SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
mjollnir79
mjollnir79 is on a distinguished road

Default security horn/lights going off randomly

I have a 2006 ion 100000. I've had this problem for awhile, it used to happen about 5 years ago when i'd open my door. with the key(fob stopped working) This resulted in me removing the fuse for the horn.

I dealt with no horn, but then I had to replace the drivers door due to an accident. I got a salvage door and obviously installed it myself(kind of a no brainer). I thought now that the fob works with the new door, I could put the horn fuse back in.

Everything was fine for awhile. Now it goes off randomly, pulled the fuse again to prevent annoying neighbors. And then now it is to the point of killing the battery(which is about 5 years old btw).

I do not have a sunroof, googling showed me that was the issue for some. I also left town for awhile with the keys with me so the fob was far away from the car.

Any fuse I can pull? I tried disconnecting the wires that connect the fob from the door, no luck.

Any ideas? any temporary fixes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjollnir79's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjollnir79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjollnir79 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: security horn/lights going off randomly

Replace the driver's door jamb switch. Unplugging it is the equivalent of leaving the door open. You can connect a jumper in the plug temporarily to see if the problem goes away if you like, but I'd just go ahead replace the door jamb switch because they are so cheap.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
mjollnir79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
Replace the driver's door jamb switch. Unplugging it is the equivalent of leaving the door open. You can connect a jumper in the plug temporarily to see if the problem goes away if you like, but I'd just go ahead replace the door jamb switch because they are so cheap.
Could I just tape it "closed"? I noticed the past is cheap enough not to justify a salvage yard, which is what I usually do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mjollnir79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #4
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjollnir79 View Post
Could I just tape it "closed"? I noticed the past is cheap enough not to justify a salvage yard, which is what I usually do.
No, if the circuit doesn't already close now when you shut the door, it certainly won't close if you tape the pin in.

You must disconnect the harness from the switch and install a jumper to close the circuit. You may find that the plug is very corroded and may need to be repaired/replaced.

You could try shooting silicone spray into the pinhole of the switch to buy some time before you can get a new switch, but it sounds like the switch may be too far gone for that.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:09 PM   #5
mjollnir79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
No, if the circuit doesn't already close now when you shut the door, it certainly won't close if you tape the pin in.

You must disconnect the harness from the switch and install a jumper to close the circuit. You may find that the plug is very corroded and may need to be repaired/replaced.

You could try shooting silicone spray into the pinhole of the switch to buy some time before you can get a new switch, but it sounds like the switch may be too far gone for that.
Just got the new switch, installed it, and 5 minutes later it started doing it again. I'll try maybe the passenger side one and see if it helps. It's draining my battery down to nothing every time. I have a second car I'm using though, so it's not rush rush but still annoying!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!