SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #21
'02SilverSL1
'02SilverSL1 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: New OEM EGR fixed SL1 Hesitation Problem for a Day

Sorry for the delayed feedback as the Saturn was with the Chevy dealership service garage for over a week as they were letting it run for about an hour at a time attached to the computer to get any clues to help solve the rough idle.

First off, the computer was being thrown off by having some exhaust pipe pin holes and even a hole that a pencil eraser could go through at the weld joints of the new cat and engine flex pipe. Monro Muffler fixed those areas at their cost. One thing we discovered is that when I bought the car, the previous owner replaced the factory installed set screw in the throttle body with a phillips screw probably so that the idle could be manually adjusted. The dealer said the idle screw was putting out .4V when the spec is .5V. They actually adjusted it to .6V because it seemed to idle better.

When the car is running in park, it idles consistently at 1100 RPMs, which appears perfect. But when the car is in gear but stopped at a traffic light or especially for a prolonged time in a traffic jam, the RPM fluctuates between 500-700RPM's and it's very rough. It still seems like it wants to stall.

The new code I get is P0507 - Idle Control System RPM is higher than expected. The PCM apparently doesn't like that the idle set screw has been circumvented. The Chevy service dept is at a loss for what to do.

Oh, and the P0446-Evaporative Emission Control system vent control circuit malfunction is reappearing. I already replaced the gas cap.

Still very frustrated with the rough idle. Any recommendations?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to '02SilverSL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help '02SilverSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
'02SilverSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2017, 06:31 PM   #22
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That 507 is a vacuum leak and the prime suspect is the intake gasket if it has never been changed.

That 446 is specifically telling you that the vent valve system is not releasing the tank vacuum following the periodic leak test. This could be a failing pressure switch and NOT the vent system.

The throttle plate stop screw is not set to a specific voltage or RPM with the IAC port plugged.

Part(all) of your problem might be a worn out throttle body shaft bearing set and a hosed up plate stop screw. Go to JY and pull a TB from a low mileage SOHC engine of 00-02 vintage with both sensors and just swap in in for yours. Clean it first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #23
'02SilverSL1

OldNuc, I took your advice and bought a TB from the junk yard, cleaned it with carb cleaner and installed it. Unfortunately, it didn't help the rough idle. In fact, not only does it idle low and rough between 400-600 RPM in gear, while stopped, but it does the same in park which it never did before. At least the plate stop screw is original. It is a torx set screw with a raised post in the center. Appears that it's not meant to be adjusted. Does the IAC communicate to the ECM to determine the proper idle? The rough idle shakes the engine to the point where the whole vehicle shakes. My wife says it too dangerous for my son to drive, so I'm driving it until I can figure out how to fix it.

Still have the 507 and 446 codes. Can you tell me why a 507 - High Idle Speed is faulting when I have low idle RPM?

Again, any advice is greatly appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help '02SilverSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-02-2017, 09:11 PM   #24
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The 446 is a vent solenoid failure to vent tank and release the vacuum following a leak test.

The 507 is strange.

What did that throttle body come off of, year model?
Have you changed the plugs and wires by any chance?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-02-2017, 10:36 PM   #25
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Take a look at the IAC wiring and see if the connector has ever been replaced.

Do you have a scanner that will read the engine RPM from the PCM?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #26
'02SilverSL1

First, to answer your questions from last night, the TB came off of an '02 1.9L SOHC SL1, just like mine. The stamped part number on the aluminum cast surface was identical to mine. I'm confident it's the same part and everything looked in good condition. I made multiple swaps of the IAC and TPS with my newer sensors and there was no difference in performance. The IAC and TPS wiring harnesses are also original. I even sprayed CRC electronic cleaner in them even though the contacts were nice and clean.

I just have a basic Innova 3030 scanner. I'm not sure if it can read the engine RPM from the PCM. I can bring the car to my local Chevy dealership and they'll check for me at no charge. They are just as befuddled by this rough idle and want to help me solve it. Please let me know what else they should check from the scanner.

As you might recall, this car has a remanufactured Rockauto engine with about 20,000 miles now. I replaced the plugs, wires, coil packs and ICM with the new engine. A lot of money in this sentimental vehicle.

Just curious, OldNuc, are you a former Saturn technician?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #27
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Don't run out and buy one, but how old is the fuel filter? Not sure if you can have sufficient fuel pressure (so no codes) but inadequate fuel flow.
This is not likely the cause of your issues, just thinking out loud

more musings . . . crankshaft relearn procedure might be required? Since engine was replaced. apparently, the car will only do the relearn on its own if there are no other codes (and AC is off)
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=114582

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64863

I'd wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to chime in before doing anything - we're already above my pay grade

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote