SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #1
Cmc1111
Cmc1111 is on a distinguished road

Default 03 ion start-up rattle

After doing some research and talking to a mechanic buddy of mine it seems the rattle on start up is a timing chain issue. He suggests I replace the chain and water pump while it's have torn apart. However money is a bit tight right now. Upon further research I'm reading this could be a timing chain tensioner issue? My question is... will replacing the tensioner with the engineered one fix the issue. Or at the very least serve as a temporary fix until I can afford to have the chain replaced. Or is this start up rattle fairly common and harmless? And should I not worry about? Thanks in advance for responses. Any and all welcome as I am completely in the dark when it comes to this topic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cmc1111's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cmc1111 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cmc1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #2
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 03 ion start-up rattle

I have 03 with that startup noise, but it's very short, under a second, unlike the youtube videos that are 1-2 seconds. I replaced the tensioner to the newest version and no change in noise. It was worth it for the peace of mind ($40 on amazon). However, I also removed the valve cover hence extra $30 for a gasket.

fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacek_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacek_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacek_p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:52 AM   #3
Cmc1111
Cmc1111 is on a distinguished road

Mine shakes pretty good on start up but not all the time. And makes no noise other than that. Just wondering if it's something i need to address immediately or not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cmc1111's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cmc1111 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cmc1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:13 AM   #4
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Do the tensioner first. it's not that difficult.

fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacek_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacek_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacek_p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:47 PM   #5
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I had this same issue with my car. Replacing the timing chain tensioner got rid of the noise.

The proper way to replace the tensioner seems to depend on who you ask. All I did is park the car on a level surface, unscrew the old one from the back of the cylinder head, and screw in the new one. Some members on here were unfortunate enough to have the chain skip a tooth in the process, but many have also had no problems. I don't see how this can happen if you are careful, but do this at your own risk.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote