SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
DJboozeAlot
Advanced Member
DJboozeAlot is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
Default engine cradle (subframe) interchangeability?

i have a 2001 sc2 with a bent engine cradle (subframe). i need to know what other years/models are an exact fit before going to the junkyard. i checked the swap guide, and someone said "i think" the radiator support changed in 93 or 94, but was hoping for something more definitive so i don't waste time and money. i would have posted in the swap guide but didn't want to clutter it up.

thanks

See the video of my CHOP TOP SATURN SC2, the "ghetto convertible" here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izGCaDvKPIo

www.detroitghetto.com
www.everylol.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DJboozeAlot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DJboozeAlot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DJboozeAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
hoseppi
Advanced Member
hoseppi will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: engine cradle (subframe) interchangeability?

95 and up will work. SC and SL models use the same subframe. Get a newer one so rust won't be an issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoseppi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoseppi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

I believe 93-02 to be exact...

But yeah, Go for a 3rd gen for sure, if you can find one.. (00-02 ish) just to get the newest frame possible of course.

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
DJboozeAlot
Advanced Member
DJboozeAlot is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoseppi View Post
95 and up will work. SC and SL models use the same subframe. Get a newer one so rust won't be an issue.
thanks, i thought sc and sl would be the same. don't have to worry too much about rust here in florida. tomorrow is going to suck pulling this at the junkyard with no air tools

See the video of my CHOP TOP SATURN SC2, the "ghetto convertible" here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izGCaDvKPIo

www.detroitghetto.com
www.everylol.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DJboozeAlot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DJboozeAlot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DJboozeAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
doublemm
doublemm is on a distinguished road

I would not worry about how old of one you get as long as it is in good shape with no, or minimal rust.

I would spend my time cleaning it & putting a coat of POR 15 on it, or better yet, getting it powder coated esp if you plan to keep it for the long run.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to doublemm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help doublemm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
doublemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:53 AM   #6
76oldsguy
76oldsguy is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Pulling the cradle will be easy. Just brace the engine with a driveshaft you will find in the bed of any truck there. Glad to see someone close to where I live.

98 sl2 DOHC Auto 147,000 miles.
76 Olds 442 Auto78,000 miles.
95 sw2 DOHC Auto 200,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 76oldsguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 76oldsguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
76oldsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:10 AM   #7
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76oldsguy View Post
Pulling the cradle will be easy. Just brace the engine with a driveshaft you will find in the bed of any truck there. Glad to see someone close to where I live.
Or just look for a car with the engine/tranny already removed. Then pulling the cradle will only take minutes.

And it'll be a 1994-2002. Dont get a 1991-1993. The radiator side mounts are at a diffferent height. And it can come from a sedan, coupe and wagon.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:23 AM   #8
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Oh, and unless the donor parts look really bad, leave the sway bar and control arms on the donor cradle, and swap the whole assembly in. WAY less work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
1ofAKindSC2
1ofAKindSC2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
And it'll be a 1994-2002. Dont get a 1991-1993. The radiator side mounts are at a diffferent height. And it can come from a sedan, coupe and wagon.
Sorry to bring this old thread back, but figured instead of making a new one I would just post in this one.

Long story short, I'm restoring my once magazine featured coupe from the ground up. Went to a salvage yard to pick up a super clean 92-93 engine cradle for my car which I had planned on swapping with my rusted, dented, ripped up one.

I should've taken a closer look at mine under the car, cause when I got home and compared I noticed they're slightly different.

I got it for a good price, it's clean as all hell and the guy at the salvage yard claimed it was off a 92, In fact just called him and he again insisted it was off a '92, it obviously isn't. So, I'd like to get this one to work/fit, and find out EVERYTHING I would to change to make it work, if it's even worth the hassle/cost. Finding a 92-93 cradle, in this pristine condition isn't going to happen. He said he would take it back if it won't work.

Salvage yard cradle (97-02?)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1ofAKindSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1ofAKindSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1ofAKindSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:29 AM   #10
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

That's a 94+ for sure, the bent rounded squished cross piece is the giveaway.

IIRC all you need is a matching radiator. Maybe the yard would give you one; I got a new one off ebay $30 plus $30 shipping.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
1ofAKindSC2
1ofAKindSC2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, yeah lowsaturn already confirmed for me the same info, A/C would've been an issue, but since I haven't had it in the car since 1997 it's a non issue. Plus I need a 92-92 driver side dogbone bracket which I'm sure I can easily find.

I want the whole thing powdercoated and ready to swap out with everything attached, control arms, swaybar..etc.

I saw a bunch of rad's on ebay, how's the cheapo radiator holding up for you?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1ofAKindSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1ofAKindSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1ofAKindSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #12
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

cheapo rad went in a car I flipped so no idea there.

the folding of the plastic end tanks around the aluminum core looked top notch though.

am sure its the same chinese factory that spits out spectras for autozone etc.

my only complaint was the little clip-nuts for mounting the condensor or whatever were loose in the box and I assumed they were missing so I pried the old ones off my old rad, LOL.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #13
Tommie
Advanced Member
Tommie is a jewel in the roughTommie is a jewel in the roughTommie is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL1
2002 SL1

I wish i had that subframe!!!!!!!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tommie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tommie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:52 PM   #14
Jef1qr
Jef1qr is on a distinguished road

Will an engine cradle on a 1992 SL2 DOHC wIth AUTO trans ,

Fit on a 1993 SL2 DOHC with MANUAL trans ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jef1qr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jef1qr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jef1qr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #15
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef1qr View Post
Will an engine cradle on a 1992 SL2 DOHC wIth AUTO trans ,

Fit on a 1993 SL2 DOHC with MANUAL trans ?
Yes, 92 is same as 93, trans does not matter. The cradle is designed to accept either a SOHC or DOHC engine, and either an auto or manual trans. Makes line assembly a lot less complicated.

From the "swap" sticky post, at the top of this forum

Quote:
1994 and up engine cradles all swap interchangeably.
Sedan, wagon, coupe, SOHC, DOHC, auto, and manual cradles are all the same.

For 1991-1993.
1991, the mount provisions are different than other years.
1992/1993 puts the radiator in a different position.
You could use a 92/93 cradle in a later year car if you buy a 91-93 radiator.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:39 AM   #16
Tom Walsh
Tom Walsh is a jewel in the roughTom Walsh is a jewel in the roughTom Walsh is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Just for the record, Most yards I've been to have interchangeability programs. They just push a button and can pull up any car part and what years fit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom Walsh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom Walsh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #17
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

The radiator isn't much of a problem if you have zip-ties. Swap one way and it's tilted forward and sits almost flush with the top of the radiator support; swap the other way and it sits about 2in below where it should...no I don't remember which way is which.

The larger issue, apparently, is the transmission side dog-bone that's mounted on the cradle '91-'93ish and on the frame rail '93ish-'02 (only had 1 early '93's, don't entirely remember it but I also had tons of parts cars so had my own junkyard and so it was a non-issue). If you have drilling tools and probably a spare bolt it's still fairly easy to fix but much easier with the cradle out of the engine bay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote