SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2017, 03:32 PM   #1
waiter21
waiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default GM Ignition Recall - Tech Impressed...

We finally took our Vue in for the GM Ignition key recall (they keep sending those darn cards in the mail)..

The Tech that did the inspection was curious as to why the VIN said the car was a VTI tranny, but it was a stick shift. He was impressed with the conversion. He also noted the VIN number in the ECM module didn't match the VIN. I explained the ECM between VTI and manual were not interchangeable, so the ECM came out of the donor car.

He also noted the steering column didn't lock when the key was removed. I told him there was nothing wrong with the column, I modified it and removed the locking paw so it cannot be l9ocked. I tow the Vue behind our motorhome, and don't like leaving the key in the ignition just to unlock the column.

All in all, a waste of time, but I got a free carwash out of it..

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2017, 05:26 PM   #2
SylenThunder
SylenThunder is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: GM Ignition Recall - Tech Impressed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
We finally took our Vue in for the GM Ignition key recall (they keep sending those darn cards in the mail)..

The Tech that did the inspection was curious as to why the VIN said the car was a VTI tranny, but it was a stick shift. He was impressed with the conversion. He also noted the VIN number in the ECM module didn't match the VIN. I explained the ECM between VTI and manual were not interchangeable, so the ECM came out of the donor car.

He also noted the steering column didn't lock when the key was removed. I told him there was nothing wrong with the column, I modified it and removed the locking paw so it cannot be l9ocked. I tow the Vue behind our motorhome, and don't like leaving the key in the ignition just to unlock the column.

All in all, a waste of time, but I got a free carwash out of it..
Yeah, they keep sending me the mail, and I keep not finding time to waste a couple hours at the local stealership for it.

Removing the locking pin for the steering column sounds like a neat mod though. When the column on mine locks, it is sometimes almost impossible to get unlocked.

2004 FWD, Vti, 2.2L
Custom CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SylenThunder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SylenThunder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SylenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
Cavell
Cavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 3.5L
2003 VUE 3.0L

refresh my memory. do you get a new lock cylinder and keys with this fix? my kid says her key almost falls out on its own and i am wondering what exactly is done? the issue is car may shutoff during driving due to lock cylinder issue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
Beasleylou
Beasleylou is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

Which years are covered under this recall?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Beasleylou's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Beasleylou reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Beasleylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:39 PM   #5
waiter21
waiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 2.2L

Yes, this is the recall where the keys fall out. I think if the cylinder is bad, they put in a new cylinder.. My keys have a slot where the key ring goes, They wanted to glue a insert in the slot, I asked them not to... Evidently with the slot, when someone has a bazillion keys on their ring, this aggravates the problem, so they do away with the slot and make it just a round hole for the key ring.

Mine was OK, so no action was required.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:36 PM   #6
unpolire
unpolire is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: GM Ignition Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasleylou View Post
Which years are covered under this recall?
I just got the 2003 Vue 3.0 AWD a few months ago and received a Recall postcard for "14506 Ignition Key Removal" in yesterday's mail. Taking it in tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unpolire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unpolire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unpolire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:49 PM   #7
waiter21

2003 VUE 2.2L

See if they will wash the car.. :-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2017, 07:30 PM   #8
Beasleylou
Beasleylou is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: GM Ignition Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpolire View Post
I just got the 2003 Vue 3.0 AWD a few months ago and received a Recall postcard for "14506 Ignition Key Removal" in yesterday's mail. Taking it in tomorrow.
Ok thanks. Nhtsa states that recall 14506 is for 02-04.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Beasleylou's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Beasleylou reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Beasleylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:46 PM   #9
unpolire
unpolire is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
See if they will wash the car.. :-)
Took it in this morning. Took just under 2 hours, but I had OEM Saturn head keys and the new lock cylinder came with GM generic branded keys! I'm going to call GM Customer Relations. Since I have several GMC, Chevrolet, and Cadillac vehicles, having the key heads marked is VERY helpful when you have at least one duplicate key for every vehicle.

They did not wash it, probably because I took it in clean. My teen daughter is the primary driver and ever since her best friend totaled her Golf about 300 feet from her driveway because of glare and a dirty windshield, I keep the Vue's huge glass area clean every time I walk by.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unpolire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unpolire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unpolire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:43 PM   #10
zonarosso
zonarosso is on a distinguished road

I had my 06' Vue's lock cylinder replaced a year ago and now it's doing it again. Dealer says I'm out of luck as the recall only covered one replacement. Anyone else gone through this yet? I'm tempted to just put a whole new AC Delco switch in it and see if that lasts longer. I'll just have to live with a different key for the ignition. Anyone replaced the switch? Dealer says 2.5 hours flat rate. about $500 for labor+parts. Figured I'd get rid of the lock pin while I'm in there. Thoughts??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zonarosso's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zonarosso reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zonarosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #11
waiter21

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Anyone replaced the switch? Dealer says 2.5 hours flat rate. about $500 for labor+parts. Figured I'd get rid of the lock pin while I'm in there. Thoughts??
You can buy a new cylinder with keys for about $35, Amazon, ebay, etc.

If you plan on removing the lock paw, I would recommend finding a lock assembly at a junk yard, and experiment with it.

Here are two links you may be interested in:

1) Bypassing the Passlock system. I'm not sure if GM used the Passlock system in 2006, but its easy to check, If you have the connector, you have the Passlock system.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215634

2) disabling the steering lock. Rather than remove the paw, consider drilling a small hole through the paw and insert a pin. I mention this and also show where to drill the hole.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216089

Last edited by waiter21; 12-09-2017 at 09:27 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #12
atikovi
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpolire View Post
Took just under 2 hours, but I had OEM Saturn head keys and the new lock cylinder came with GM generic branded keys!
So did the new keys match the old ones? If not, did they also replace the door and hatch locks?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #13
blaster88
blaster88 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

I just had an 04 done on recall, the keys match the old ones - they look up the number from Saturn - WHICH TAKES A WHILE!

But the old keys were loosey goosey.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blaster88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blaster88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blaster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:26 AM   #14
atikovi
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

OK good to know. I have flip key/remote combos and don't want to have to get new keyblades.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:11 PM   #15
mariopalumbo
mariopalumbo is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

I waited forever to go in for the recall. I could easily pull the key out of the ignition while driving but it didn't bother me. I kind of liked pulling out the key while wearing shorts so the keychain wouldn't tickle my knee while driving. I finally went last year after getting tired of the cards in the mail. It was a great experience, I booked an appointment at 7:30 am. An old GM retiree drove me to work and picked me up from work. His was polite and on time. They washed and vacuumed my car. Two new GM keys ( I was disappointed, I liked the Saturn keys) but they worked for all the door locks. It was a very pleasant experience. I would recommend booking an appointment and not waiting around for two hours.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mariopalumbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mariopalumbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mariopalumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:52 PM   #16
RGRG68
RGRG68 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariopalumbo View Post
I waited forever to go in for the recall. I could easily pull the key out of the ignition while driving but it didn't bother me. I kind of liked pulling out the key while wearing shorts so the keychain wouldn't tickle my knee while driving. I finally went last year after getting tired of the cards in the mail. It was a great experience, I booked an appointment at 7:30 am. An old GM retiree drove me to work and picked me up from work. His was polite and on time. They washed and vacuumed my car. Two new GM keys ( I was disappointed, I liked the Saturn keys) but they worked for all the door locks. It was a very pleasant experience. I would recommend booking an appointment and not waiting around for two hours.
I have an 04 saturn The key comes right out of with the engine on.. I figured it was just something Saturnesq.. There's a recall? I never got anything in the mail.. Purchased mine last spring from a dealership.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RGRG68's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RGRG68 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RGRG68 is offline   Reply With Quote