SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #21
Thedeadman21
Thedeadman21 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 03 saturn l300 NO START ISSUE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
Congratulations on correcting your starting problem! It's interesting to note that when diagnosing a starting problem this is one of the fundamental things that we always looked at and would coincide with a battery test when I worked for my father at his service station.

I can recall seeing many cars come to us with starting problems which developed over time due to heavy concentrations of corrosion at the battery posts. This would occasionally require the battery to be recharged, cleaning the cable terminals and battery posts and all would be well. If the condition persisted too long it would weaken the battery to the point of requiring replacement so corrosion is not something to be taken lightly by any of us. The thing about battery corrosion is that it simply creates resistance. Once this resistance is great enough, the power from the battery to the cables is blocked and, as you experienced, it becomes a no-start problem. Be sure to verify that your battery is fully charged. If it's a little bit low, put it on a trickle charger over night. Running a car on a weakened battery means the charging system can be over worked on other problems may arise from that.

Question: how bady corroded were the cable terminals and the battery side posts? I ask this because I've had no corrosion at the battery or cables whatsoever since I purchased my LS1 in 2001. (FWIW, I think there can be a tendency toward expecting complex solutions to repair problems all to often and I sense this tendency in myself.)

It was almost all white around the connectors. My dad had a tool to clean the connectors and within less then 5mins car started up just fine. Now issue I have had since this is my gas shows no gas and I have to turn the car off and back on few times before the gas gauge correctly shows the correct gas I have in my car. Thinking this is most likely my fuel sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Thedeadman21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Thedeadman21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Thedeadman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2017, 12:27 AM   #22
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 03 saturn l300 NO START ISSUE!

Thank you for the reply!

^I'd agree. The fuel level sensor is probably going bad. Unfortunately, one must drop the fuel tank in order to replace that sensor and that is also required when replacing the fuel pump. (Perhaps preventative maintenance would make sense here. Replace the fuel pump as well...just a thought...)

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote