SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2016, 12:12 PM   #41
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Flex pipe

I believe it is just a clamp on the other end of the section

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #42
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR

Finally getting around to this job but I've hit a major roadblock. The flex pipe and the muffler section are basically corroded together.

Anyone out there had this challenge and got past this? I even heated the outer pipe up cheery red with my bolt blaster and still didn't budge. I see there are pipe separator tools but I'm wondering if they will work in a situation like this.

I could cut off the old flex pipe of then chisel out whats remaining in the muffler section but that still seems pretty labour intensive.

2009 Saturn Astra XR, 95,000km
2008 Saturn Outlook XR, 260,000km

Past vehicles: 2000 Oldsmobile Alero, 220,000km - SOLD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn4Ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn4Ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:56 AM   #43
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Just hit with this problem this weekend - fired it up after a highway run and it sounded quite a bit more flatulent. Picked one up on ebay for about 15 bucks and I'm not even going to try it myself. It's been on for 9 years and chances are it's not coming off easily.

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:34 PM   #44
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

When I had this happened I also picked up a cheap one from Ebay or amazon, for 15 or 20, although shipping to Canada made it more like 50 and paid a local shop to do it for 90. For all the aggravation that this job would give, I figured the $90 was well worth it. I saved a lot of curse words I'm sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kikastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:31 AM   #45
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Yeah... this one likely isn't worth tackling yourself. My local shop charged me a bit over $100 including the parts to fix this and had it done in a couple hours on a Saturday afternoon.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:54 PM   #46
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Job done this afternoon. Part was about $15 on ebay and local shop welded it in for $55. Thanks to those who provided links.

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:26 AM   #47
velocast
velocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura about

Happy Flex Pipe: Bear River Converters

My Flex Pipe was long overdue (leaking / noisier) until the check engine light came on solid. My code reader throw me Code P0068. I did check my air intake: It looks very clean. What happen was the computer was trying to compensate the exhaust emission by putting pressure on the air intake sensors.

Flex Pipe and Gasket Replacements:

1) Flex Pipe: Bear River Converters
Part Number: 20008DN
Size: 2 x 8
2) Gasket: GM 55557507

The good thing on this Flex: It is build of T304 Stainless Steel double braid, and T409 Stainless Steel end cap extensions. T304 does not rust, and T409 is good for high temperatures. The GM gasket has two Stainless Steel plates. Both are good quality. I believe!

I took to my local shop and they quoted me $400 to install. When I heard that kind of price, it tells me they do not know what they are doing! God Save! I do not want my Astra to be a Guinea Pig. So, I called my dealership where they did the Takata recall they recommended me an exhaust shop for custom vehicles. I paid $80 it took them 15-20 minutes to get done. That easy and professionally!

In my way coming back I looked over and over for the check engine light to come back: Nowhere to be found. It is well gone!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velocast's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velocast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velocast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #48
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Flex Pipe: Bear River Converters

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocast View Post

My Flex Pipe was long overdue (leaking / noisier) until the check engine light came on solid. My code reader throw me Code P0068. I did check my air intake: It looks very clean. What happen was the computer was trying to compensate the exhaust emission by putting pressure on the air intake sensors.

Flex Pipe and Gasket Replacements:

1) Flex Pipe: Bear River Converters
Part Number: 20008DN
Size: 2 x 8
2) Gasket: GM 55557507

The good thing on this Flex: It is build of T304 Stainless Steel double braid, and T409 Stainless Steel end cap extensions. T304 does not rust, and T409 is good for high temperatures. The GM gasket has two Stainless Steel plates. Both are good quality. I believe!

I took to my local shop and they quoted me $400 to install. When I heard that kind of price, it tells me they do not know what they are doing! God Save! I do not want my Astra to be a Guinea Pig. So, I called my dealership where they did the Takata recall they recommended me an exhaust shop for custom vehicles. I paid $80 it took them 15-20 minutes to get done. That easy and professionally!

In my way coming back I looked over and over for the check engine light to come back: Nowhere to be found. It is well gone!
hmm.. I have been getting p0068 for a while. MY code reader always said it was intake/MAF. My exhaust has been noisy as hell (rattling). I thought it was a a heat shield but I never thought it exhaust rattle that could be throwing the code.

edit: this is what my code reader has been giving me. http://www.dtcsearch.com/P0068/?from=Torque

'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-Thule Roof Rack (and wind fairing)
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FreedomSoftware's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FreedomSoftware reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:46 PM   #49
velocast
velocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura about

It is not well gone, it is well alive: After 200 miles the Code P0068 did come back stronger than ever. I will check my entire intake components this weekend.
I did start and waiting engine to warm up. Suddenly check engine light came. Outside temperature is 50 F. I keep updated on thread Code P0068.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velocast's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velocast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velocast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #50
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocast View Post

It is not well gone, it is well alive: After 200 miles the Code P0068 did come back stronger than ever. I will check my entire intake components this weekend.
I did start and waiting engine to warm up. Suddenly check engine light came. Outside temperature is 50 F. I keep updated on thread Code P0068.
Try cleaning your throttle body first. You don't even have to take it off. Remove the air intake to the TB, and gently open the butterfly valve*. With a clean rag and throttle body cleaner, wipe out as much gunk as you can. This worked for me and others for this code. Hopefully it works for you, because its very easy to do.

*People say you aren't supposed to do this, but if you are very gentle with it, it seems to be fine. But do it at your own risk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kikastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:49 AM   #51
FieroAlex
FieroAlex is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Looks like it's that time again. 3rd time since we purchased the car 8 years ago but this time I think the resonator is also leaking. I really find it annoying that there isn't any jobber support for this car and GM OEM parts are the only option. I mean patching it works but I hate knowing that the exhaust is just a collection of patches. I wish there was an euro source for jobber replacement parts that would ship to us. I've found the parts at more than resonable pricing but no one ships here.

I think this will be out last patching job for the Astra before we unfortunately move on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FieroAlex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FieroAlex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FieroAlex is offline   Reply With Quote