SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
DanoVh
DanoVh is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.4L
2005 VUE 3.0L
Default Code P0455 Bubbling noise in gas tank

Hello everybody,
My engine light on my 04 View came on & the code I got is P0455 " EVAP System Large Leak". I noticed a gurgling sound coming from the gas tank.
Has anybody had this issue & haw did they resolve it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DanoVh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DanoVh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DanoVh is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Code P0455 Bubbling noise in gas tank

Never had that code. Made me wonder just how many different codes there are for the EVAP system. I counted 29 generic codes for the EVAP system.

Is it bubbling (the sound liquid makes when coming to the surface) or gurgling (the sound air makes when coming to the surface of a liquid)? Does the sound just happen when engine is running? Does the car have to be moving? Does it happen for all fuel levels? Have you ever heard it before the light came on?

I suspect a loose vent connection or broken vent line. I would check by removing the EVAP canister line at the purge valve, put low pressure air to it and listen for leaks.

If the VUE has a return line for the FI system, It could be just that. Someone with more knowledge please chime in.

Let us know what you find since others may come across the same problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce Rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rock View Post

If the VUE has a return line for the FI system, It could be just that.

Let us know what you find since others may come across the same problem.

According to Chilton, 2002 and 2003 models return fuel to the tank. 2004 and later models do not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-15-2017, 12:34 PM   #4
DanoVh

2004 VUE 2.4L
2005 VUE 3.0L

I replaced the purge valve in the engine compartment area, then started the car & that's when I noticed the sound, more like a gurgling. I also have a 05 View that doesn't make the noise. Although the 04 fuel is almost empty, but I suspect the noise has something to do with the code it's throwing. Just wondering if anybody has had the same issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DanoVh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-15-2017, 01:32 PM   #5
Bruce Rock

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoVh View Post
I replaced the purge valve in the engine compartment area, then started the car & that's when I noticed the sound, more like a gurgling..
Why did you replace the purge valve? Did you have a code P0455 before you replaced the valve?

P0455 sounds similar to P0496 (EVAP emissions high purge flow rate)

The purge valves I have seen do not have flow arrows on them, but the direction of flow is critical. I had a P0496 that was corrected by flipping the lines to it around. Previous owner had installed it wrong. Far2grumpy posted a diagram of how the flow should be.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-15-2017, 03:06 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

DanoVh, which engine? Updating your profile to reflect what you drive appears under your name to eliminate playing twenty questions.

P0455 large evap system leak is detected after the evap system is tested
every time we drive. Tests are performed first, after starting and driving.
Fuel vapors are collected in the carbon canister with the purge valve cycled on/off to allow engine vacuum to draw fuel vapors into the intake. During the evap system test, the vent valve near the fuel filler neck is closed (normally open for fuel filling) and tank pressure is measured. The evap purge valve is opened to allow vacuum and tank vacuum is measured. The evap system is tested for vacuum and vapor pressure (not fuel injector pressure) and if values don't match expected program values, one of many error codes are triggered. A Large evap system leak may be; damaged evap system hose(s), solenoid valves, wiring, severely corroded (metal) fuel fill pipes, etc.. The evaporative emissions control system is complicated and error codes sometimes point in a general direction. P0455 large leak means during the evap system test, something failed and was detected quickly otherwise this portion of daily driving where emissions testing is performed when our engines are running doesn't turn on the check engine light and emissions tests pass.

Aging parts; severely corroded metal fuel filler pipes, faulty solenoid valves, blocked valves, damaged plastic, hoses leaking from damage or dry rot, etc.. Examining the fuel fill pipes, connections to hoses may reveal wear and tear of exposed parts. Rust and severe corrosion in the Salt Belt regions accelerate underbody corrosion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:11 AM   #7
DanoVh

2004 VUE 2.4L
2005 VUE 3.0L

I had gotten the code prior to replacing the purge valve. I also replaced the purge valve that's in the EVAP Canister, this was recommended by AutoZone, both parts aren't expensive, but after hearing the noise from the gas tank, I feel this may be the problem.
This one is a 2004 4 cylinder manual shift, I also have a 2005 6 cylinder automatic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!