SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #1
cgg17
cgg17 is on a distinguished road

Default Suggestions on Oil

Hello all,
I've searched the threads and only seem to find how to fix the oil burning threads, and what type of oil to use while burning oil. BUT, my new 94 Sl2 doesnt burn any. It has 5w30 in it, and I had it filled up to the bottom of the "U" on FULL. I checked it every 100 miles, and am at 500 miles and it has not moved one bit. I used the same exact spot, marked with tape to ensure it is not just the way its sitting. I allowed a 30 minute drain down each time.
So, what oil should I run in this thing to keep it from burning oil? Its not due for a change, but I really want to change it and get it stabilized before burning happens. And once I get the oil in, what intervals should I change it at? I mainly do town driving with back roads, and the occasional highway. We change our others at 3k, but they run normal oil in them (10w30 due to burning).
Thanks for the input,
Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2017, 10:01 AM   #2
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Suggestions on Oil

My experience with having owned 3 Saturn SL2's is for the first 1000 miles or so past an oil change little to no change, after first 1000 they typically would use about 1/2 qt in pretty rapid order, and from then on they would avg a qt at 1000 to 1500 over the course of the oil change interval.
So while you may not have seen a change believe me you WILL.
As for brand and weight of oil you will see many types of advice here. Some on the hilarious and absurd to basically "good".
Overall pick a brand you're comfortable with. I.e. Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, etc. Decide on synthetic or not. I prefer synthetic and have pretty much always used Mobil1 European Formula (it's a 0-40). It seems to work well in everything I own (I used it nearly exclusively in 2 of my Saturns, My Saturn Vue, the Infiniti QX4 I owned, and now my 2 Toyota Highlanders.
Is it right for you? Who knows. I do recommend a synthetic though. Saturn "S" series engines are about as hard on oil as any engine I have ever seen.
Use a good 0W, 5W (on the low end rating as low temp flow is VERY important) and either the 30 or 40 rating on the high end. Many here like Shell Rotella T6 5w40 for instance.
Use a high quality extended length filter Mobil1 209 is one that works.
If you run a lot of highway you can feel pretty safe pushing OCI to 7000 miles or even as high as 10000 miles. IF all you do is around town stay closer to 4-5k miles. These engines sludge up a lot due to their design especially in colder climates.
BTW all the BS you'll read about additives, transmission fluid and so on is just that BS! Also the only true "cure" for the oil issues on these engines is an overhaul with new rings and drilled oil return lands on the pistons. Period. There is no mechanic genie in a bottle

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:08 AM   #3
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

^^ not bad advice, except for the final 2 lines....which shows what one of my relations always maintained, "a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #4
Waiex191
Waiex191 will become famous soon enoughWaiex191 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

We are all different. I agree with the last two lines. I can say that on a steady diet of Castrol 5W-30 conventional that it started burning oil at 70K, and was burning a quart every 1000 at 204,000. My OCI has always been 3000ish. After 18 years and those miles, the engine was in pretty good shape but the oil control rings were stuck hard in the grooves. My nice new pistons have oil relief slots in the third groove. I'll report back at 306,000 miles in 2026 and 408,000 miles in 2035 to provide one datapoint on underthehood's last statement.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, owned since new
5 speed manual
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:28 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Mineral based oils will oxidize rapidly to a hard carbon varnish at elevated temperature while the 100% PAO synthetics do not. This is why hot running engines should use a PAO oil. Failure to do so results in oil control ring failure with the stock no direct thrust face drain back ports to begin consuming oil around 80,000 miles. This is not a new discovery, check my photo gallery. What is new is the oxidation process differences between the PAO and mineral based oils.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:17 PM   #6
rgrafton
rgrafton is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Mineral based oils will oxidize rapidly to a hard carbon varnish at elevated temperature while the 100% PAO synthetics do not. This is why hot running engines should use a PAO oil. Failure to do so results in oil control ring failure with the stock no direct thrust face drain back ports to begin consuming oil around 80,000 miles. This is not a new discovery, check my photo gallery. What is new is the oxidation process differences between the PAO and mineral based oils.
would you consider S Series to be hot running cars?

1994 Saturn SL SOHC 5speed w/130k miles on engine (250k+ miles on car, tranny...etc.)

2010 Subaru WRX Sedan WRB 75k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rgrafton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rgrafton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rgrafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
mattwithcats
mattwithcats will become famous soon enoughmattwithcats will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

Any full synthetic 5W-30 works,
If it’s really cold, use a 0W-30.
A 10W-30 full synthetic can be used in hot climates...

To keep from burning oil, use Shell Rotella T5 in 10W-30 during the summer...

If you are burning oil, use Rotella T6 in 5W-40, good thick oil with lots of dispersants to clean out the crud...

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 78,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:50 PM   #8
mattwithcats
mattwithcats will become famous soon enoughmattwithcats will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2
Default Re: Suggestions on oil

Oil filter, regular Fram 3614 or
Purolator 14612, three and a half inches long..

Oversized, Fram 3600 or
Purolator 14610, nearly five inches long...

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 78,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrafton View Post
would you consider S Series to be hot running cars?
The DOHC, yes but not the SOHC unless you really beat on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2017, 02:22 PM   #10
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

Full Synthetic oil.
I find Walmart’s SuperTech in the 5 (actually more like 4.5) quart jug at $17.87 to work fine for my DOHC wagon with lots of stop and go driving. Cheap enough for 3,000 mile Oil Change Intervals and virtually no oil consumption at 180,000 miles.

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #11
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

I never used synthetic. Always the cheapest available. OCI between 3K and 5K . As stated, keep an eye on it as it WILL burn oil even though you may not notice. You MAY be babying it right now and this is reason you have not noticed. I say this because I normally baby mine and oil consumption is not bad. However, when you take her out and work her hard (long road trip at 75 MPH plus) OR a lot of jack rabbit starts, THEN the oil consumption will be noticeable. High RPM is the key. If you have a tendency to get the RPM up, the oil consumption will follow. I don't do jack rabbit starts, but I tended to go on road trips in which I would go 75 MPH + for hours (most of the day). THIS is when my oil consumption was very noticeable.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 09/30/17: 38,381 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #12
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

^Yep^
I just did a 500-mile trip. When I started the AmsOil 5w-30 HDD was at the bottom of the “U”. After 500-miles, the oil level was at the Full mark on the stick.
75 mph for about 5 hours of the trip.
About 220,000 miles on the engine.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 12 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:15 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That would be about 3500-4000 miles/qt of oil @75mph. Not bad. Some of that oil went through the PCV system as oil vapor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #14
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
That would be about 3500-4000 miles/qt of oil @75mph. Not bad. Some of that oil went through the PCV system as oil vapor.
I’m keeping track. After an oil change, I start with a full quart bottle in the trunk.
It seems usage was/is about 1 qt per 3000 miles.
I think this and the last were the New and Improved HDD with lower volatility so maybe oil usage is less. Maybe. I am keeping track.
Engine still working well, therefore happy

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 12 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If the engine is not collecting dust on all exterior surfaces there is some escaping oil. You can leak a quart every 3k mile and never see it go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #16
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

Quote:
If the engine is not collecting dust on all exterior surfaces there is some escaping oil. You can leak a quart every 3k mile and never see it go.
This is a very significant statement and a tip that I have never heard before.

Good one!

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #17
rgrafton
rgrafton is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1

Quote:
What do you mean by this?

1994 Saturn SL SOHC 5speed w/130k miles on engine (250k+ miles on car, tranny...etc.)

2010 Subaru WRX Sedan WRB 75k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rgrafton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rgrafton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rgrafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:32 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you do not see dust then you have oil/oil vapor in that area. This works almost everywhere in the country as there is dust in the air that will end up on everything. If it gets oil on/mixed with it you will not notice it. Try the white glove inspection trick.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!