SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #1
cuetip
cuetip has a spectacular aura aboutcuetip has a spectacular aura about

1997 SW1
Default Drum to Disc Parts

Hi all, I'm thinking about converting my drums to discs but am having a lot of problems sourcing the dust shields and parking brake cables. Yes, I know I don't need the dust shields, but I want them. I also want OEM parking brake cables because the aftermarket ones are junk.

I'd like parts that are as rust free as possible. Can anyone help?

Also is there another make and model's rear disc hardware that is compatible with my car ('97 SW1)?

Thanks in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cuetip's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cuetip reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cuetip is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2017, 10:57 PM   #2
Simon Rose
Simon Rose is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default Re: Drum to Disc Parts

For how dependable and maintenance free the stock rear drums are I can not see why you would want to replace them haha I think you are best off getting some high quality pads and new rotors up front and going over the rear assembly and checking the pistons and shoes. Its likely the last time you will ever maintain your rear brakes. Just my .02! I understand the need to do mods for fun so best of luck if you still go this route!

2002 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Simon Rose's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Simon Rose reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Simon Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:38 PM   #3
cuetip

1997 SW1

Yeah, drum brakes are great... Except when they're not. I've had nothing but problems with mine. I blame the extremely poor quality of aftermarket parts. Cheap Chinese trash. 10 new warped drums later and I'm done spending money on a system I can't buy reliable parts for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cuetip reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2017, 11:41 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

good drums are made by Centric.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:46 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

The easy to get stuff (walk into parts store, ask for '94 SC2 parts and if they ask if it has the performance package go find another store that isn't administered by morons):
Rear calipers ('91-'97 DOHC w/ABS)
Rear caliper bracket bolts ('91-'97 DOHC w/ABS)
Rear caliper slider pins ('91-'97 DOHC w/ABS)
Rear caliper pads ('91-'97 DOHC w/ABS)
Rear rotors ('91-'97 DOHC w/ABS)

The not so easy:
Parking brake cables (have fun with this one, length is model dependent and drum cables don't fit calipers)

I'd source the hardware from the nearest junkyard and bug the nearby granite shed guys to sandblast 'em.

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/ to find the part numbers, then hope eBay or partsvoice.com can source them if you have to have OEM (seems silly, OEM price's will put the cost of the swap well over the cost of buying a parts car with the parts...lol).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:02 AM   #6
cuetip

1997 SW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
The easy to get stuff (walk into parts store, ask for '94 SC2 parts and if they ask if it has the performance package go find another store that isn't administered by morons):
Rear calipers ('91-'97 DOHC w/ABS)
Rear caliper bracket bolts ('91-'97 DOHC w/ABS)
Rear caliper slider pins ('91-'97 DOHC w/ABS)
Rear caliper pads ('91-'97 DOHC w/ABS)
Rear rotors ('91-'97 DOHC w/ABS)

The not so easy:
Parking brake cables (have fun with this one, length is model dependent and drum cables don't fit calipers)

I'd source the hardware from the nearest junkyard and bug the nearby granite shed guys to sandblast 'em.

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/ to find the part numbers, then hope eBay or partsvoice.com can source them if you have to have OEM (seems silly, OEM price's will put the cost of the swap well over the cost of buying a parts car with the parts...lol).
Thanks for the detailed response . No junk yards in WA seem to have any Saturns with rear disc brakes currently. I use the site you linked all the time. I found the part numbers for the brake cables and dust shields, but unfortunately neither eBay nor Amazon has them . I wonder if anyone on here has these parts. I'd be happy to buy them!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2017, 02:48 AM   #7
mattwithcats
mattwithcats will become famous soon enoughmattwithcats will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

For brake cables look on Rock Auto dot com, for 97-98, same model, AC Delo parts.

For brake rotors, and pads, or shoes and drums, look at EBC brakes...
Go to the second half of the catalog, and buy the kit, both items.

I paid $75 for my other car for a stage 1 kit, coated rotors, and pads, Ultimax Black. Parts bought individually would have been $125...

https://ebcbrakes.com/Assets/ecatalo...dex.html#p=590

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 78,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:34 AM   #8
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

May be send a message to the poster of this very recent post and have him hook up up.

What did you find at the Salvage Yard Today?: Post 1

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
Nekomimi
Nekomimi is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
May be send a message to the poster of this very recent post and have him hook up up.

What did you find at the Salvage Yard Today?: Post 1
But I'm gonna use those I'll keep an eye out for them though ^^

'96 SL1 Originally the family car, passed on to me as my first. "Hellcat" 226,000+ miles and purring smooth.My Mug is filled with the lost souls of imports.
I Want SAAB Soccerballs. But they're 4x115

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nekomimi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nekomimi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nekomimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #10
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

In 250,000 miles I've had to work on my rear drum brakes twice. Maybe convert the front to drums?

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:14 PM   #11
cuetip

1997 SW1

Appreciate it Neckomimi .

Just out of curiosity, what's the part circled in red in the pic below, and do I need it? I noticed that all the Saturns with rear disc brakes have it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #12
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

I believe that is not a brake related part but rather part of the suspension and is present in both drum and rotor brakes.

Part # 7 below (21011206, BRACKET. Stabilizer Shaft) in the rear suspension diagram; this is the opposite side from the photo

I believe there is a different hub for disc brakes.

Here is the diagram for the rear disc brakes ....

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 11-10-2017 at 02:39 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:35 PM   #13
Nekomimi
Nekomimi is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

Yeah that's the bracket for the rear swaybar on the Sx2's

'96 SL1 Originally the family car, passed on to me as my first. "Hellcat" 226,000+ miles and purring smooth.My Mug is filled with the lost souls of imports.
I Want SAAB Soccerballs. But they're 4x115

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nekomimi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nekomimi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nekomimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #14
cuetip

1997 SW1

I just checked and mine doesn't have it. What's its function?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #15
cuetip

1997 SW1

I just read up on what the rear stabilizer does. Now my question is why does my model not have it while others do? Would installing it mess anything up? Based on what I read installing it should help reduce body roll. Seems like a worthwhile upgrade. Thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2017, 12:06 AM   #16
T. Thudpucker
T. Thudpucker is on a distinguished road

Not meaning to hijack your thread, but I have an SL2 with rear discs if you want to compare notes on how it goes together. The parts are not for sale, but I am in western WA.

PM me!

#1 1999 SL2, RIP
#2 1999 SL2, Operational
#3 1999 SL2 HCE, Operational
#4 2001 SL1, Operational
#5 2001 SL2 10th Anniversary, stored *NEXT*
#6 1997 SL2, Operational
1979 Dodge Adventurer 200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to T. Thudpucker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help T. Thudpucker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
T. Thudpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:39 AM   #17
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

The rear stabilizer helps make the car fun to drive. Hence why the DOHC"s got it and the SOHC's didn't. There's a bracket that needs to be welded onto the rear subframe (or the subframe swapped which involves removing a brake line and bleeding the brakes), after that it's a fairly simple swap though like dropping the gas tank you need to get the back end a fair way off the ground, 20+ inch's.

Rear disc only came with models with ABS.
Of those with ABS, only '91-'98 DOHC's were guaranteed to have rear disc (possibly only SC/SC2/SL2). '91-'96 SOHC's could go either way, but the disc option was dropped in '97.

After '98 rear disc was no longer an option even on the DOHC's, and for good reason (the caliper design is 110% JUNK).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2017, 03:10 AM   #18
cuetip

1997 SW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
After '98 rear disc was no longer an option even on the DOHC's, and for good reason (the caliper design is 110% JUNK).
Why is it junk? The entire drum brake system on my car seems like junk. It doesn't seem to fit together like it should and pedal feel is different every time I drive the car because of it. The cheap Chinese **** aftermarket parts just don't fit together properly, and that's all that is available.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #19
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Either you're not putting the drums on/together right, or you're not buying the right parts. The S-Series braking system is highly sensitive to properly adjusting the rear shoes, which is made more interesting because even the OEM backing plates have the adjuster access holes reversed.

The rear brakes don't get enough use to move the calipers enough to keep the slider pins free on their own (meaning you have to tear it apart and re-grease it at least yearly), the parking brake mechanism either freeze's up or strips out requiring a new caliper (and they cost more before core charges than my Silverado's dual-piston calipers WITH core charges) and/or the piston itself seize's up.
I've had a few S-Series with factory rear disk, converted at least 1 to rear disc (don't bother with the scammers at RockAuto for parts for the swap...) and a few other GM vehicles of the same era with the same style caliper...100% JUNK the lot of 'em.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #20
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Swapping from drum to disk will cost you up front more than a proper rear brake system rebuild with quality parts and insure you have a reoccurring expensive rear brake maintenance curse.

Local parts store drums are usually JUNK. Rock Auto sells CENTRIC 12262030 and they cost $18 and change each. The critical parts are the shoes and the drum all the remainder are generic and any Wagner/Bendix hardware kits will work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote