SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
Xangelix
Xangelix is on a distinguished road

Default Help requested: Astra passenger seat woes

First time poster, here. I just picked up a 2008 Saturn Astra XR with relatively low miles for the age of the car. It's a lot of fun to drive, but unfortunately when the dealer was detailing it after I bought it they moved the front passenger seat in such a way as to break some part of the mechanism.

I can get the seat back to lock in the upright position and adjust it up and down with the wheel, but for some reason the mechanism that slides the seat forward and back won't disengage and it's stuck about as far forward as it will go. I've poked around a bit underneath but wasn't really able to do much. The next step is taking the whole seat out and poking at it some more.

The dealership is willing to fix it, but they're having difficulty locating the part that broke (I live in a pretty rural area). I'm expecting a call from them tomorrow and intend to get the part number from them, but I was wondering if anyone here had experienced a similar issue and if so, what knowledge they might be able to pass on. At the very least, I'm hoping to at least get the seat back so that I can actually carry a passenger in it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Xangelix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Xangelix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Xangelix is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2017, 11:36 PM   #2
JFS
JFS is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Help requested: Astra passenger seat woes

Have a look at car-part.com.

A quick look there had me find an entire seat for $50. A while back when I wanted to purchase a leather steering wheel, they wanted to send me the whole steering column. I told them to keep the rest, sell the steering wheel to me for the same price, and sell the remainder to the next guy....Saved me on crazy shipping.

Take a few pictures of the broken item you need and be prepared to give a thorough explanation about what you want. Have them text you pictures of what they think you need before they send it. Search regionally, most of these yards/depots are in rural areas as well. Also, being really polite will get them to jump through hoops for you. I've mad 6-7 purchases with them (6-7 different depots on car=part.com) so far without regrets.

Best luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:28 PM   #3
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

You could always remove the seat completely and see if there's any broken parts under it.I assume that you have tried to move it with the seat adjuster located underneath the front of the seat.

Do you have a 3dr or 5dr?

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:30 PM   #4
Xangelix

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I'll take a look at the carparts website a bit more thoroughly later on. I got the part number from the dealership so it shouldn't be hard to find a match.

I haven't attempted to take the seat out yet to inspect it since I don't have a lot of room to work and it's rained nearly every weekend since I made this topic. It would be nice if it were just a small thing that I could repair myself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Xangelix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-30-2017, 03:31 PM   #5
Xangelix

Oh, and I have the three door XR version.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!