SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2017, 01:00 PM   #1
Pesty3782
Pesty3782 is on a distinguished road

Default help on front brakes

I bought a 2005 Ion 3 5spd....I have changed the fuel filter, oil, oil filter, cabin filter, spark plugs, and now transmission fluid...When I took off the drivers side front wheel the caliper has grooves and the pads look shot. I went to 1aauto and saw numerous front brake sets.....Is there anybody who can steer me in the right directions for front brakes and rotors? What else should I do while changing these out?

Thanks

Tony P.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pesty3782's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pesty3782 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pesty3782 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2017, 03:12 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: help on front brakes

For every day driving, plain brake pads and rotors. If never done, replacing brake fluid is recommended for the brake system. You can tell how old brake fluid is. If its dark brown or black its old. Fresh DOT-3 brake fluid is light honey colored. When disc brake pads are replaced, the pistons are always pressed back into home position. This forces brake fluid back into brake lines and return to the brake master cylinder. Brake fluid absorbs moisture all the time - the cap is vented - brake fluid level drops when calipers fill up from pad wear (pistons extend). If you are familiar with brake fluid replacement, this is a good time to flush the system and replace old fluid. All four wheels. If not familiar, pay a brake shop to do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:25 PM   #3
Pesty3782

Thanks for the info. I was going to change the fluid also. This is a great sight and I have learned a lot about my Ion

Tony P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Pesty3782 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-03-2018, 01:20 AM   #4
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enoughddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan

Clean your Throttle Body. Its pretty simple to do with some carb/throttle cleaner. Just take it off and spray clean it. Research how to clean it esp if you high miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddemier7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddemier7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #5
Pesty3782

Did that last weekend...Easy job

Tony P.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2018, 12:28 AM   #6
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enoughddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan

Did you notice it run any better? How did the brakes turn out?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddemier7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddemier7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:59 AM   #7
Pesty3782

The brakes from 1AAuto work great and I bought the car with 121K on it. First tank was 23.5 after fluid change fuel injector cleaner and throttle body cleaned the last tank was 26.5...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!