SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #1
jmd4j
jmd4j is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 Ion Starting Issue

Hey all...long time lurker first time poster. After scouring all the threads on the PassLock starting issues...I have one more to bring to the table that I could not linpoint an answer to in precious threads. My 2003 Ion has the intermittent starting troubles...but never have I ever had to sit there for at least 10 minutes for it to finally turn over amd start. Every passlock issue I've read locks it up for 10 minutes however mine...sometime it may be 10 seconds, 1 min, 2 min... and just all random times. I have the PassLock illuminate on the instrument panel, but if its actually the PassLock, wouldn't I have to wait to full 10 min? This has me puzzled. I replaced the battery not long ago since I assumed it was time anyway as it had been in there for almost 7 years. It seemed to crank flawlessly for a few times after I installed the battery which I'm sure was a coincidence...but thought I may have repositioned a faulty battery cable but then it went back to the no starting after a few days. Any ideas? My next task is to jump the relay on the starter to verify its not that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmd4j's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmd4j reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jmd4j is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2017, 09:43 PM   #2
jmd4j
jmd4j is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2003 Ion Starting Issue

I should also add that this car has 260k miles on it and has ran like a top for all of its life so far. I have owned it since 140k and have only put a battery and alternator in it..other than the normal wear and tear items such as tires/brakes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmd4j's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmd4j reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jmd4j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2003 Ion Starting Issue

If the security light turns off during starting and you don't hear the starter, it's probably a worn out starter if its original to the car. Nothing lasts forever. A simple way to check when a starter is worn out - bang the starter a few times with a piece of 2x 4 lumber and try starting. Another way is to measure for voltage on the small gauge wire on the starter solenoid when someone turns the key to START. 12 volts should be on this wire as long as the ignition switch is held in START position. Beware of the starter suddenly running and turn over the engine - to stop the engine from running, remove the fuel pump fuse. This voltage check is to confirm at least one thing, the starting circuit. Virtually all starting circuits are trouble free but starters fail from normal wear and tear. Seeing 12v on the small wire during START and no starter operation points to a worn out starter. Even if the starter runs but is intermittent, the starter is probably worn out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote