SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #1
Sh1tb0xHero
Sh1tb0xHero is on a distinguished road

1999 SW1
Default Saturn SL1 exhaust upgrade suggestions

Could anyone tell me a good setup for an exhaust on a 1999 SL1. I'm looking to get one installed but I do not like the ricey or farty engine sound. Perhaps something that makes it sound deeper whilst still giving it a bit more horsepower.

People I've asked have told me to straight pipe it but after seeing videos of that setup, it still sounds ricey on the high RPM's.

Any Suggestions are accepted, Thank you.

1999 Saturn Sw1 2" lifted 140,000 miles - Driven Daily
2003 Saturn L200 120,000 miles - Given to my mother

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sh1tb0xHero's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sh1tb0xHero reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sh1tb0xHero is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1
Default Re: Saturn SL1 exhaust upgrade suggestions

These engines aren't big enough to worry about significant gains with the exhaust. When going up in size, A general change most people notice is that they loose low end torque but gain some power up in the RPMs. The low end makes it easier to get places without having to stuff your foot in the gas to get more torque This is something you may want to consider before doing so. The SOHC has its strength that its got good accelation at lower end up to maybe about 40-50 mph.

I think for the SOHC, I was considering a 2 inch exhaust with cat and maybe a resonator depending on the circumstances. As for a muffler...

https://youtu.be/MWsJPM9srDU
This one is with the Borla Pro XS muffler. This engine that the corolla has is a 1.8 i believe, so its close enough is displacement to our engines and should sound somewhat similar.

https://youtu.be/v5xwafX8ZXE
And this is a guy with 2 inch exhaust on his civic. Doesnt sound too bad.

I am temped to decat mine because of the cool popping noises i get and the "pbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrtttttt" sound it makes when you let off the gas at speeds above 40 mph (engine braking ill assume because thats what it feels like)

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(This car is cursed)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-170k currently (jun 2017)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

The only power "upgrade" you can do to a SOHC that even beings to make any kind of sense is a DOHC swap. Guaranteed 39hp increase for '91-'94 SOHC's and 24hp for '95-'02 SOHC's and depending on your luck can be had for well under $600.

The "best" premade exhaust for the S-Series is the Thermal R&D cat-back but last I knew it was around $500. There are probably other rip-off eBay ones based on it for cheaper now.
If you have a welder I'd suggest going to town with 2" pipe, the longest resonator you can find that still fits (36-40") and whatever brand muffler you think sounds best (I happen to like Thrush Turbo mufflers). If it were a DOHC or you plan on swapping it then I'd probably go with 2.25" pipe instead of 2".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #4
Nekomimi
Nekomimi is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

The OBX Catback is nice, 2" mandrel bent, you're going to lose some city mpgs. you still get a little bit of the "Engine break pop" without totally killing your back pressure (sl1's need some to actually get moving iirc).
From what I've read it's a clone of the thermal and you can score the OBX on sale occasionally on eBay. Painting it would be a good idea too since the 405 stainless rusts, I kept my exhaust tip bare since it's easy to maintain.

Highway acceleration is improved dramatically, it no longer feels like putting a watermelon through a funnel.

Unless you like tinkering allot or are in love with your SL1, it would probably be simpler to just aquire a DOHC base model and go from there.

'96 SL1 Originally the family car, passed on to me as my first. "Hellcat" 226,000+ miles and purring smooth.My Mug is filled with the lost souls of imports.
I Want SAAB Soccerballs. But they're 4x115

Last edited by Nekomimi; 11-13-2017 at 09:22 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nekomimi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nekomimi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nekomimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #5
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

I had a 2 inch cat back with no resonator and a baffled sport muffler on a
98 SL1. Sounded 'sporty' without being too loud, with the pops and burbling on de accel, even with the oem cat still in place.

My 96 SL2 and 98 SL1 have joined together to become one. So I guess I now have a 1996/8
SL1-2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLfun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLfun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:44 PM   #6
Simon Rose
Simon Rose is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

I felt compelled to do an entire exhaust system overall on my Saturn, knowing full and well the performance gains wouldn't be appreciable in any manner. Did some ebay stainless header/down-pipe, after market "racing" cat (2.0 inch) and then oem size piping back to this. (www . amazon. com/Mugen-Style-Twin-Loop-Muffler/dp/B007O0WPL6)

It was a chore to get that big muffler in where the stock on was but once everything was hung it sits really nice and sounds good. Its really quiet at highway speeds but still makes dropping it in to 3rd on the highway a good time. I would highly suggest it as it does not have any "ricer" sound to it. Again if you are expecting any performance gains, there where none that I noticed. Fun project though!

2002 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Simon Rose's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Simon Rose reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Simon Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:35 PM   #7
Sh1tb0xHero
Sh1tb0xHero is on a distinguished road

1999 SW1

Hey thank you for all the input!

Yes I know they only hp increase is an engine swap. I would do this but I don't have the time to spend swapping it. I work on a ship and contracts are lengthy. If I ever do get time I would rather replace it with an engine and transmission from another vehicle, possibly a Subaru.

For now I'm just gonna do minor upgrades to her.

1999 Saturn Sw1 2" lifted 140,000 miles - Driven Daily
2003 Saturn L200 120,000 miles - Given to my mother

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sh1tb0xHero's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sh1tb0xHero reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sh1tb0xHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:56 AM   #8
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

The easiest start to modifications would be the stock DOHC resonator assembly and a catalytic converter delete, IF you live in a state that doesn't have emissions testing. The cat con robs considerable amounts of power on either engine(robs 9hp on the DOHC).

If you would like a throaty sound, during periods of acceleration, I have a video of the intake system I fabricated from used Saturn/GM parts at local yards.

K&N makes the cheapest intake kit, I have priced for my DOHC(your 1999 Intake/MPFI SOHC should be similar and able to use DOHC intake upgrades). It was around $180, the last time I looked at one on their website, and the intake kit only added 2-3hp on the DOHC. So, you may only see 1-2hp on the SOHC with an intake, BUT you will get some throatiness during harder acceleration.

My fabricated setup cost me, around $70(including sales taxes here in Ohio).

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 142k - Iron Duke w/auto
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 184k - DOHC w/auto 1qt/100mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:39 AM   #9
Doowg
Doowg is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

I have a 99 sl1 with a 3 inch "cold air" intake and a 3 inch pipe from the cat back to a magnaflow muffler and a 4 inch tip. For a sohc 4 banger it sounds pretty mean.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doowg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doowg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Doowg is offline   Reply With Quote