SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #1
cjhsa
cjhsa is a jewel in the roughcjhsa is a jewel in the roughcjhsa is a jewel in the rough

2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Vents Not Adjusting According to Setting

The ONLY way I can get any warmth on my feet is to set it to just feet, or feet/defrost. Both of these settings cause the compressor to engage which lowers my gas mileage.

There is ZERO flow to the feet on any other setting. Help.

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cjhsa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cjhsa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cjhsa is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Vents Not Adjusting According to Setting

Is there a recalibration procedure to reset HVAC controls?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:36 PM   #3
cjhsa
cjhsa is a jewel in the roughcjhsa is a jewel in the roughcjhsa is a jewel in the rough

2007 VUE 3.5L

I have no idea - I defer to you as the expert!

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cjhsa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2017, 08:36 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Try searching threads within these forums to see if your Vue has a calibration procedure for HVAC controls. Does changing modes allow front vents without ac? Anytime defrost is used, ac is turned on - this helps with defogging faster than if heat were used alone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2017, 10:16 AM   #5
cjhsa

2007 VUE 3.5L

Yes front vents without A/C but nothing in the footwells. The only way to to get any flow to the footwells is by setting it to "Feet" only, or feet/defrost mixed. If you sent it to "feet/front" you will only get front.

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #6
cjhsa

2007 VUE 3.5L

I have been unable to find any "relearn" procedure other than "press AC and Recirc simultaneously three times quickly with key in ON position". I know there is a passcode relearn as well.

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-08-2017, 07:24 AM   #7
cjhsa

2007 VUE 3.5L

OK, well, I tried that, and it actually does do a "relearn". I'm not sure it fixed my problem permanently, as I still had to fiddle with the controls after doing the procedure twice, in order to get it "working". But that's a start, will see if it stays "working". Here's what I did:

Turn blower control to off.
Vent selector can be in any position, I chose "feet/front" blend.
Turn key to On, do not start.
Press and release both AC and RECIRC three times.
Lights will blink on both of them for about 15 seconds,
You will hear the various vents being "tested"
Lights will go out on the buttons.
Turn car off, start, and test.

As noted, I had to do this twice. Even after the second try, there was still very little heat in the footwells. I turned the knob to "feet only" and of course that worked, then backed off one click to "feet/front" blend, and it stayed MOSTLY ON THE FEET. SUCCESS!!

Hope it stays this way. Still seems crazy to me to have a manual "relearn" procedure on the HVAC. You'd think it would do it after a battery disconnect, or just every so often automatically.

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #8
cjhsa

2007 VUE 3.5L

And, I'm not sure this is even the right procedure. Some have stated this is the procedure to reset the outside temp gauge. All I know is that when I did it, the blower came on even though the selector was in the off position, and you could hear the various vents being tested.

Another poster said the procedure is to disconnect the battery for 30-seconds, then reconnect, start the vehicle, and don't touch the HVAC controls for two minutes or more.

I really have no idea. I hope what I did works and helps others.

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #9
cjhsa

2007 VUE 3.5L

This did not work

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2017, 04:38 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

So you performed a recalibration but the same problem remains with ac running in certain modes? Search the forums for someone suggesting moving the mode selector just after clicking on place - this may cutoff ac operation when all you want is heat. Defrost is the only mode that justifies ac use to accelerate dehumidifying air before the windshield fogs. All other positions are for 'climate control' operation to use ac or not. If you cannot keep ac off, the last resort is to disconnect the electrical connector to the compressor for the winter months or pull the AC fuse. This keeps ac from powering up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2017, 07:01 AM   #11
cjhsa

2007 VUE 3.5L

See the attached pic.

The only way I can get any heat on my feet is to set it in the Feet (or between that and full Defrost). The Front/Feet blends put nothing in the footwells; all heat is right in your face. When set on Feet (only) it also runs the compressor, can feel and hear it cycling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saturn-dash.jpg (18.5 KB, 3 views)

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you set the mode selector between feet and floor settings, ac may turn on because you're asking for defrost. As mentioned previously, defrost turns on ac to help dehumidify/reduce moisture condensation that can create instant fogging. If feet venting doesn't work, either a damaged actuator or something is blocking the actuator from allowing air flow to the floor. Did you examine the floor vents? Is there a cabin air filter that hasn't been replaced?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #13
cjhsa

2007 VUE 3.5L

Not sure what you mean by "between feet and floor". There is no difference. The footwell vents are on each side of the transmission. They work - but only if you set it to "Feet", or between "Feet" and "Defrost" as shown in the pic.

If you set it to any of the "mix" settings clockwise of pure "Feet", then you'll get nothing from the footwell vents. This used to work.

I wouldn't mind just setting it to "Feet", but the problem is that in that position, the compressor also runs.

Not sure how else to describe this, though I do have one more bit of info. The system is ridiculously slow to respond to changes in the selection. If I change it from "Feet" to one click counterclockwise, it takes about a minute, then you hear the baffles move and all the air starts coming out of the dash (front) vents.

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2017, 11:58 AM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The mode dial has detents, one for each symbol. When adjusting the dial, selecting a mode usually gives a tactile feedback felt as a click or the dial moving into the detent for the chosen mode. When you deliberately move away from detents, you're using the mode dial to 'tune' in a different setting. When in-between modes, this can create your situation where you don't want ac yet the mode circuitry isn't as precise as you'd like it to be. Either set the mode to the exact setting as designed or accept the unusual mode of having heat and ac at the same time with the temperature controlling how much heat and ac is desired. Whether or not your control panel is worn/faulty or an actuator that moves an inside door panel to adjust where airflow is directed is still unclear.

The option of having it your way or having GM fix this problem is your choice. I merely add another suggestion to disable ac use in cold weather so you can have full temperature control without ac running.

I have a similar issue that I learned to accept. My automatic climate control system turns on ac if I allow it (only when outside temps are above 40F) In summer when I want windows open and leave the blower running, temp set to the lowes/60F, I have to press the ac button to turn it off. Annoying but I don't mind the blower running in low speed even with windows and sunroof open. In cold weather I manually turn off ac again so I can adjust heater use otherwise ac runs to mix cold air with any heat I choose. All this is GM's idea to allow drivers to simply have ac running while we enjoy relatively humid free air inside our cars yet still allow adjusting for any amount of heat with dry air. GM also took into account for many that do not want ac running so a button was placed on control panels. Mine is labeled as ECON(omy) - manually shutting off ac so I can simply have fresh air ventilation with dropping fuel mileage. GM's default is turn on ac above 40F and leave to drivers to manually turn it off when not needed. Auto climate control for lazy people to simply dial in the temperature they choose or as I choose, to manually turn off ac and dial in temperatures as I feel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2017, 06:32 PM   #15
homerec130
homerec130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Just a stab, not sure if this is related to your issue or not as I got a little lost in the prior posts.

On my wife's 06 Vue (3.5) we had problems with the air flow not going to the correct place and also on one side vs the other. The replaced the actuator and back in 2010 it ran about $65 plus labor. (BTW I just pulled the maint doc on the service visit - my memory isn't that good).

Just a thought.

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray
06 Vue 3.5L, FWD, Storm Grey (Wife's Ride)

08 Vue 3.6L, FWD, Sunburst Orange - RIP 6T70

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homerec130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homerec130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:25 AM   #16
cjhsa

2007 VUE 3.5L

Thanks homer I was wondering about that myself. I'm going to live with it until it completely fails.

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!