 PM   #110
mtbrdad
mtbrdad is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Wow Auotcrossing and not toasting the trans. that's impressive for this car! We toasted a manual last spring on this car and the first thing the owner of the trans place said was "someone's been driving this car very hard". The trans guy said these transmissions are pretty weak and not meant for racing at all. It was only 1 day of auto-crossing and my son was keeping up with newer Focuses so he was on it really really hard. Over last summer we found a used trans with only about 100 miles on it in an Indiana junkyard and my son swapped them out and now it runs fine. Except there's no traction control or ABS because we can't find anyone to reset the steering angle sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mtbrdad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mtbrdad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mtbrdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:49 AM   #111
maschinenbauer

2008 Astra XE

Autocross is not hard on cars if done right, even for our "weak" manual trans. You should only be shifting one or two times during an autocross run. Most courses are faster if you just stay in 2nd gear after the launch since you waste time shifting. I have only raced a few courses where I needed 3rd, and I've never raced a course where I thought a couple seconds in the power band of 1st gear would be faster than just lugging it in 2nd and keeping my momentum up.

You can drive a manual car hard without being too hard on the trans. Just be smooth on the clutch like you would normally. Dropping the clutch between shifts, slamming it down to first between turns, and over-revving during launches will kill any trans. Use the engine for acceleration, not the trans!

Tire wear, on the other hand, that's a different story!

'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup

Last edited by maschinenbauer; 02-22-2018 at 08:56 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help maschinenbauer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #112
mtbrdad
mtbrdad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Autocross is not hard on cars if done right, even for our "weak" manual trans. You should only be shifting one or two times during an autocross run. Most courses are faster if you just stay in 2nd gear after the launch since you waste time shifting. I have only raced a few courses where I needed 3rd, and I've never raced a course where I thought a couple seconds in the power band of 1st gear would be faster than just lugging it in 2nd and keeping my momentum up.

You can drive a manual car hard without being too hard on the trans. Just be smooth on the clutch like you would normally. Dropping the clutch between shifts, slamming it down to first between turns, and over-revving during launches will kill any trans. Use the engine for acceleration, not the trans!

Tire wear, on the other hand, that's a different story!
Absolutely! Yes that's what he told me that he was in 2nd gear 95% of the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mtbrdad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mtbrdad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mtbrdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:52 PM   #113
YULAstra
YULAstra is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

I am turning mine into a weekday track day car. Having friends involved in UK motorsports help. The issue isn't with the gearbox itself but rather the tiny diff... You need the diff and final drive or just the entire box from a Zafira which has a thicker diff and better strength

I guess you could get an oil cooler setup with a tilton pump, cooler and lines. Wouldn't be that hard to rig up

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to YULAstra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help YULAstra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
YULAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:00 PM   #114
Sky4Christ
Sky4Christ is on a distinguished road

Well I just got mine a few months ago and it only has 44K Miles, hope to have mine for years to come and maybe give it to my son some day (he is only 2 right now) I have a Saturn Sky as well that is my Garage queen so I hope in the future to have the 2 saturns one for dad (me) and one for boy. course it has to survive 14 years of daily driving (We shall see) which is what I'm doing with it now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky4Christ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky4Christ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #115
PaulR
PaulR is on a distinguished road

Quote:

You got lucky and I change my oil and filter at about 3,000 miles.

PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:07 PM   #116
PaulR

Quote:
Originally Posted by C152 View Post
Hello,

Love both my cars and plan on keeping them as long as possible. However, I am starting to get a little concerned about some parts availability and service. After all, it's not only an orphan, it is getting old, too. My dealer basically told me they're not too keen on working on Astras. Can you feel the love? We'll see.
I have the same concerns. Parts availability, especially for body and trim parts, are getting scarcer every year. And the ones that still are available, those prices have sky rocketed. When the guys repaired my clutch they lost one of the plastic lug bolt caps. Well they told me it fell off on the test drive anyways. Their cost is $17.01 US, a piece, and they have to buy five. But they are going on eBay to get one for nine bucks. Wow. I suppose a guy could see if one was in a parking lot or used car dealer that still had the caps on.

As for my local dealer they were not "into Astras" that much from the start. I assume that something "new" and perceived to be "too foreign" and a little bit "weird" got a good deal of skepticism from the car guys in my smaller and more conservative town. I actually had one of the parts counter personnel sneer at me when I ordered a part a few years back. Yup, the people at the dealership never really warmed up to the cars. Those same people are probably a lot happier now, since the defunct Saturn location now sells the GMC and Buick lines.

I too plan on keeping my Astras for the foreseeable future, but it is not going to be all that easy. I guess it is the price I pay for driving something that is unique and definitely oddball.

PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest

Last edited by PaulR; 03-20-2018 at 08:18 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PaulR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2018, 08:49 PM   #117
YULAstra

2009 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
I have the same concerns. Parts availability, especially for body and trim parts, are getting scarcer every year. And the ones that still are available, those prices have sky rocketed. When the guys repaired my clutch they lost one of the plastic lug bolt caps. Well they told me it fell off on the test drive anyways. Their cost is $17.01 US, a piece, and they have to buy five. But they are going on eBay to get one for nine bucks. Wow. I suppose a guy could see if one was in a parking lot or used car dealer that still had the caps on.

As for my local dealer they were not "into Astras" that much from the start. I assume that something "new" and perceived to be "too foreign" and a little bit "weird" got a good deal of skepticism from the car guys in my smaller and more conservative town. I actually had one of the parts counter personnel sneer at me when I ordered a part a few years back. Yup, the people at the dealership never really warmed up to the cars. Those same people are probably a lot happier now, since the defunct Saturn location now sells the GMC and Buick lines.

I too plan on keeping my Astras for the foreseeable future, but it is not going to be all that easy. I guess it is the price I pay for driving something that is unique and definitely oddball.

Everything can be sourced in Europe.. The question is how much will you pay on shipping for a bumper. The local U pull parts places around here have some Astras.. They are pretty much untouched. I am convinced most are there because the owners could not get something fixed due to lack of parts or prices of said parts..

I've already pinched both bumper covers and some exterior trim parts. The rest I can find in the UK..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help YULAstra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2018, 07:17 AM   #118
maschinenbauer

2008 Astra XE

Sounds like we as Astra owners may be reaching the point where we start buying "parts cars" to keep them going. Saab people have already been doing that.

'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2018, 09:40 PM   #119
YULAstra

2009 Astra XE

Quote:
Sounds like we as Astra owners may be reaching the point where we start buying "parts cars" to keep them going. Saab people have already been doing that.
Meh Saabs have always been **** to get parts for. Even when GM had a dealer network. You can easily find mechanical stuff but the problem are body, trim etc parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2018, 07:33 PM   #120
PaulR

Quote:
Originally Posted by YULAstra View Post
Everything can be sourced in Europe.. The question is how much will you pay on shipping for a bumper. The local U pull parts places around here have some Astras.. They are pretty much untouched. I am convinced most are there because the owners could not get something fixed due to lack of parts or prices of said parts..

I've already pinched both bumper covers and some exterior trim parts. The rest I can find in the UK..
There are a couple of Astras in my local U Pull Parts place but they are all banged to hell. Seems the yard monkeys on their equipment love to jam the huge forks into them while moving them around. Some people who visit the yard bust the windshields of cars. The Astras still have theirs intact...for now. Between that and "weekend mechanics" destroying five different parts to get to one piece, the junkyard prospecting for Astra parts is not that good. Maybe I will have to buy parts cars. Well... no, I live in the city and have no room to park or dismantle or to store parts for them and I am not 22 years old anymore.

PaulR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!