SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
hoosierrun
hoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nice

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default 2006 Saturn Vue is no more

After doing a ton of work to keep this vehicle going, the 2.2 Ecotec threw a rod at 180,00 miles. Anyone who remembers my posts, you know that I re-built the front and top (new chains, guides, water pump, t-stat etc.) and had the head rebuilt, all at about 155,000 miles due to jumped chain destroying valves.
Then earlier this year, I pulled the tranny to replace the rear main seal. I finally had everything perfect... no noise, smooth, tranny great, AC great, paint and interior great. 10,000 miles later and I'm on the highway at steady speed, put the vehicle in cruise (on slight uphill) and then one big bang followed by cyclic bang, bang, bang. I stopped the vehicle off to the side and had AAA tow it home. The next day I pulled it into the driveway (drove with load noise) but idled good. As I went to pull it back out to the road, the engine seized up and totally locked. The rod did not come through the block.

I'm very disappointed in this engine since we maintained it meticulously and I thought 200,000 miles would be no problem. Heck, I just sold my 96 Grand Caravan with 252,000 miles, running great, and the young man that bought it was very pleased to get a quiet, non-smoking, perfectly driving vehicle for $850. In fact all my Chrysler engines made it over 250,000 miles and were still running. One was 325,000 and a young lady bought it and is still driving it.

Anyhow, we put the Vue on Craig's List, had a few lookers and potential buyers, but yesterday a guy drove 200+ miles with a dolly and picked it up for $300. He has several Saturns and specializes in these vehicles along with a few other picked models. He got a heck of a deal and should be able to replace the engine for about $500 in his shop. I expect to see him sell this for $2000 or more.

I certainly have the mechanical know-how to replace the engine, but with my bad back and advanced age (68), I have had to totally retire from vehicle restoration. I don't have a lift at my current location to raise the vehicle and drop the engine out (let alone the County codes that now prohibit this in my neighborhood). When I had the tranny out, I coated the sub-frame bolts with anti-seize, so this new owner will have a piece-of-cake job replacing the engine.

I'm pretty sure that the new owner is on this forum, so maybe we will hear how it turns out..... and I'm glad I didn't have to send the Vue to the recycling yard ($260 offer for that).

John.... 2006 Saturn Vue, 2.2, 186,000 miles Recently junked out - (threw a rod)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoosierrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoosierrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoosierrun is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2017, 09:39 PM   #2
burlyvue2
burlyvue2 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: 2006 Saturn Vue is no more

Hoosierrun,

Sorry your Vue failed you. Maybe you can pick up another. I am in Vue #3. I had 2003 that got well over 100k before being killed by a lady in a hurry. Then I bought a 2005 and drove that over 230k before it was killed by a fellow playing "find the pokemon" on his cell phone with his head down as he drove into my Vue. 3rd is 2004 V6 and is very nice. Just clicked over 100k and has full maintenance done with a lot of love and care. This one is going to last. I just have to avoid "that other driver" who is distracted or just generally out of control.

Sounds like you enjoyed your Vue. Get another, just not from anywhere in the southern, eastern areas of flood. Look in southwest as I have found awesome deals for under $5k.

Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burlyvue2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burlyvue2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burlyvue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:49 PM   #3
hoosierrun
hoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nice

2006 VUE 2.2L

I'll keep an eye out for any non-flood - good deals... but I'm not really super attached to anything that was made by GM after the late 70s. I was always a GM guy in my younger years, but got burned buy a new purchase in 1974 (new blazer junked out with 57,000 miles on it). I switched to Chrysler products... (maybe a bit better on longevity).

Admittedly, I liked the Vue for its driveability, innovative body panels - style, comfort, utility purposes, and economy. I'm just disappointed that this happened and that I got beat up so much financially. I thought they had made significant improvements in recent years. Just bad luck I guess.

John.... 2006 Saturn Vue, 2.2, 186,000 miles Recently junked out - (threw a rod)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoosierrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoosierrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoosierrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:35 AM   #4
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Odds are that engine was damaged when the timing chain issue came up. It is a very bad weak point on the EcoTec with the chain driven water pump. IMO if that engine was a timing belt engine instead of a chain it would have been MUCH better or as GM finally did. They took the water pump out of the timing cover and gave it a conventional (accessory belt) drive. Those engines take horrible thrashings with no complaint

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote