SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #21
Terra Nova
Terra Nova is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Synthetic Oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeman View Post
To each their own but I couldn't justify a $60 royal purple or redline oil change for an Astra. You guys must be made of cash

In my area pennzoil, mobil 1 and castrol synthetic are reasonably priced but RP and redline are $12.99+ a liter!
I'm in your area as well....and with my preferred discount, I get the Amsoil Group 4 100% synthetic 5W30 for $8.40 a liter.

- 2008 Silver Astra 3dr ' XR ' 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Terra Nova's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Terra Nova reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #22
brags
Advanced Member
brags will become famous soon enoughbrags will become famous soon enough

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeman View Post
To each their own but I couldn't justify a $60 royal purple or redline oil change for an Astra. You guys must be made of cash

In my area pennzoil, mobil 1 and castrol synthetic are reasonably priced but RP and redline are $12.99+ a liter!
Your shopping at the wrong place Let me guess CT.?

its cheaper here https://sites.google.com/a/performan...yal-purple-oil

" Any man that doesen"t share his knowledge in cars is wrong to do !"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brags's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brags reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #23
Burgandy25
Burgandy25 has a spectacular aura aboutBurgandy25 has a spectacular aura aboutBurgandy25 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
How many miles do you typically go between oil changes when using Amsoil for your cars ?
The top of the line Amsoil say they don't need changing for 25,000 miles. Take it for whats its worth, I would never wait that long, I do wait a little longer than you should though, depending on cars, the Astra is about 6-8K before we do it or at least once a winter, once a summer, and in between if there are lots of miles. Our Dodge Journey says to do it every 3k no way, we do it ever 8K as well even thought the stupid change oil light comes on every 3K. For my Motorcycle I do it before winter storage, after winter storage and at least twice during the summer, which is about 2-3k a summer on the bike.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Burgandy25's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Burgandy25 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Burgandy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #24
Terra Nova

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgandy25 View Post
The top of the line Amsoil say they don't need changing for 25,000 miles. Take it for whats its worth, I would never wait that long, I do wait a little longer than you should though, depending on cars, the Astra is about 6-8K before we do it or at least once a winter, once a summer, and in between if there are lots of miles. Our Dodge Journey says to do it every 3k no way, we do it ever 8K as well even thought the stupid change oil light comes on every 3K. For my Motorcycle I do it before winter storage, after winter storage and at least twice during the summer, which is about 2-3k a summer on the bike.
I'm with you.....I'd never go more than 9,000 miles myself.

I opt for a good GRP IV oil like Amsoil simply because it's a better oil - i.e robust additives, better cold & hot condition specs, etc.- so while it may be a fact that it allows for much longer oil change intervals, it's not really a relevant fact for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Terra Nova reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-25-2013, 02:09 AM   #25
Burgandy25
Burgandy25 has a spectacular aura aboutBurgandy25 has a spectacular aura aboutBurgandy25 has a spectacular aura about

Its strange that the Astras oil life computer says 11,000 miles when you reset the oil life. I just reset ours this weekend for the first time and it says 11,000 or 10,000 I cant remember, thats awfully long for an oil change in such a small engine at that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Burgandy25's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Burgandy25 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Burgandy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:48 AM   #26
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Cars are much easier on oil than they used to be, engines wear slower, and oils are better than they used to be. No reason you can't go 11,000 miles on one oil change.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vanilla sky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #27
Terra Nova

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla sky View Post
Cars are much easier on oil than they used to be, engines wear slower, and oils are better than they used to be. No reason you can't go 11,000 miles on one oil change.
It's interesting...my shop's been in business for over 25 years, and they've noticed a marked increase in engine oil consumption and premature timing chain wear / failures among customers who have followed the Oil Life Monitors when doing oil changes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #28
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i used to be a big believer in gm oil life monitor when it came out in the 90s but with todays more complicated engines its caused alot of problems. most monitors have been reset by gm to only go to 7500 miles then flash oil change. they have had so much trouble all gm cars 2011 and newer are required to use semi synthetic or no warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #29
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

People also treat timing chains like they aren't wear items (they are).

Fact is that these cars aren't built well enough to outlast their engines. They'll die of gross neglect or crashes before they get tossed away because their engines simply wore out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vanilla sky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #30
jackrcurtis
jackrcurtis is on a distinguished road

I changed the oil on my 100,000 mile '99 SL2 last week, topping off my last 2 quarts of Pennzoil natural w 2 quarts of NAPA, w turned out to be a synthetic made by Valvoline. When I got back from my 2nd 100mile high-speed road trip since the oil-change the car was huffing & puffing & blowing steam like on old-fashioned IronHorse, so I'm wondering if synthetic & natural don't mix(the car was running perfectly b4(except for the transmission)). Perhaps the synthetic loosened up alot of sludge w is now clogging the filter causing overheating by diminishing oil-flow? Can I change the filter w/o changing the oil (i.e.how much will run out when I remove the filter)?

TIA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jackrcurtis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jackrcurtis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jackrcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:01 PM   #31
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Tried reading labeling on oil containers? If I'm not mistaken synthetic and regular oil are compatible and can be mixed without issues. It's more likely coincidence when the engine decided to act differently. There's no harm in replacing the oil filter and you'll lose only the amount in the filter, less than a pint. Something else is going on with your engine. You might as well post a new thread about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:07 PM   #32
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

I ran my car on synth and conventional for a bit, and i have no noticeable engine problems

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(CURSED)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-194k currently (Nov 2018)
Dodging potholes should be a sport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:20 PM   #33
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrcurtis View Post
I changed the oil on my 100,000 mile '99 SL2 last week, topping off my last 2 quarts of Pennzoil natural w 2 quarts of NAPA, w turned out to be a synthetic made by Valvoline. When I got back from my 2nd 100mile high-speed road trip since the oil-change the car was huffing & puffing & blowing steam like on old-fashioned IronHorse, so I'm wondering if synthetic & natural don't mix(the car was running perfectly b4(except for the transmission)). Perhaps the synthetic loosened up alot of sludge w is now clogging the filter causing overheating by diminishing oil-flow? Can I change the filter w/o changing the oil (i.e.how much will run out when I remove the filter)?

TIA
I would suggest posting in the SL2 forums, us Astra folks don't have very much in common with your model. You may get some better answers over there, probably also more people looking the posts.

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:03 PM   #34
jackrcurtis
jackrcurtis is on a distinguished road

Happy Re: Synthetic Oil?

I'm old-fashioned like brigs but I changed the oil on my 100,000 mile '99 SL2 last week, topping off my last 2 quarts of Pennzoil natural w 2 quarts of NAPA, w turned out to be a synthetic made by Valvoline. When I got back from my 2nd 100mile high-speed road trip since the oil-change the car was huffing & puffing & blowing steam like on old-fashioned IronHorse, so I'm wondering if synthetic & natural don't mix(the car has always run perfectly b4(except for the transmission)). Perhaps the synthetic loosened up alot of sludge w is now clogging the filter causing overheating by diminishing oil-flow? Can I change the filter w/o changing the oil (i.e.how much will run out when I remove the filter)?

TIA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jackrcurtis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jackrcurtis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jackrcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:59 PM   #35
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR

I've been running with plain old Motomaster 5W-30 motor oil in both of my vehicles....only $15 (on sale) for 5L and I change the oil when the OLM recommends. Seems to work well for me.

2009 Saturn Astra XR, 95,000km
2008 Saturn Outlook XR, 260,000km

Past vehicles: 2000 Oldsmobile Alero, 220,000km - SOLD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn4Ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn4Ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:06 AM   #36
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn4Ever View Post
I've been running with plain old Motomaster 5W-30 motor oil in both of my vehicles....only $15 (on sale) for 5L and I change the oil when the OLM recommends. Seems to work well for me.
Of course it works well for you. Because its certified oil. There's no reason why any certified oil shouldn't work well for anyone under normal circumstances. The whole oil debate is a huge fandangle. I admit, I use synthetic oil, but I only buy it on sale. I figure why not spend a few extra dollars, for supposed extra protection, for a bit of peace of mind. But really, if you do your regular oil changes, it doesn't matter what oil you use so long as it meets the standards. Anyone who thinks otherwise that isn't doing some sort of hard racing, is delusional.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kikastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:49 PM   #37
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

As I have said elsewhere, I prefer Valvoline products. I am sure Pennzoil, Mobil1 and others make equivalent or better products at this price-point or for more, but I have the example Valvoline has shown on sponsorship of friends who race and have nothing but good things to say about their representatives and company bigwigs upon meeting them at events all around the country.

I have found one can get synthetic oil for the same or even better price if you keep your eyes open. In the internet age, that means using the search tools on Amazon, Jet.com, or the "Honey" app out there always looking for you so you can find the best price. For this and other products, you have to be open to a myriad of notifications as the results come in. One way I used to deal with this is to have this type of function limited to just one of my computers that was on all of the time, but the email part of the notification process got too much. Nowadays, I have a junk email account associated with that activity, as well as it happening on a different browser (ie. Opera, Mozilla, etc.) to limit my interaction until I want to shop.

Attached is a recent result on Jet.com (owned by Walmart). Also please find what I think is the best short video explanation of why synthetic oil is better under all circumstances.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYkg0oDUXs8
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2017-12-14 at 7.50.55 AM.png (61.8 KB, 9 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote