SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #1
burlyvue2
burlyvue2 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Installing a dash cam

I have the dash cam installed on the rear view mirror post and it is ready for power. I want to use the 12V switched from the mirror's compass/temp supply. It lives under the dome light. I had the same hookup on my 2005 but an having issues removing the dome light on my new to me 2004 to get to the wire to connect there.

Main question is how do you get the light assembly out? There is a clip on right and left but is held in by something else. Anybody know the trick to remove the light assembly?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burlyvue2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burlyvue2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burlyvue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #2
burlyvue2

2004 VUE 3.5L
2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Installing a dash cam

OK, I got the light out. I have exposed the wires going to the mirror compass/temp.

There is 2 green, 1 gray, 1 yellow and 1 black.

Which ones are the switched 12V?

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help burlyvue2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2016, 06:53 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

BV2 ... I emailed wiring diagram ... others interested in ISRVM power - see wiring diagram in post # 3 of this tread:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180666

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:16 PM   #4
burlyvue2

2004 VUE 3.5L
2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Installed and working awesome. Thanks to Mr. Far2Grumpy.

Next is the rear view camera combo with real time recording and view on demand for parking. Limo black tint (real dark) demands a camera.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2017, 10:23 PM   #5
riprocop
riprocop is on a distinguished road

1993 SW2
1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by burlyvue2 View Post
Installed and working awesome. Thanks to Mr. Far2Grumpy.

Next is the rear view camera combo with real time recording and view on demand for parking. Limo black tint (real dark) demands a camera.

What camera system are you using to get both front and back record in loopback mode?

I have seen Double Dins with front and back cameras. I am wondering if they record realtime loopback. That would be my ideal setup.

2005 Honda Accord EX Sedan White
1993 Saturn SL2 Blue Green
1993 Saturn SW2 Blue Green (sold)
*Yes I did have 2 SW2's of the same color*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to riprocop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help riprocop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
riprocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #6
burlyvue2

2004 VUE 3.5L
2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

riprocop,

I am using just a standard HD Dash Cam (Genii) for the front. The rear is setup with a tablet and connected with a USB cable, basically a standard webcam setup. I only need it for backing up as the Vue is typically filled to the roof with parts and tools. Also the windows are all limo tinted so visibility is an issue. The tablet is setup on a flexible pole mount with bluetooth keyboard and mouse and USB DVD. Internet access is via Verizon Hotspot. Storage is increased with a 64Gb micro SD card for service manuals. Entire system is used only when parked, obviously. Can't be in traffic playing with it or "bad things" could occur.

My last Vue, 2005 Vue, was killed by a fellow playing on his phone. Dashcam got a good shot of him, head down, as he drove into me.

I am a huge fan of the dashcam and the Genii takes awesome video. 32 Gb cards (max size) can record for long time. I have a bunch of them and swap them out when something interesting occurs. I was out in the desert by El Centro when the Blue Angels flew in vertical formation right across the freeway in front of me. Scared the bejeezus out of me but the dashcam caught it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #7
riprocop
riprocop is on a distinguished road

1993 SW2
1993 SW2

There any Saturn Rally's or get together in SD? I would like to see in person some modified Vues.

2005 Honda Accord EX Sedan White
1993 Saturn SL2 Blue Green
*Yes I did have 2 SW2's of the same color*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to riprocop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help riprocop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
riprocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:23 PM   #8
burlyvue2

2004 VUE 3.5L
2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I have had 3 Vues since my 2003 V6 bought new from Saturn of West 78 in Oceanside. Never been to or heard of anything like a rally or get together for Saturn folks and their vehicles. There was a time when that happened back east, but not in California . I think that is why I love this site as we can get together and visit and share here.

This weekend is 100k maintenance for my 2004 V6 Vue. Timing belt and pump was done at about 85k, just have to complete the transmission drain and fill. My 2005 got to 237k before being killed (totalled). I hope to keep this one running well past that mark.

This all off topic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!