SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #1
HankHill
HankHill is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1
Default Junkyard radiator... worth taking a chance?

Got a leak that seems to be coming from one of the radiator fins.... For a long time it was slow enough that I could add some coolant once every couple months, but within the past few weeks it's started leaking faster.

I haven't been to the local yard in a while, so I don't know if any of the S series cars there even have decent looking radiators. But if they do, would that be worth taking a chance on? I think my worry would be that there's some corrosion/debris in the transmission cooler loop that would find its way into my trans.

If not, what are the recommended aftermarket replacements? I found an old thread (http //www saturnfans com/forums/archive/index php/t-171023 html) where OldNuc recommended Silla or Delphi, but neither of those models seem to be available any more. This car really isn't worth spending more than $70 or so on.

'97 SC1 Auto - Shaturn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HankHill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HankHill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HankHill is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2
Default Re: Junkyard radiator... worth taking a chance?

Get a new radiator.
Don't get a used JunkYard one that would probably have the same weak point that causes these radiators to be eventually replaced.
If your Saturn rolls it is worth spending $70.00 on.
- otherwise you can lease an Escalade for $899 a month (as seen on TV)

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #3
HankHill

1997 SC1

I get what you're saying... pretty much what I was expecting to hear about the junkyard option. But there is quite a range in price for the "new" radiators for these cars. On partsgeek.com, they range from $55 (TYC) to $155 (AC Delco). Amazon has one (Sunbelt) for $48.

If there are folks on here who have had good experience with the radiators on the cheaper end of the range, then for me it's a lot easier to justify one of those.

If I end up having to spend $155 for the ACDelco, then when it's all said and done I'll have spent ~$180 in parts, shipping, and coolant on a car that I probably couldn't sell for much more than $600-$700 because of a list of other issues with it.

'97 SC1 Auto - Shaturn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help HankHill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #4
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

I put in a junkyard radiator that came off a car 117k. It still works but this was a few months ago. Obviously you are taking that risk that something could be wrong with it. I rolled the dice anyways and its still fine for now, no obvious issues, my coolant still looks nice and green (it was originally filled with green) and no overheating. I inspected it for any cracks or leaks, and cleaned it out with a hose before using it

I did it because i wasnt sure about the cheap radiators i saw, that were straight hit or miss. The reviews said that the radiator was good for a short time then something would break. And the car i got mine off of was well maintained with little rust, unlike the other cars thee that smell like cat urine and cigarettes with 200-300k and a load of rust.

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(This car is cursed)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-170k currently (jun 2017)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:18 AM   #5
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

New ones are so cheap why would you even bother?

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #6
HankHill

1997 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
New ones are so cheap why would you even bother?
I guess I'm trying to ask if the "cheap" ones are any good or not. If the ones in the $50-$60 range are known to last for years and years (or a specific brand within that range), then yes, it's an easy choice. Based on what I saw in the 6-year old thread mentioned in the OP (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/arc.../t-171023.html), I get the impression that's not the case though.

'97 SC1 Auto - Shaturn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Examine the warranty offered from each manufacturer/distributor and pricing. There's a range of prices with at least two giving a limited lifetime warranty - one is double the price of the other. Just be aware, domestic brand names may no longer be domestically made. OEM may be made in USA or Mexico/Canada. Mexico is no longer a third rate manufacturer when GM outsources manufacturing to any country making parts under quality control to GM specs, no different to aftermarket manufacturers agreeing to the same specs. Since labor costs tend to be lower from overseas/Mexico, prices reflect this as lower and better competition.

Your choice to go with questionable junk yard radiators unless you spot one in immaculate condition or buy one with a good warranty at very competitive prices.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #8
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Given the age of these cars and the miles they are accumulating a $75 (I have used these https://smile.amazon.com/Spectra-Pre...eries+radiator) lasts just fine. In every case either something else went gravely wrong with the car or they were wrecked. No need to spend more.

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

FWIW, last time I bought a radiator, it was an Advance Auto CARQUEST Part No: 431460.

It listed at $93, added an $8 oil filter, bringing it up to over $100. That allowed me to use a 40% off coupon code, out the door price with tax for both was $64.

It's lasted 6 months so far, so too early to tell

I would have bought a junkyard one - there was one that was shiny, few dings on the fins so it looked like a newly installed unit - but the car was gone when I went back to pull it.

My final option would have been an RA1145, still available on eBay, but that was around $120 and I got this one at half the price.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:08 PM   #10
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

I'll second underthehood on the Spectra radiators. Put one in years ago and have had zero issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:31 AM   #11
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2

I can 3rd the Spectra Premium radiator. I purchased mine from RockAuto for my '02 SL2. The fitment was very good and the install went fairly well (minus a small issue at the lower trans cooler line connection). It has been over a year now and it is still leak free and performs well.

I believe they cost in the $60-$80 range, so it's a good deal IMO.

'97 SL1, 136K, Auto, Mint Green (SOLD 146K)
'99 SL2, 126K, Auto, Silver (SOLD 149K)
'97 SL1, 136K, Manual, Burgundy (Gifted to Brother 138K)
'02 SL2, 149K, Auto, Light Gray/Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bachands's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bachands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bachands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #12
HankHill

1997 SC1

Cool - thanks all! I'll give the Spectra a shot.

'97 SC1 Auto - Shaturn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!