SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #21
LastL4Banger
LastL4Banger is on a distinguished road

2004 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2003 L200 needs love

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
Thanks to cityhawk for sharing this link. I've called them and they were able to tell me, without missing a beat, that they had the part I was seeking. These folks seem to know their inventory very well. I expect that I will make use of them in the future.

http://www.saturnautosalvage.com/
thanks for the link. These guys (Jimmy and John) have been very helpful. As I now (again) have 3 saturns and they are over 10 years old I'm like a kid in a candy store.

since completing the struts on my "new" 2003, I moved to my 2004 daily driver. The first think I noticed was the 'half moon' thingy was pointed in the wrong direction on my DD (see where this is going?). Well of course the struts on my DD were correct. I installed them wrong on the 2003. I thought I had all the details right. In this thread Fdryer had the PDFs for the strut replacement

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160222

where it said
"The half round notch must point to the front when the strut is mounted in the SA9155S "

I read " point to the front in the car. It means to the front when installed in the GM spring compressor. So that means I installed the passenger side backwards. When I realized this I looked at the 'mounting disc' and saw it was levitating above the chassis. So I had to remove the strut and reinstall the mount correctly. One of the 3 screws in the lower mount had popped out but it still seemed pretty solid. So I reinstalled it. I figured I could give the mount a chance and if it started making noise I'd replace it. I'm also past "torqueing" the mount nut. I just give it a hit with the impact wrench.

Now of course the driver side disc was also "levitating" above the chasis. it seems I put the big nut on the mount and the small nut on the chassis. that was easy to switch without removing the strut. So now the ever so faint 'clunk' I heard going over bumps that I attributed to my imagination is gone.

I just have to wonder if installing the mount backwards was a reason for all the failures other posters have experienced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LastL4Banger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LastL4Banger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LastL4Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2015, 12:41 AM   #22
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastL4Banger View Post
I just have to wonder if installing the mount backwards was a reason for all the failures other posters have experienced.
In my case, the strut mounts were installed by two different repair shops. Each time the mounts were installed in the correct direction. Both shops agreed that there was only one way for the mounts to be seated onto the struts. After the third pair failed I was able to get Monroe to refund my installation of the OE brand strut mounts minus sales tax.

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:12 PM   #23
LastL4Banger

2004 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2005 VUE 2.2L

Busy summer so not much got done on the "new" L. I fixed the water leak. Yea, the car had a constant smell of "hay". maybe it was mildew but it reminded me of hay. Since the AC didn't work, that was easily ruled out. I thought it may have been the sealing strip on the windshield. Turned out the passenger door was bent (it's what the glass guy said). With the carpet pulled up, it took over a week for the carpet and firewall mat to dry out.

shortly after that the car wouldn't start. Started checking "car wont start threads" but the next day it started right up. But, the odometer stopped working and now reads 694,xxx. it went from 140xxx to 694xxx. so I figured it was time to take it to the dealer to get a new BCM. Well the dealer said they didn't want to be bothered. they said that. so I'm going to have to give these guys a call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
Try calling these guys . . . http://www.autoecms.com/
Anybody take out their BCMs and replace it?

(and so far so good with the Moog strut mounts)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help LastL4Banger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #24
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

The lack of the hole in the drum is of no consequence. They will work just fine. Yes, it is more difficult to line up the holes, but you can put a piece of a bolt with the head cut off or similar steel rod into one of the holes to keep them lined up. I have a threaded stud that fits the 12mm threads especially for this purpose.

Regarding the BCM, I would at least pull out the old one and inspect all the connections at the gang plugs and the connected ground packs for corrosion, broken wires, etc., before going whole hog with replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:11 PM   #25
LastL4Banger

2004 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2005 VUE 2.2L

I finally broke down and went to Chevrolet and bought the BCM and had them program it. While the odometer not working was annoying it was the lack of a horn that was just too much. You just cant drive a car in NY without a horn. Well 600 bucks later, the AC compressor will come onand the interior lights work. And the odometer shows 70K vs the 140K when I bought it vs the 694K when it broke. The door lock button doesn't lock the doors (when the door is open) and the horn still doesn't work. I have to fix the horn so I'll go thru the Alldata flow chart to fix it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-19-2016, 06:12 PM   #26
LastL4Banger

2004 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2005 VUE 2.2L

So I fixed the horn. Bought a horn relay from Rock auto because for 13 bucks it seemed like the easiest thing to try. So I go to put it in and I see itís the same relay as the DRL but its upside down to that relay. So I turn it around and now the horn works. It looked like the stock relay so I can only assume it was turned upside down on purpose. Must have had something to do with the bad BCM I replaced. Who knows.

Also replaced the passenger side inner fender. It had met the front tire in anger at some point and missing a lot of clips. They actually sell the fender at Rockauto. While I was at it I changed the drive belt for another 8 bucks since removing the wheel and inner fender is the hardest part. When I took the fender out some plastic wrapped foam piece fell out of the wheel well between the tire and the door. Probably popped out when the tire met the inner finder. It was a bit of a puzzle how to put it back in. Kinda snugs into place once you get the orientation right. Never noticed it before. When you open the front doors you can see it in the crack.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-24-2016, 09:14 PM   #27
FutureSat
FutureSat has a spectacular aura aboutFutureSat has a spectacular aura aboutFutureSat has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL1
2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Dizzy Re: 2003 L200 needs love

Okay I'm very confused about the L-series Front Strut mounts.

It says, point to the front.. as shown in the picture attached. (This is only the passenger side, as shown in the Picture).

So the passenger side, exactly as shown in the picture. Points towards the front.

The confusion I have is the Driver's Side Front Strut Mount, Which in my case is levitating. (I looked on other Saab 9-5's and L-series Driver's side front strut mount, The Notch is reversed and points to the back).

I made a pic, with a paint program to explain what my observations were from stock positions.

Can someone please confirm this, The Factory L series Manuals talk about point to the Front and reference some A8970#### number. But this only shows the Passenger Side Strut mount tower position. and Doesn't talk about the driver's side or show any reference to the driver's side front strut mount.

As mentioned, in my case.. I looked on other L-series & 9-5 Vehicles and the notch position is how I have drawn them in the paint program, shown in the attached picture.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2016-05-27 at 6.01.26 PM.png (76.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg '00-'02_Saturn_L-Series_Sedan.jpg (118.8 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FutureSat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FutureSat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FutureSat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:18 PM   #28
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Umm, I encountered the same problem when replacing my struts. I swore I remembered which way the notch faced while struggling to remove the rusted top nut but when I removed it and disassembled the passenger side strut. When I prepared to reassemble all the parts, I lost track. I re-read the instructions and found the same conflicting drawings against written instructions so I decided to err on the side of instructions. I added texts to copies of drawings below. It appears L200's and L300's share the same struts and shocks. If it can be presumed the notched plastic pieces are not symmetrical, they must be positioned so the angle of the notched plastic piece coincides with the chassis hole where the strut tower pokes thru and centered with the hard rubber top piece. I decided to place both notches facing towards the front of the car. The driver's side strut did show the notch facing front but I don't remember the passenger side........ I make mistakes too. Using deductive reasoning, with no mention of pointing the notch towards the rear of the car anywhere in the repair procedures, I'm guessing this means both notches are pointed to the front.

If anyone can make this issue any clearer I'm open to criticism (and possibly redoing one or both struts again ). I can't tell if there's any difference with pointing both notches forward when driving.

This is the instruction from the service manual;

When compressing the spring, the upper seat must be properly positioned. The half round notch must point to the front when the strut is mounted in the SA9155S .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SA9155S.jpg (199.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SA9155S-1.jpg (156.0 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:18 PM   #29
LastL4Banger

2004 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Umm, I encountered the same problem when replacing my struts. I swore I remembered which way the notch faced while struggling to remove the rusted top nut but when I removed it and disassembled the passenger side strut. When I prepared to reassemble all the parts, I lost track. I re-read the instructions and found the same conflicting drawings against written instructions so I decided to err on the side of instructions. I added texts to copies of drawings below. It appears L200's and L300's share the same struts and shocks. If it can be presumed the notched plastic pieces are not symmetrical, they must be positioned so the angle of the notched plastic piece coincides with the chassis hole where the strut tower pokes thru and centered with the hard rubber top piece. I decided to place both notches facing towards the front of the car. The driver's side strut did show the notch facing front but I don't remember the passenger side........ I make mistakes too. Using deductive reasoning, with no mention of pointing the notch towards the rear of the car anywhere in the repair procedures, I'm guessing this means both notches are pointed to the front.

If anyone can make this issue any clearer I'm open to criticism (and possibly redoing one or both struts again ). I can't tell if there's any difference with pointing both notches forward when driving.

This is the instruction from the service manual;

When compressing the spring, the upper seat must be properly positioned. The half round notch must point to the front when the strut is mounted in the SA9155S .
As I have actually installed a strut backwards I'm probably the resident expert on this. The key is the "half round notch must point to the front when in the spring compressor tool". My brain read it as "The half round notch must point to the front "of the car". read it this way:

"when the strut is mounted in the spring compressor tool (SA9155S), the half round notch must point to the front of the tool. "

when all else fails, the strut mount is made to make the strut lean outward a slight bit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-30-2016, 10:46 PM   #30
FutureSat
FutureSat has a spectacular aura aboutFutureSat has a spectacular aura aboutFutureSat has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL1
2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastL4Banger View Post
As I have actually installed a strut backwards I'm probably the resident expert on this. The key is the "half round notch must point to the front when in the spring compressor tool". My brain read it as "The half round notch must point to the front "of the car". read it this way:

"when the strut is mounted in the spring compressor tool (SA9155S), the half round notch must point to the front of the tool. "

when all else fails, the strut mount is made to make the strut lean outward a slight bit.
This is Wrong Information LastL4Banger. The Manual Does NOT say 'must point to the front of the tool'. attached is a screen shot of the L series manual on the front suspension. You can read it yourself, It's a general statement. Front indicates from the diagram the arrow on the passenger side clearly points to the front of the vehicle.

This is the problem with it, it's not specific like other manufacturer manuals.

It doesn't talk about the notch position on the driver's side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-07-30 at 11.35.08 PM.jpg (62.1 KB, 8 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FutureSat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FutureSat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FutureSat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:36 PM   #31
LastL4Banger

2004 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureSat View Post
This is Wrong Information LastL4Banger. The Manual Does NOT say 'must point to the front of the tool'. attached is a screen shot of the L series manual on the front suspension. You can read it yourself, It's a general statement. Front indicates from the diagram the arrow on the passenger side clearly points to the front of the vehicle.

This is the problem with it, it's not specific like other manufacturer manuals.

It doesn't talk about the notch position on the driver's side.
Actually I think your screen shot says it quite clearly in section 5 in the "Important" note. And your screenshot doesnt specify passenger or driver. It just says "strut".

You just need to know that when you have the strut knuckle bolt holes to the North, the half moon notch should be to the east. The half moon notch on the driver side points to the back when installed on the car and points to the front when installed in the tool and passenger side.

and in post 21 I incorrectly stated I installed the passenger side wrong. I installed the driver side wrong. I know this because as soon as I did the struts on the car I'm describing in this thread I did my DD. They were the original struts and the first thing I noticed was the half moon piece pointed to the rear on the driver side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2016, 07:51 PM   #32
LastL4Banger

2004 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2005 VUE 2.2L

I think I solved the mystery of the upside down horn relay. As I said I fixed the horn. I didnt mention it was a weak horn sound. I figured a horn that didnt work for how many years would have built up some bug nest or something. I was planning to remove it and look at it. Well sometime last week it stopped working. Before I can check the fuses and try a different relay I noticed the interior light stopped working. I check the glove box and visor mirrors lights. They too stopped working.

So I checked the fuses and the horn fuse is okay but the BCM 2 fuse blew. It was blown when I first got the car. I replaced the BCM 2 fuse and pulled the horn relay. Then I got a check engine light but there was no code. So I put the horn relay back in upside down and the check engine light went away.

so there is something in the horn circuit that blows the BCM 2 fuse but not the horn fuse. oh well. I'm going to pull the horn and see if it is louder using jumper cables.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-18-2017, 07:09 AM   #33
LastL4Banger

2004 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2005 VUE 2.2L

I'm sad to report the transmission seems to have given up the ghost. It bled out and now does not move. I was going to call a junk dealer and have it towed away then I thought if someone wants to give it a good home and fix or replace the transmission, you can have it.

Here's a list of some things on it
New brakes
new new struts (I had to replace the ones I put on it)
Steering bracket replaced
AC works
has new BCM (old one in the trunk)
Continental pure contacts with about 20k miles
has the spare but needs a jack

The horn does not work. Its works then doesn't so it probably needs to be rewired or hard wired to the steering wheel. Seats are worn. It doesnt have the Saturn wheels anymore. I put them on my DD. The engine has a small oil leak, not even a quart between oil changes. I live in Queens NY if anyone is interested

REWARD EXCELLENCE!