SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
maddyh123
maddyh123 is on a distinguished road

Default Life of saturn Ion 3

Does anyone know how many miles can a saturn Ion 3 can go. I have mine at 104569 miles on it. Will it last at least 45k more miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maddyh123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maddyh123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maddyh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Tubagod767
Tubagod767 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Life of saturn Ion 3

I have an '04 ion 2 and it's still going strong at 120,000+ miles. Transmission is still smooth, engine only ticks a little on startup (10-15 seconds at most). Other than that, it's been pretty good to me with only the typical ion problems. Ignition switch, links, bushings, ect. The biggest problem that sends ions to the grave would be the ones with VTi transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tubagod767's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tubagod767 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tubagod767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyh123 View Post
Does anyone know how many miles can a saturn Ion 3 can go. I have mine at 104569 miles on it. Will it last at least 45k more miles.
yuppers.

+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
cavalier
cavalier is on a distinguished road

It really boils down to two things:

1. What kind of driving you do and

2. How well you take care of/maintain it.

You have the EcoTech 2.2 4 cyclinder in your Ion, same as my 2000 LS1.

I've got 208,000 miles on it and it still has the power and runs like the day I drove it new off the lot.

Keep in mind I pamper my care, applying the old adage "take care of it and it will take care of you."

Make sure you're following all your maintenance schedules as recommended by Saturn and change your oil every 3,000 miles (screw the new studies that say you can go longer....me thinks they were funded by the auto industry that doesn't like that people are keeping their cars longer and longer and therefore not buying new ones more frequently).

City driving (otherwise known as stop and go) will always be tougher on a car and shorten its lifespan compared to freeway cruising.

If you drive like a maniac (flooring the pedal off the lights, etc.) that will also cut down on the longevity of your car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cavalier's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cavalier reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
maddyh123

I really appreciate your views guys.
Thanks a lot.

I have maintained the Ion pretty good and its still in decent shape. I change oil at 4000 miles. I just worry about the Tire Rim which has been forming a lot of rust on it. I am afraid that would break it down.

other than that everything is in perfect shape.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help maddyh123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:42 AM   #6
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

If the studies were funded by big oil, then I guess they got to the aviation industry, too. Or, just maybe, those studies that also lead to aviation using SOAP to determine oil longevity, also made it to auto manufacturers, and they, too, used SOAP to reach these new oil life numbers. But everything has to be an oil company our government conspiracy. Also, how does using less oil benefit oil companies? And of you don't know what SOAP is, you speak ignorance, so do some research.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
amok
amok is on a distinguished road

Nice little rant, but he said the "auto industry"... not the oil company or government.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amok's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amok reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

Here's a guy that got 365K out of his Ion:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ht=deliveryman

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Basic point of the rant (IMO) is that Cavalier doesn't want to follow the vehicle's suggested Oil Change Interval because of a conspiracy... not fact.

For all the money being spent on extra oil changes... A few samples could be sent in to confirm or deny the folly of a 3/3000 change schedule.

If the vehicle engine is properly maintained you should find the Oil will meet, if not exceed, the Oil Life Monitor's (or manual's suggested) change interval.

If it can't meet the OLM's interval then instead of wasting money on an Oil Change spend it on fixing the problem.

Excessive Fuel,Water,Anti-freeze,Insolubles, Wear Metals,etc. means there is a problem. The problem will continue if the oil is changed every 3,000 or 10,000 miles. SOAP can tell you if you should increase or decrease the interval and also possible causes and fixes for the issue.

For example excess Fuel and Water in the Oil... might be too much short Stop and Go driving. More/Longer Highway driving might fix that.

High Insolubles could mean the Filter needs to be changed earlier (or it wasn't changed last time). (A rather easy and cheap option on the ION/L-Series)

Knowledge is power as the saying goes... it helps push aside the Conspiracy Theories.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #10
maddyh123

Mikec

365K is incredible. I wish mine goes atleast half of it.
Thanks for sharing your views and experiences.

I love my ION3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #11
BrianION3
BrianION3 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

My 2006 ION 3 just rolled 135K miles and it will probably go another 135K miles. I have been pretty diligent at keeping the oil changed, and the car maintained.

I just put front rotors, front brake pads, and tires on. The rear brakes looked great so I left them alone.

I have an automatic transmission, and it hasn't given me a lick of trouble. My engine is the 2.2 model. I have not changed the sparkplugs yet...it's on the list.

My gas mileage is about 27 MPG average, down from almost 29...but I am doing a little more city driving now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BrianION3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BrianION3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BrianION3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #12
chilipepper1327
chilipepper1327 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyh123 View Post
In some ways this is subjective. ie, if the tranny goes at 150 and the car is 7 years old, the cost prohibitive to replace? For some no, for some yeah, espescially the VTi!

any way, my 2 sense(intended) worth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #13
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

at over 100k, you should change the tranny fluid to synthetic dex vi, if you haven't already.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:09 PM   #14
TimSL2000
TimSL2000 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2003 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default Re: Life of saturn Ion 1 2003

I'm at 215,000 and still going. What is the ceiling on these?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TimSL2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TimSL2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TimSL2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:26 AM   #15
NoDisassemble#5
NoDisassemble#5 is a glorious beacon of lightNoDisassemble#5 is a glorious beacon of lightNoDisassemble#5 is a glorious beacon of lightNoDisassemble#5 is a glorious beacon of lightNoDisassemble#5 is a glorious beacon of light

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubagod767 View Post
I have an '04 ion 2 and it's still going strong at 120,000+ miles. Transmission is still smooth, engine only ticks a little on startup (10-15 seconds at most). Other than that, it's been pretty good to me with only the typical ion problems. Ignition switch, links, bushings, ect. The biggest problem that sends ions to the grave would be the ones with VTi transmission.
Completely agreed. I know I'm not the only one that was put in that terrible sitch. One thing you can do for periodic maintenance is jack your car up from the front, set on stands and take a look at where the cv axles meet the transmission. If they don't sit flush they will leak tranny fluid. A leak is what sent my VTi to the grave, and that's where it came from.
The fluid is red, keep a close eye for it because without that fluid, severe damage to your transmission will occur.
Depending on driving conditions your fuel line will rust out, a new one will run around $130.
Keep an eye on fluids and turn the music down occasionally to listen to your car.
Good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NoDisassemble#5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NoDisassemble#5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NoDisassemble#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:41 AM   #16
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enoughddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan

I got 220,000 on mine but unfortunately it has oil sludge in it because prior owner did not maintain it. However my car runs strong! I keep her maintained.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddemier7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddemier7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote