SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2017, 04:09 PM   #21
rgrafton
rgrafton is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1
Default Re: When buying a saturn s series what should you look for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Congrats on the new car, looking forward to hearing more.
yeah, for $900 it's not bad at all.

Some rust on rear 3rd door sill at bottom around bend (about 2"x3" spot) I might be able to cut it out and do something with it to prevent it from getting any worse. Rust has also started on the driver side subframe, but not too terrible especially compared to my '94 SL.

Anyone have any suggestion on what to do with the rust that has started on these cars? And maybe suggestion on what preventative maintenance I could perform on the areas that are prone for rust??

1994 Saturn SL SOHC 5speed w/130k miles on engine (250k+ miles on car, tranny...etc.)

2010 Subaru WRX Sedan WRB 75k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rgrafton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rgrafton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rgrafton is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2017, 01:40 AM   #22
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

The best thing to prevent or stop rust is a big oil leak soaking everything down...

My dad - is big on soaking the undercarriage, the bottom of doors, pretty much anything you don't want rusting with a concoction of motor oil, kerosene and STP..... He even drills access holes to get into spots that are normally inaccessible.

He applies it with a tree sprayer with the nozzle tip removed so it sprays in all directions.

He will do it on a hot day parked on a gravel driveway, then let it drip off all day.

Does it work???

He had never had a car rust out, and he generally keeps them ten years or more..

driveable

92 SC2
93 SC2
95 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
97 SL2 - cooked engine
98 SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #23
rgrafton

2002 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
The best thing to prevent or stop rust is a big oil leak soaking everything down...

My dad - is big on soaking the undercarriage, the bottom of doors, pretty much anything you don't want rusting with a concoction of motor oil, kerosene and STP..... He even drills access holes to get into spots that are normally inaccessible.

He applies it with a tree sprayer with the nozzle tip removed so it sprays in all directions.

He will do it on a hot day parked on a gravel driveway, then let it drip off all day.

Does it work???

He had never had a car rust out, and he generally keeps them ten years or more..

why Kerosene and STP in the mix?

1994 Saturn SL SOHC 5speed w/130k miles on engine (250k+ miles on car, tranny...etc.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rgrafton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-01-2017, 11:34 AM   #24
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Take a wire wheel to the existing rust and take off all the loose stuff, clean the area with acetone, paint it with POR-15 and spraypaint over top with your favorite rattle can to protect from UV light.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:23 PM   #25
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrafton View Post
why Kerosene and STP in the mix?
You're expecting stuff parents do to make sense??

Bwaaahahahahaha

He claims the STP makes it stickier and the kero thins it enough to spray.....

My theory is that pretty much any petroleum product is going to be better than nothing..

driveable

92 SC2
93 SC2
95 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
97 SL2 - cooked engine
98 SW2

Last edited by onlinebiker; 11-01-2017 at 05:28 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:31 PM   #26
rgrafton

2002 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
You're expecting stuff parents do to make sense??

Bwaaahahahahaha

He claims the STP makes it stickier and the kero thins it enough to spray.....

My theory is that pretty much any petroleum product is going to be better than nothing..
I figured that's why... since motor oil wouldn't squirt out of a bottle really well lol...

i'm looking to possibly do the following to all of the metal on the car --
1) Use a wire brush to remove as much surface rust as possible
2) Use a cleaner/degreaser to clean areas. Let dry.
3) Use POR-15 Metal Prep, let dry.
4) Use POR-15 Rust preventative paint, let dry for at least 24 hours.
5) Apply oil mixture of some kind on everything

Anyone have any feedback on this process? Anyone have any experience with the Metal Prep product from POR-15? Think it's worth it?

also see pictures of the rusting door sill... What should I do with this?
IMG- https://www.dropbox.com/s/4juyupe4t3ik9lr/IMG_6377.jpeg
IMG- https://www.dropbox.com/s/p2rtxtnb0e3dk5p/IMG_6378.jpeg
IMG- https://www.dropbox.com/s/45vye8qe7scvi2u/IMG_6380.jpeg

It appears that the area with the hole is only a thin sheet of metal going across which is why the rust ate it away and now there's a hole. The area to the right of that is multiple layers of metal and the top layer is gone and next layer is rusting away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2017, 12:13 AM   #27
rgrafton

2002 SC1

As for the visible hole, should I fill with Body filler? I need to make sure everything is good to go when I get the inspection which I need by the end of the month.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2017, 10:23 AM   #28
magician22773
magician22773 will become famous soon enough

1997 SL
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrafton View Post
As for the visible hole, should I fill with Body filler? I need to make sure everything is good to go when I get the inspection which I need by the end of the month.
Yikes! So glad I don't live in the Rustbelt!

If all you need is a cover up for an inspection, then sure, slap some filler in there and a little rattle can paint to hide it.

But in the long term, that is going to need real attention. Best way is obviously to cut it out, and weld in a new rust free patch. But with that much rust in the sill, I would be looking VERY close at all the other typical areas under the car, just to make sure you don't put a lot of time and effort into a car that could have serious rust problems where it really matters.

Since rust is really about the only thing that can actually kill a Saturn, in the future, I would consider looking for a car outside of the rustbelt, and traveling a little to get it. The couple hundred bucks spent on a cheap one way plane ticket will pay off in the end.

1994 SC2 Retired
1996 SL "FrankenSaturn"
1998 SL2 FrankenSaturn's Body Donor
2004 Vue "What was I thinking?"
2001 SL1 100k Mile Baby Blue Beauty
1999 SL2 Thank You Tiger!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magician22773's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magician22773 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magician22773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:10 PM   #29
rgrafton

2002 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician22773 View Post
Yikes! So glad I don't live in the Rustbelt!

If all you need is a cover up for an inspection, then sure, slap some filler in there and a little rattle can paint to hide it.

But in the long term, that is going to need real attention. Best way is obviously to cut it out, and weld in a new rust free patch. But with that much rust in the sill, I would be looking VERY close at all the other typical areas under the car, just to make sure you don't put a lot of time and effort into a car that could have serious rust problems where it really matters.

Since rust is really about the only thing that can actually kill a Saturn, in the future, I would consider looking for a car outside of the rustbelt, and traveling a little to get it. The couple hundred bucks spent on a cheap one way plane ticket will pay off in the end.
the only reason there is a hole visible is because the metal at the bottom door sills is actually hollow with only a thin shell of metal. Opposed to the curved metal going upward toward the top of the car which is reinforced with multiple layers of metal. See image - https://www.dropbox.com/s/orheho32sy...78_2.jpeg?dl=0
The area I circled in green is reinforced with multiple layers of metal while everything to the left of that is simply 1 layer shell.

It actually wasn't that bad. I ground down the rust as much as possible. The first layer was the only layer rusted all the way through and the second layer was left pitted after grinding away the rust, but otherwise in decent shape.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!