SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2017, 10:34 PM   #1
ratwhisperer
ratwhisperer will become famous soon enough

1997 SL1
1994 SL2
Default 2nd Gear 'Sneeze'

Hi all! I haven't been on here in forever because I just literally haven't had any problems; although I miss chatting with y'all and reading about what everyone is up to and I have a bunch of pictures to upload for the spot and shot thread; so I should be logging in more often.

So some may recall we picked up a 1997 SL1, base model, Manual Trans in trade for website work; so essentially for free. This car has been amazing!! We have had no issues really at all. This car is fantastic. We've been using it as a daily driver for work and we just turned over 265,000 miles and still running strong. Been doing regular maintenance and I have replaced the brake pads and the rear drums; and really that's... it.

I do have one issue though that I cannot figure out. Sometimes; and when I say sometimes, I mean like this has happened maybe three times ever, but it's all been in the last month since it started raining and getting colder... when I shift into 2nd gear and accelerate quickly I hear a noise which I can only describe sounds like someone blowing their nose or sneezing. I am sorry that is vague and silly... but that is all I can think of. It's not a grind, it's not a vibration, it's not a rattle. It is a sneeze.

There is no change in driveability or performance; it shifts just fine into all gears, clutch seems to work great.

What on earth could this be?!

Past:
1995 SW2 - Cynthia - sold 246K
2000 SW2 - Ruby - sold 165k
2004 Vue - Jade - traded in
1996 SL2 - Ursula - sold 223K

Current:
1994 SL2 - Nelly Belle - 139K?
1997 SL1 - Cinnamon - 265K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ratwhisperer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ratwhisperer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ratwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: 2nd Gear 'Sneeze'

So, this noise, it's while accelerating and not the shifting movement, correct?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:34 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Car developing allergies?

Is this noise from inside the car or definitely from under the hood? Any way to record it? One member didn't understand this when its obvious handholding a phone while driving or holding other devices is not going to record noise under the hood. Placing a phone or other recorder inside the engine bay enclosed in a sandwich bag and taping this package down or tie wrapping it in place securely will allow recording video and sound. I think phones allow sound recording without video.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:06 PM   #4
Claybury
Claybury will become famous soon enough

Check the exhaust hangers, mounts, and muffler strap. The muffler can vibrate against the frame under engine torque movement making interesting sounds that get amplified by the trunk floor.

2002 SC2 1.9L
2007 Vue 3.5L
1985 Fiero SE 3.1L
1974 Triumph Spitfire 3.1L V6
2002 Ram duelly diesel 5.9L
1975 Honda PA50 0.05L (Swarm and destroy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Claybury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Claybury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Claybury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:56 AM   #5
ratwhisperer

1997 SL1
1994 SL2

I am certainly willing to try to record it. It is definitely from underneath the car; and yes it's when I'm accelerating, not when shifting, it just seems to happen when I accelerate after shifting into 2nd gear. So yeah I was thinking some sort of exhaust piece... Okay I can see what I can do. I may have to do something weird like drive it slowly up the street and have my husband chase me with a phone, LMAO.

Past:

Current:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ratwhisperer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2017, 01:32 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Or have him riding shotgun, holding the door open while holding the phone as close to under the car as possible. One problem (of many?) may be wind noise as you accelerate and not taken into consideration. The same for taping the phone someplace in the engine bay so wind noise doesn't mask what you hear and gets recorded. Some imagination is needed for safe testing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:44 AM   #7
ratwhisperer

1997 SL1
1994 SL2

Yes we could try this! Or maybe we could get a selfie stick and attach the phone to it and he can hold it out the window under the car. I think this is going to be a grand experiment! May have a friend film the ordeal from the sidewalk!

Past:

Current:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Before doing all kinds of high risk to life, limb, and phone pressure test the cold exhaust.

Exhaust leak check.
--Locate a low pressure high volume air source, reversible vacuum cleaner, large fan, leaf blower or what ever you can find.
--Loosely couple to cold exhaust at the tail pipe, or direct fan at tail pipe.
--Spray every inch of the exhaust between the head and CAT outlet flange with a mixture of 2 or 3 drops of dish soap and water in a spray bottle.
--Pay close attention to the lower flange, lower support clamp, and flex connector.
--The flex connector is under the protective braid so it requires quite a bit of solution to show any leaks.

Your explanation sounds suspiciously like a cracked expansion bellows in the exhaust. The leak check will find it and you do not have to be going 25mph with the door open.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
ratwhisperer

1997 SL1
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Before doing all kinds of high risk to life, limb, and phone pressure test the cold exhaust.

Exhaust leak check.
--Locate a low pressure high volume air source, reversible vacuum cleaner, large fan, leaf blower or what ever you can find.
--Loosely couple to cold exhaust at the tail pipe, or direct fan at tail pipe.
--Spray every inch of the exhaust between the head and CAT outlet flange with a mixture of 2 or 3 drops of dish soap and water in a spray bottle.
--Pay close attention to the lower flange, lower support clamp, and flex connector.
--The flex connector is under the protective braid so it requires quite a bit of solution to show any leaks.

Your explanation sounds suspiciously like a cracked expansion bellows in the exhaust. The leak check will find it and you do not have to be going 25mph with the door open.
THANK YOU! I will definitely do this and let you know what I find out.

Past:

Current:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2017, 01:44 AM   #10
ratwhisperer

1997 SL1
1994 SL2

So I haven't had a chance to check this out personally yet; as my work schedule has been ridiculous and my husband has had the saturn a lot and I've had the van... but anyhoo; I have been searching youtube to find anyone who has a similar noise and I've at least determined it probably isn't the transmission or anything in the engine, but it doesn't sound like a lot of the exhaust noises I've found either; so I will be looking underneath myself.

It definitely is underneath and only when accelerating... :/ I will get back to you asap.

Past:

Current:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!