SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2017, 07:36 PM   #1
winegrapes
winegrapes is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Dazed Aura Engine shuts off /but starts 10 min later

Alright hello everyone. Today Ive read many threads to help me T/S. I read the Pass-Key III+, fuel pump, and the Crankshaft position sensor and some others... all had stated about 70-85% of my cars symptoms...2007 Saturn Aura XR 3.6L with 144,000 miles. After driving for 2.5 hrs. while idling the car shuts off, I turn key and won't crank but everything else works, waited about 10-15 mins. and car starts and drove it home. T/S at home, never duplicated after 1 hr of idling in drive. 20 mins aday of driving no problem. Went back out Ubering 2.5 hrs. and engine shuts down again in a driveway. Had to wait again 10 min.s and it started, drove home...T/S at home, car idles for 3 hrs. with a/c on and never shuts off??? I think I have to try to replace the Crankshaft position sensor.... Anyone have an idea where it is?? It looks like it is next to the started solenoid but need to remove starter??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to winegrapes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help winegrapes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
winegrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2017, 10:17 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Aura Engine shuts off /but starts 10 min later

There isn't any specific troubleshooting order but I try to use the easiest and lowest cost method without buying parts and replacing on a whim, hearsay, guess or clairvoyance. Presuming you're describing an intermittent engine die off can suggest several things; fuel, spark or ECM fault. The easiest way to isolate EFI and intermittent problems with EFI systems starts at the basics, checking for fuel and pressure at the fuel test valve and checking for spark.

Fuel is the easiest to check from the fuel test valve. When ignition is turned ON, engine not started, the ECM commands the fuel pump to run for two seconds then shuts off. Enough time to pressurize the fuel lines. Removing the fuel test valve cap on the fuel rail ,(somewhere on the engine) cover the valve with a rag while depressing the valve stem. Fuel should spray out with force. Or connect a fuel pressure gauge and record for pressure. Fuel filters need to be replaced every 100k miles. I do not know what fuel pressure should be but a rough guess would be between 35-60 psi. No fuel or dribbling means a fuel issue.

Spark is checked in one of several ways; direct spark plug observation of plugs can be removed or indirectly by spraying starting fluid into the throttle body.

With an intermittent dying engine, spark and fuel tests should be performed as soon as the engine dies off, not wait for the problem to disappear. Here's the sum of everything you need to know for the last test after understanding a fuel and spark test yet both are operating one moment and both may be dead right after the engine dies. The crank sensor may be failing from engine heat. The crank sensor must output precise timing signals when the engine is turning whether starting or running. Crank sensor signals allows the ECM to operate the entire EFI system; turn on fuel pump, operate ignition system pulse injectors. Dead or intermittent crank sensor = dead fuel pump, dead ignition system and dead injectors. Check rockauto parts for pictures of your crank sensor. The bolt hole and top part of this sensor is all you'll see on the engine and connected to either a two or three wire harness. It's always mounted where it's in close proximity to the crankshaft timing wheel behind the engine block - the length of the sensor reaches in and senses the teeth on the timing wheel within 1/4 of an inch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:56 AM   #3
winegrapes

2007 AURA XR

The fuel and spark are fine. But right after the engine shuts off, it won't even turn over, just dashboard lights up as key is turned. So next time, if there is another time, I will check fuel and spark when engine shuts down. I'll have the crankshaft position sensor today and throw it in. Again, the car ran in the driveway for 3 hrs. straight with a/c on and never shut down, maybe driving is the only way to test, Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help winegrapes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If the engine won't turn over, do you mean dead silence as in no starter noises with engine not cranking or starter and engine turns over but engine doesn't fire up? Which is it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2017, 05:55 PM   #5
winegrapes

2007 AURA XR

I mean when engine stops running (dies, stops) while I'm driving, I navigate to side of road under inertia power. Then if I turn key there is no starter sound, no crank sound, just dashboard lights up LIKE a normal startup. So after this happens I checked no no sound from fuel pump. After 10-20 mins it starts again. I changed to crank position sensor today and same thing happened. Drove 8 miles and engine shut down or off. But after 20min. it did not crank, no starter sound. So I opened hood and the relays and the large aluminum cooling block, (computer??) were very hot, even after 40 min. so I left the fuse/relay cover off and 15 min. later it started and I drove 2 miles home..... The temp gauge in car read great. Do you know if the relays and that large aluminum block is suppose to get REAL hot?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Was this problem ever fixed? Is this related to your other post about a GPS vehicle disabling device used on vehicles with loan payments when monthly payments are missed? Link; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223936

Last edited by fdryer; 11-03-2017 at 01:58 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!