SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2017, 02:02 PM   #1
Zeebins
Zeebins is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Unusual water leak

Or, maybe it isn't even a leak at all?

So yesterday morning I went to grab a beach towel that I keep on the floor back to dry some of the condensation off the inside of the winshield. The towel felt kinda wet but I didn't make much of it, it's been really humid lately so I just thought it soaked up some moisture from the air. Eariler this afternoon though when I went to put it back I noticed the floor mat was pretty wet. I pulled them out (I have two on each side for some reason) and the floor was soaked. It had a squish to it like a towel you're wringing out. My first thought was a leak since it rained pretty hard on Sunday and Monday but that was a few days ago now. After looking around more it just seemed strange. Only the area directly under the mats, on both sides, was wet. Or at least noticeably anyway. I'm currently drying the floor with some towels pressed onto it but I'm still really confused at how this could have happened. Is there a way that this could actually be a leak somewhere and only the floor never dried? I'm not really sure what to do about this beyond drying the floor. This might just be a lot of moisture in the air but I still wanted to make a post about it anyway
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2348.jpg (209.8 KB, 17 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: Unusual water leak

Well, if your windows were up, and if you had a sunroof, you'd know if that had leaked, the only best guess would be to raise the rear end, examine the underside of both floor pans and determine if both areas are damaged from rust-through or something striking these pans to allow puddles to seep in there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:19 AM   #3
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

That is exactly what my floor looked like last week when I left the sunroof open overnight and it rained. That doesn't help you much though...

I have no idea what would be leaking in your car to cause so much wetness. If you had a sunroof I'd suspect the rear sunroof drains were disconnected. They run down the back pillars. Do you have a sunroof?

I'd be pulling that carpet out if I were in your position and getting it dried out. It will not dry out quickly in the car especially in the cooler weather. Pulling the carpet is not too hard; don't be intimidated.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:54 AM   #4
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
I'd be pulling that carpet out if I were in your position and getting it dried out. It will not dry out quickly in the car especially in the cooler weather. Pulling the carpet is not too hard; don't be intimidated.
Is there a guide somewhere on how to remove the carpet?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #5
Zeebins

1997 SL2

So I looked into how to remove the carpet and I'll probably just stick with my towel meathod of getting the water out, it works well enough ant it's still warm enough outside for the rest to air dry (74 today actually)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

IF you have a box fan and can run an extension out, blowing air over it will help (windows open to carry moisture out)

You must have seen that removing carpets = remove both seats, center console, trim etc. Not really that bad, but very time consuming.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote