SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
saturn_batterie
saturn_batterie is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Saturn Project

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I spent a lot of time looking to see if there was another thread I could put this in, but I didn't see anywhere else where I could put my idea for my Saturn. If this isn't supposed to be here, the moderators can gladly delete or move this thread if they need to.

Anyways, I have a 1997 Saturn SL2 with DOHC. When I bought the car, the man who owned the car before me put a Spectre performance air filter on it. I bought the flexible intake ducting for it, and moved the filter in a colder spot.

My future plans for the car is to install a dry nitrous kit on it. I am planning to run 50 shots max, because I don't want to blow up the engine. What nitrous brands are recommended for Saturns? I am also thinking of putting on performance suspension parts onto it, and better brakes.

Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_batterie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_batterie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_batterie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #2
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
Default Re: Saturn Project

I believe AMR Engineering makes the suspension components you will want. With a 50-shot of dry nitrous, I would recommend forged internals and a full balance of your crankshaft.

These engines flop around and have a lot of damaging harmonics, due to the camshaft profiles. The stock components are fairly rugged. I just made 10 passes at the track, last night, and I burn a quart of oil every 100-125 miles. No knocks, no ticks, and almost 180,000 miles on it.

But, when you add nitrous or boost(turbo/supercharger), you change things pretty drastically.

Finding forged pistons shouldn't be a problem. Look for reputable machine shops for balancing the crankshaft. Sealed Power, by Federal Mogul, are the recommended piston for standard rebuilds(due to having oil drain back holes that GM "conveniently" left out of the stock pistons).

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 140k - More rust than paint & no leaks
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 181k - 17.2538 @ 77.91mph w/Stock TB
Mechanic: I can't fix stupid, but I can fix what stupid does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:39 PM   #3
saturn_batterie

1997 SL2

Thank you for the advice! I'll have to see what I can do about the Pistons and crankshaft. I'll check out AMR when I get the chance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_batterie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2017, 09:03 PM   #4
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Not a problem. If you search by keywords, you may find some older threads with the information you are searching for, right here on our site, too.

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 140k - More rust than paint & no leaks
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 181k - 17.2538 @ 77.91mph w/Stock TB
Mechanic: I can't fix stupid, but I can fix what stupid does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:11 PM   #5
saturn_batterie

1997 SL2

I saw ZEX has a safe shot nitrous kit that has jets that add up to 35 shots, and I think that's the way I want to go, I'd still stick with 15 or a low number like that. Do you think that balancing the crankshaft and getting better pistons would still be needed? It won't let me post a link, but I found it on Amazon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-15-2017, 09:59 PM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Whole entire forum section dedicated to N2O: https://sixthsphere.com/forumdisplay...-Nitrous-Oxide

I think I'd still do a wet shot rather than a dry shot, and get a wide-band O2 sensor with gauge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote