SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2017, 08:34 PM   #21
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
Default Re: cylinder head modification ideas

Use the NGK BKR6E-11 plug. They have the V-Twin tip, have a higher heat range of 6(stock is 5 for low-speed burning and emissions control). They have all the same specs of the BKR5ESA-11 plug. They are colder for higher-rpm applications.

Ironically, they are the recommended plug for Geo Storm 1.6L engines, which is what I swapped my Throttle Body off of......

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 140k - More rust than paint & no leaks
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 181k - 17.2538 @ 77.91mph w/Stock TB
Mechanic: I can't fix stupid, but I can fix what stupid does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2017, 05:08 PM   #22
2002SL2mp2dohc
2002SL2mp2dohc is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

So I was wondering can you tell me more about the EGR would that cause the spark plugs to have high speed gazing.
Also I`m not sure if we`re on the same page so just to confirm your talking about ceramic white part on the spark plug, where the end wire slides over or the metal tip where the spark is happening. I`m referring to white part that wire slides over is where I`m getting orange burning type stuff. (think the term I heard use is blow back)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2002SL2mp2dohc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2002SL2mp2dohc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2002SL2mp2dohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #23
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

If the issue is within the combustion chamber part of the plug refer to this chart (kinda dated but has the most clear text I could find)

If it's outside the combustion chamber it's either a bad install of the plug, bad plug or bad valve cover gasket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:19 PM   #24
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Those nice pictures date from the days of flathead engines and rather crude carbs. They provide a gross idea of what might be a problem, indication only.

As to the S-Series DOHC and SOHC the recommended NGK plugs will tend to run on the hot side for most people. The exception is all short trips around town. The NGK heat ranges are the larger number is the colder plug. A 6 is colder than a 5. The SOHC will tolerate 2 steps colder and the DOHC is fine with a single step, a place to start.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:26 PM   #25
2002SL2mp2dohc

2002 SL1

Well I think I should try to explain it better, What I'm trying to say is that the problem is outside the combustion chamber. My spark plugs look like these (My apologizes on image size still getting to learn how to post with images)

Last edited by 2002SL2mp2dohc; 09-23-2017 at 07:36 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2002SL2mp2dohc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2017, 07:41 PM   #26
2002SL2mp2dohc

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002SL2mp2dohc View Post
Well I think I should try to explain it better, What I'm trying to say is that the problem is outside the combustion chamber. My spark plugs look like these (My apologizes on image size still getting to learn how to post with images)
Car has new valve pan gasket and I put the spark plugs in as tight as I can get them

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2017, 09:07 PM   #27
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

While fetchitfido's plug chart may be dated, its still a good reference to learn about heat range, damage, excessive oil, lean or rich fuel and additives. There's always a learning curve. To back up plug charts shown, here's a link to NGK's site and videos about plugs; https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-ngk/videos.

BTW, when posting images, try posting the heart of the matter. In this case, showing the plug firing ends so a better view of the center porcelain/electrode tip reveals ceramic discoloration. Use the plug chart images as examples of how to display yours.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:20 AM   #28
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Those fine center electrode tipped plugs will never function correctly in these engines.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:02 PM   #29
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Looks like you have some oil on the boots and it possibly burned into the ceramics. Those plugs don't look to be correct for a Saturn 1.9L engine.

I had my #3 cylinder come out, looking like that, or maybe it was #2. I now there was some residual oil left in the well, from when I replaced the valve cover gasket last year.

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 140k - More rust than paint & no leaks
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 181k - 17.2538 @ 77.91mph w/Stock TB
Mechanic: I can't fix stupid, but I can fix what stupid does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #30
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1

Source yourself a 1st gen, 5bolt head with Flat Face valves and get yourself a header.

If you can find one in the junkyard with the valve cover still on, pull it, lap the valves, maybe change the valve stem seals, and call it a day.

/cheap, simple improvements

Of course you'll have to change about 10-15 different other things to complete that swap. lol
Have fun.

'02 SL1.414213562^2, Deebs ftw

Last edited by AlexofNazareth; 11-08-2017 at 05:41 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote